Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1206

Thread: The Brexit Thread

  1. #1
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    36,998

    Default The Brexit Thread

    Might as well have one place for it.

    UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

    Theresa May has said the UK "cannot possibly" remain within the European single market, as staying in it would mean "not leaving the EU at all".

    The PM promised to push for the "freest possible trade" with European countries and warned the EU that to try to "punish" the UK would be "an act of calamitous self-harm".

    She also said Parliament would vote on the final deal that is agreed.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  2. #2
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    36,998

    Default

    HSBC, UBS to shift 1,000 jobs each from UK in Brexit blow to London

    Two of Europe's biggest banks warned on Wednesday that they could each move about 1,000 jobs out of London as they prepare for expected disruption caused by Britain's exit from the European Union.

    UBS Chairman Axel Weber said that about 1,000 of the Swiss bank's 5,000 employees in London could be affected by Brexit, while HSBC Chief Executive Stuart Gulliver said his bank will relocate staff responsible for generating around a fifth of its UK-based trading revenue to Paris.

    Germany's Handelsblatt newspaper also reported that Goldman Sachs is considering halving its London workforce to 3,000 and moving key operations to New York and continental Europe, particularly Frankfurt, where it could move up to 1,000 staff.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster The Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Tourism and exports have gone through the roof because of the weaker £ - bit of a silver lining. The predicted unemployment hike with the loss of 500 000 jobs over the next two years, post-Brexit vote, has been stifled somewhat by an additional 50 000 new posts, according to some reports. Of course, we haven't officially left yet, but it's not all doom and gloom at the moment.
    "No one ever wins. No one finally loses. Except the dead. Under the sun, they rot together with absolute, biological equality."

  4. #4

    Default

    We are well positioned, as much as the remoaners despise that fact.

  5. #5

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Randhir View Post
    Blah blah blah. Usual waffle.

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    20,670

    Default

    Britain should exit hard and fast even if it's a crappy deal, as the EUrocraps now threaten. After quick new trade deals with USA, Canada, Australia, half the Commonwealth, and Japan they'll be in a better position than now. Call the EUrobluff - within two years of Brexit the European bluster will evaporate and they'll beg the UK to join the free trade zone.

  7. #7

    Default

    Really not liking this. Means I need to guess where this is going for next career jump. Could do without that uncertainty.

    Hoping it stays in London or moves to Dublin. Frankfurt would be OK too I guess but not too keen
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2eU7s3XAA0y4Eu.jpg

    Pretty colouring in, but completely wrong.

    Germany can't negotiate its own deals outside the EU structure, any trade deal has to be negotiated by the EU and then ratified by all 28 members (27 after Brexit) and that agreed trade agreement is what all EU countries have to abide by.

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    64,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Britain should exit hard and fast even if it's a crappy deal, as the EUrocraps now threaten. After quick new trade deals with USA, Canada, Australia, half the Commonwealth, and Japan they'll be in a better position than now. Call the EUrobluff - within two years of Brexit the European bluster will evaporate and they'll beg the UK to join the free trade zone.
    +1
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
    Pretty colouring in, but completely wrong.

    Germany can't negotiate its own deals outside the EU structure, any trade deal has to be negotiated by the EU and then ratified by all 28 members (27 after Brexit) and that agreed trade agreement is what all EU countries have to abide by.
    One of the many hazards of being in the EU. It's like trying to herd cats.
    That said, Germany obviously wields a lot more power than most of those members, and everyone knows it. That is a reality, it doesn't matter if it's not supposed to be like that.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriGuN View Post
    One of the many hazards of being in the EU. It's like trying to herd cats.
    That said, Germany obviously wields a lot more power than most of those members, and everyone knows it. That is a reality, it doesn't matter if it's not supposed to be like that.
    I would say they have additional influence, they might be able to exert power on debtor countries like Greece but could be hamstrung by smaller countries like Malta who are outside the financial influence sphere and can throw spanners into the works of trade agreements if they decide to be obstructive.

    France can also be spectacularly obstructive to anybody and everybody if they think it will advantage them.

  12. #12
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    36,998

    Default

    Woops.

    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    Woops.
    Yeah, actually there were lots of people talking about that. The remain camp never shut up about it, so it's not like we didn't know that was a possibility.

    The EU was also constantly telling us that the single market requires everything else we wanted to get rid of. We'll see. We have other trump cards to play if they want to be difficult.

    Free trade is access to the single market though.

    Free movement and legislation are deal beakers. The UK gov is not in a position to negotiate those obviously, because those are what we voted for. And if we were to accept them, it would be like being a member without a voice, which is even worse than what we previously had.
    Last edited by TriGuN; 19-01-2017 at 03:04 AM.

  14. #14
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    36,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriGuN View Post
    Yeah, actually there were lots of people talking about that. The remain camp never shut up about it, so it's not like we didn't know that was a possibility.

    The EU was also constantly telling us that the single market requires everything else we wanted to get rid of. We'll see. We have other trump cards to play if they want to be difficult.

    Free trade is access to the single market though.

    Free movement and legislation are deal beakers. The UK gov is not in a position to negotiate those obviously, because those are what we voted for. And if we were to accept them, it would be like being a member without a voice, which is even worse than what we previously had.
    Which is ironically what Hannan favours, although he won't say it too loudly.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    Which is ironically what Hannan favours, although he won't say it too loudly.
    Hannan wants access to the single market while having the ability to sign trade agreements with the rest of the world.
    I don't think he cares about the minor details of that access. FTA would suit him fine.

    He seems very determined to swing our trade to high growth regions anyway. Probably more determined than he is to have access to the single market, although everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too. He will be wanting both.
    Last edited by TriGuN; 19-01-2017 at 03:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What does Trump victory mean for Brexit?
    By Pitbull in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-11-2016, 05:50 AM
  2. Brexit buyers remorse?
    By Alan in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-09-2016, 02:35 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27-07-2016, 06:17 AM
  4. After Brexit - options and outcomes
    By Arthur in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 27-06-2016, 02:29 PM
  5. Brexit - :}
    By bekdik in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 27-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •