Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic deduction on the N1

Default Automatic deduction on the N1

If I get an etag registered to the license plate of my car and I drive on the N1 between PTA and JHB, will the toll fee be automatically deducted from my credit card if my etag is not physically in the car?

I'm not talking about the manual toll gates you find on the N4, but the automatic ones that shine purple at night. Do the cameras detect your number plate and deduct the fee regardless if the yellow etag is in your car or not?

Not too sure anybody can help you. Nobody pays etoll in Gauteng.

I think that you need to have the etag in your car for that to work, but don't know for sure, I don't have one.

Ohh i thought the e-tags were white
    Have you tried a reboot?

Yeah it bills you automatically from your selected payment option. Experienced it the first time in September. Collected car in jhb drive to pta and installed etag. Noticed some missing funds and queried it only to see it's the previous days trip .

Quote Originally Posted by goocreations View Post
    If I get an etag registered to the license plate of my car and I drive on the N1 between PTA and JHB, will the toll fee be automatically deducted from my credit card if my etag is not physically in the car?

I'm not talking about the manual toll gates you find on the N4, but the automatic ones that shine purple at night. Do the cameras detect your number plate and deduct the fee regardless if the yellow etag is in your car or not?
    Do not under any circumstances give your bank account or credit card details to SCAMRAL, if you do SCAMRAL will screw you long time and you will live a life of regret.

Your best option is not to get an etag for any reason whatsoever: rather queue and pay cash at manual toll booths instead of getting an etag just to bypass queues.

Thanks guys for the replies. We keep on using cash.

Default Automatic deduction on the N1

Just get a prepaid etag, top up as needed. Been using it for a while now and predominantly useful for other tolls as jhb-pta is rarely travelled.

Only time I use inner city toll is late night, time saving etc which is rare. All in all.. I love using the tag at traditional tolls, it's like using KaChing for mall parking, awesome
    Last edited by krycor; 31-12-2016 at 06:31 AM.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by krycor View Post
    Just get a prepaid etag, top up as needed. Been using it for a while now and predominantly useful for other tolls as jhb-pta is rarely travelled.
    You'll still need to link it to cars registration number so better to pay cash each time.

Quote Originally Posted by marioat1 View Post
    You'll still need to link it to cars registration number so better to pay cash each time.
    Yip.. really haven't had an issue for close to a year now so I can't complain.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Super Grandmaster

I am proudly still NOT the owner of an e-tag!

/e-tag free
    The_Librarian:V have a sexy voice
    Ockie:She does actually........................for a woman.

Yip.. really haven't had an issue for close to a year now so I can't complain.
    Got my etag in September, wouldn't activate without registration number

Only time I use inner city toll is late night, time saving etc which is rare. All in all.. I love using the tag at traditional tolls, it's like using KaChing for mall parking, awesome
    If one could use an etag for inter-provincial toll road usage (travel between provinces), I would also get a prepaid etag for that purpose only. Sadly SCAMRAL does not allow that option and still thinks that a couple million Gautengers are going to pay etolls for travelling to/from work every day.

Etags are accepted in kzn already, don't know about hugenot tunnel though

+ Reply to Thread