Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Angry at "Clickbait" Thread

Angry The Angry at "Clickbait" Thread

We have noticed that certain members complain about headlines, describing them as clickbait.

What makes something clickbait: Online material (such as headlines) designed to make readers want to click on hyperlinks which lead to content of dubious value or interest.

Example: “You'll never believe what happened when…”

Our aim is to provide headlines which inform users of what they can expect in an article, to assist them to make a choice on whether to read it or not.

We can, however, appreciate that users obsessed with identifying what they view as clickbait are not happy with this definition and have a desire to complain about clickbait titles.

Unfortunately, this distracts from article discussions in the article thread - which is why we opened this thread.

Please use this thread for all your clickbait complaints. Clickbait complaints in article threads will be deleted and a friendly warning issued. If it continues, it will result in infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    We have noticed that certain members complain about headlines, describing them as clickbait.

What makes something clickbait: Online material (such as headlines) designed to make readers want to click on hyperlinks which lead to content of dubious value or interest.

Our aim is to provide headlines which inform users of what they can expect in an article, to assist them to make a choice on whether to read it or not.

We can, however, appreciate that users obsessed with identifying what they view as clickbait are not happy with this definition and have a desire to complain about clickbait titles.

Unfortunately, this distracts from article discussions in the article thread - which is why we opened this thread.

Please use this thread for all your clickbait complaints. Clickbait complaints in article threads will be deleted and a friendly warning issued. If it continues, it will result in infractions.
    This MS thread is pure and unadulterated clickbait :

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...2%80%93-Report
    Microsoft employees could monitor all your communications – Report

The article has less than sweet FA to do with the headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Can we just link businesstech with the 4/5 exception articles instead of the other way around? Would be a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6136410418

This is an example of clickbait:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...-MTN’s-network

My better headline:

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    "Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network"

New and improved and even shorter... and includes the word massive, as it should:

"Massive charges for Cell C subscribers that roam on MTN Nigerias network"
    And here is an example of a moron that can't identify clickbait:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ium-processors

Pentium processors didn't have HT, now they do, headline is clear, maybe the #StopClickbait moron doesn't know what a Pentium processor is, and that there are other ranges of Intel processors (i#, Celeron and whatever). He deserves a warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

I think the term "clickbait" is being misused a lot, but there certainly are articles with headlines that lie about the contents of the article.

Example: "Whites are very dangerous"

...and then what follows is an article about a DA run municipality's workers protesting for wage increases and some arb protestor said "whites are dangerous".

It's an example, fair enough, but I've seen it happen: a single line that has nothing to do with the story is pulled from the article and made the headline.

Another reason your getting so many "clickbait" complaints is because some of the articles aren't really well researched, feel rushed, makes common sense or are void of any real substance giving the impression that quantity is favoured over quality and articles are pushed out soley for the clicks and not for the actual content.
    DANGER

Rpm, all good and well, but the Business tech headlines... Come now, you need to agree... holy fark

Edit: I will actually feel way better if the whole article of the Businesstech thread was in there. However, we're baited to go to Businesstech.co.za... Why?
    If the full article is in that thread with the heading I would have zero issues with the heading. But now it's a heading that entices you to go to businesstech and then...
    Last edited by Pitbull; 12-01-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Sweet! So this is like that complaints bin you see next to the shredder in the office?
    DANGER

Banned

I have said my piece before, others have too... no need for me to say one word further.
    However, what took you so long to listen to your readership?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_The_Squirrel View Post
    I have said my piece before, others have too... no need for me to say one word further.
    However, what took you so long to listen to your readership?
    Not listening...

Creating a file 13 for the complaints
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Super Grandmaster

So, if you're gonna copy paste maybe just include the link to the full article...

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/scien...b-animals.html
    https://phys.org/news/2017-01-d-plat...-behavior.html

So, if you're gonna copy paste maybe just include the link to the full article...

EINA!

I would love to see a response from the MyBB team on this....
    Fortune Cookie:
    "Your life will be happy and peaceful."
    Dear Cookie, What drugs are you on, we should share.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGR View Post
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGR View Post
    They get their sources from certain newsfeeds ie: the previous ap feed. Depending on audience maybe this was trimmed? Just saying, the other article also references the journal.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

I completely understand the need for this thread. Most of you guys aren't happy with anything this forum does. If you're unhappy, GTFO. I'm sometimes not happy with certain threads, I don't go around posting my stupid opinion on every single post I don't like. It's really not difficult clicking that x on the top of the tab
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    who are you and why are you so awesome?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast