Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Have you ever tried a diet, and did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanza View Post
    What was your starting weight?
    115kg I'm 188cm tall so obviously pretty much overweight when I started.

My health has improved dramatically, was suffering from hypertension on medication for that but no longer BP now 115/75.
    Doc had me as insulin resistant/borderline diabetic now no longer applies...
    ditto various other medical issues...

Quote Originally Posted by micaryn View Post

My health has improved dramatically, was suffering from hypertension on medication for that but no longer BP now 115/75.
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by faniedry View Post
    30? in 2 months? whoa
    Yep, lost 12kg in first 15 days & then slowed down somewhat... bear in mind I WAS overweight to start

Yes & No.
    Tried a few, don't work, especially that rubbish from DisChem, the Tony Ferguson crap.

Yep, lost 12kg in first 15 days & then slowed down somewhat... bear in mind I WAS overweight to start
    Not to be nasty but I'm skeptical of your claim. Short of liposuction, not sure how one can drop 12Kgs in 15days. Unless you are talking severe weight at 250kg+.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Not to be nasty but I'm skeptical of your claim. Short of liposuction, not sure how one can drop 12Kgs in 15days. Unless you are talking severe weight at 250kg+.
    I don't mind you being skeptical in the least, whatever floats your boat...However a good part of the initial rapid weight loss would've been fluid loss...

well done

Tried it once and never again

Quote Originally Posted by XhosaCliqs View Post
    Tried it once and never again
    Very helpful. Thanks for this. Now we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Not to be nasty but I'm skeptical of your claim. Short of liposuction, not sure how one can drop 12Kgs in 15days.
    I can sell you some drugs that will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    I can sell you some drugs that will do that.
    Bootlax?
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Just reducing it to "Calories In vs. Calories Out" irks me greatly as it is a gross oversimplification of how the human metabolic system works.

What food you're eating, and the macronutrient ratio thereof, has a major effect as to the extent to which those calories are going to satisfy your hunger. Some people might still feel hungry eating after 2000 calories a day of mostly carbohydrates, but might otherwise feel satiated if those 2000 calories were mostly fat. And vice versa.

In the short term people can restrict their Calorie Intake arbitrarily based on a number dictated by a diet plan, but in the long term people are going to tend to eat until their hunger is satisfied. It is ignorant to just tell people to lower their calorie intake without trying to understand why theirs is so high in the first place. Why they are eating 1000 calories over their TDEE and not feeling satiated? Why do they feel hungry while fasting even though their bodies have thousands of calories of energy stored away in the form of fat?

Different macronutrients affect the hormones responsible for hunger differently, and the less hungry someone is, the less food they are likely to consume. They differ in how they affect the body's ability to make use of its stored energy, and they differ in which metabolic pathways the body uses to process them.

tl;dr Some calories satisfy your hunger more than other calories.

On topic: To echo what everyone else has already said, you can't go on a diet temporarily and expect it to keep the inches and kilos off forever even once you've abandoned it and gone back to your old ways. If eating poorly caused you to gain weight in the first place, why would you go back to it and do the same thing if you're trying to lose weight? Rather find a way of eating that's sustainable for the rest of your life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011