Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ipid secures warrant to search top cop Phahlane's home

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone knows how much is the commissioner's salary?
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    Anyone knows how much is the commissioner's salary?
    I would reckon around R1.5m a year...
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWizard View Post
    I must be retarded then

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane's entire career should be scrutinised - DA

Cape Town – The DA has called for acting police commissioner Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane’s whole career to be investigated.

The party on Thursday said it had submitted a report, compiled in 2013, to the Independent Police Investigative Directorate, detailing corruption in the forensic services, which at that time was headed up Phahlane.

The report was compiled by CPN Forensic and Accounting Services after concerns were raised about unlawful practices taking place at the forensic division of the police.

DA MP Zakhele Mbhele said the report, which included allegations of procurement irregularities, irregular appointments and a questionable birthday party disguised as a workshop, should form part of the ongoing investigation into Phahlane and his lifestyle.

"This regrettably places another cloud of suspicion over the office of the National Police Commissioner. Instead of focusing on fighting crime, and keeping our communities safe, SAPS leadership are embroiled in allegations and investigations," Mbhele said.

The party also wanted the report discussed in Parliament.

This is the same report that Phahlane addressed in December 2016, when he officially released its findings.

This, he said at the time, was because the report was constantly rehashed "by certain individuals for their own purposes".

Most of the allegations levelled against him and his department could not be verified, according to the report, some due to lack of information.

Phahlane has been under the spotlight following a raid at his luxurious house.

This week, it emerged that the police watchdog's investigation would be expanding into his and his wife's R4.3m fleet of luxury cars.

Mbhele on Thursday said the DA was more determined than ever to end the rot in the SAPS and ensure the police were led by the best possible team.

In order for that to happen, they said, the CPN report had to be dealt with.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...ed-da-20170126
    My views are not cast in stone

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either this guys wife is loaded or I sniff a stink ! Oinkkkkkkk

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean008 View Post
    Either this guys wife is loaded or I sniff a stink ! Oinkkkkkkk
    Maybe his wife took over from Cele's wife.
    Last edited by TysonRoux; 13-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane threatens to sue over Ipid probe

Cape Town – Acting National Commissioner Lt-Gen. Khomotso Phahlane has threatened to sue the Independent Police Investigating Directorate for their investigations.

Phahlane told MPs on Thursday he is tired of the same old allegations against him, and that he did not mind investigations against him, but it had to be done by competent bodies.

He questioned the involvement of private investigator Paul O’Sullivan in the Ipid probe, who he claims joined the investigation when the Hawks raided Phahlane's home.
    More at: http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-cour...-probe-7585268

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wtf, how is it possible that every police commissioner appointed turns out to be corrupt?
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Wtf, how is it possible that every police commissioner appointed turns out to be corrupt?
    They are put in the position by Jacob himself from what I know so that explains everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWizard View Post
    I must be retarded then

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    They are put in the position by Jacob himself from what I know so that explains everything.
    I just find the irony amusing. Police commissioner who should be a model citizen, turns out to be corrupt. Consistently too...
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane on his 'lifestyle, many women and love child'

Cape Town – Acting National Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane would welcome any investigation into his career, he has said.

He has also been the subject of lifestyle audits, he said, and would welcome them again.

And Police Minister Nathi Nhleko would not have hesitated to act against Phahlane, if he had been found guilty of violating the law, Nhleko said on Thursday.

The minister and the acting national commissioner were briefing Parliament's police committee on the allegations of corruption Phahlane is facing.

A confident Phahlane told the committee that he had heard there were calls for his entire career to be scrutinised.

"There is no objection to that. I've got a proud track record as a member of the service. The issues we are dealing with are issues during my time as the divisional commissioner of forensic services and I continue to be proud to have had an opportunity to manage that environment."

Unfairly persecuted

If he had to go back to the forensic unit again tomorrow, he would do so proudly, he told the committee.

Detailing the various investigations into his lifestyle, he painted a picture of a man who was being unfairly persecuted.

This was in relation to allegations that he had sexual relationships with subordinates, was involved in corruption, as well as irregular appointments at the forensic services.

He also addressed allegations of tax violation and questions about his house.

Phahlane said the value of his house kept changing in media reports, depending on the day, from between R3m to R8m.

"I have also heard R10m being mentioned," he said.

Trial by media

What was happening now, Phahlane said, was a trial by media.

"I so wish that there was a car that delivered these bags of money because I would have shared with you, even after the fact minister," a carefree Phahlane said before the committee.

"It's as if we are hooligans carrying around bags full of money taking them to places. It's damaging," he said.

He was even more dismissive of old allegations of a love child conceived with a Brigadier Linda De Wit (Kleynhans), who was at the meeting.

"Now to address my many women and children. If I had a child with her, our child would be coloured. I hear that we have stashed this child here in the Western Cape, maybe we should go see this child after this meeting and you are welcome to take pictures," he joked.

He said he was a man with a wife and children and these allegations did not sit well with him.

Confidence in Phahlane

Nhleko was asked if he still had confidence in Phahlane.

"The question is, this report is clear in terms of what happened and I'm fine with that," Nhleko said.

If the report had laid out different results, he said, he would not have hesitated to subject Phahlane to a disciplinary hearing. And he had told him this.

"There can't be allegations and they end somewhere mid-air like the highways in Cape Town. You must subject them to a particular process. The forensic report clears most of the issues and I am fine with that."

A lot of emphasis was placed on private investigator Paul O'Sullivan and his role in the investigation against Phahlane.

Asked who O'Sullivan was, Nhleko said: "He is a private investigator, I am told. He is English, I am told."

Nhleko attributed the current storm around Phahlane to a fight for the position the acting commissioner currently holds.

He said since the Classen report on suspended national commissioner Riah Phiyega's fitness to hold office, people were "jostling" to get the job.

Discussing O'Sullivan, Phahlane said he [Phahlane] was merely one of a number of people that the private investigator was determined to "deal with".

"He has a hall of fame and my name is there, and so is my minister," he said.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...child-20170202

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane seeks to interdict O'Sullivan from involvement in IPID investigation

Johannesburg - Acting police commissioner Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane is seeking to interdict forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan from being involved in IPID investigations against him.

Phahlane has retained the lawyers who previously represented Czech criminal Radovan Krejcir, BDK Attorneys.

The papers were on Monday served on the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID), O’Sullivan, an employee at his company, Sarah Trent, and Magistrate JR Tsatsi.

Phahlane says O’Sullivan has been targeting him and has the ear of IPID head Robert McBride. Phahlane denies any wrongdoing.

He is being investigated for allegedly defeating the ends of justice and corruption related to the building of his personal house and the ownership of cars, which appear to be beyond his means. O’Sullivan is the complainant in both matters.

“O’Sullivan has unlawfully inveigled his way into what otherwise should be an independent investigation… and is unlawfully pursuing a scheme of publicity seeking, mostly for himself. He is unlawfully attaching himself to IPID as if he were a member of the SAPS and a member of IPID.”

Phahlane says that while he welcomes the lawful IPID investigation, he does not want the case “subverted and manipulated by a private individual for his own personal gain and profit”.

“I have also become the target of a media frenzy,” he says.

He refers to emails he received from O’Sullivan which he says contain claims of corruption against SAPS officials. O’Sullivan threatens him to do his bidding or face the consequences.

Phahlane says he felt the emails were coming from an “unbalanced individual” who asked to meet him so he could discuss corruption allegations against now retired police Lieutenant General Vinesh Moonoo.

“I respectfully submit that if the national commissioner were to react to every nutcase’s emails that are directed to him… this would be a waste of time of a national resource.”

Phahlane says O’Sullivan has a “messianic view” of himself.

Phahlane attached media articles related to the cases against him and the search warrant of his house. They show how the media was carefully stage managed, he claims.

He claims IPID and O’Sullivan notified the media of the search of his house, which was conducted last month. Investigators found an R80 000 sound system, which was apparently from the director of a company that supplied chemicals to the SAPS.

Phahlane said he paid for the sound system himself, and for his house and cars. An independent investigation would prove this, he says.

The relief Phahlane seeks also includes that the search and seizure warrant Magistrate Tsatsi issued for his Sable Hills Waterfront Estate home be reviewed and set aside.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...ation-20170206

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane lied to Parliament - McBride

Cape Town – Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) head Robert McBride has rubbished claims that the police watchdog did not inform the acting national police commissioner about the investigation against him.

Briefing Parliament's police committee on Wednesday, McBride said IPID had documents detailing fraud, corruption and defeating the ends of justice on the part of Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane.

This was in relation to the IPID investigation into how his R8m house and his fleet of cars were financed.

Phahlane has appeared a number of times in front of Parliament and defended himself against the allegations, calling the case against him a witch-hunt.

But IPID on Wednesday told the committee the investigation was started because something did not "add up".

And Phahlane knew about it as early as June 2016, McBride told the committee.

'We have recordings'

"General Phahlane denied here in front of the House and in public that he was aware of the investigation. This is false. We have documentary proof that not only was he informed about it, but his own signature is in the document asking his PA to schedule a meeting regarding the case and that's as early as June 2016."

It just was not true that he didn't know about the case, McBride said.

"Unfortunately for Phahlane, we have recordings of every interview."

IPID chief of investigations Matthews Sesoko told the committee that the watchdog was not saying that Phahlane was guilty.

"That's not our role. Our role is to investigate and present evidence. What we are saying is that what we have, based on investigations relating to the vehicles, the house, it just doesn't add up and therefore it requires us to investigate that."

Once the investigation was complete, the results would be presented to the relevant authority to decide whether or not to proceed, he said.

Whistleblowers victimised

"We are saying what we have so far suggests there is some wrongdoing that at least needs an investigation," he said.

A confident McBride was grilled on whether he had any political support in IPID, and whether he had informed Minister Nathi Nhleko and President Jacob Zuma about the situation involving Phahlane.

McBride told the committee that it was difficult to envisage that the minister would take their recommendations seriously.

"At the moment when we send our recommendations to him, they get sent back from the minister. But we will continue to do the right thing, and try and brief the minister on a range of issues."

McBride told the committee that there was also a pattern of whistleblowers and witnesses being threatened and victimised.

Last year, Nhleko asked Parliament to institute a disciplinary process against McBride but that failed.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...bride-20170215

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phahlane won't answer to Ipid

National police commissioner Khomotso Phahlane has given the Independent Police Investigative Directorate, which is probing him for corruption, the middle finger.

In a letter written on Thursday - the day Police Minister Fikile Mbalula ordered Phahlane and Ipid boss Robert McBride to kiss and make up - Phahlane's lawyers told Ipid he believed he was not being investigated by an "independent investigatory body".

The two have been at war for months after Ipid announced its investigation into Phahlane.

It involves allegations that Phahlane received kickbacks for awarding tenders while he headed SAPS forensic services.

Phahlane's lawyers said Ipid was not exercising its investigatory functions in terms of the "ethos and ethics" of such an institution.

In February Phahlane asked the Pretoria High Court to have Ipid's investigation halted and requested that Paul O'Sullivan stop assisting it in its investigation.
    More at: http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...answer-to-Ipid

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IPID responds to top cop Phahlane with more financial revelations

Johannesburg – The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) filed responding papers yesterday against acting police commissioner Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane revealing shocking new information on alleged "dubious transactions" in the purchasing of his house and vehicles.

Last month, Phahlane took IPID head Robert McBride, forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan, his assistant attorney Sarah Jane Trent and Magistrate JR Tsatsi to court.

He requested that a search and seizure warrant which was used to remove an R80 000 sound system from his house be set aside and that O’Sullivan and Trent be interdicted from taking part in the investigation against him.

Yesterday IPID investigator Mandlakayise Mahlangu responded, opposing Phahlane’s application.

"The investigation into the applicant has been independent and objective," Mahlangu stated.

Mahlangu said the relief which Phahlane seeks is academic as he does not seek the return of the goods seized – the sound system. He also said that under the IPID Act, the directorate may appoint any fit and proper person as an investigator and Phahlane was not entitled to a blanket embargo being imposed against O’Sullivan.

Cash payments

The investigator described how the case came in, in February 2016 when O’Sullivan registered a case against Phahlane of alleged corruption, money laundering and/or racketeering. O’Sullivan alleged that Phahlane condoned tender rigging with a businessman who grossly oversupplied chemicals to the SAPS, causing a loss of R50m of public funds.

"Lives were put at risk and crime scene investigations were compromised by the use of out of date chemicals and wrong equipment being supplied," O’Sullivan said.

Mahlangu said O’Sullivan and Trent were asked to help identify witnesses and this was why they first accompanied him to see the estate manager at the Sable Hills Waterfront Estate, where Phahlane lives.

One witness, the builder of the house, told them that the bulk of his payments were made in cash by either Phahlane or his protector Alwyn du Preez in plastic bags from the boot of Phahlane’s car. Phahlane had paid him R710 000 in cash he said.

The subcontractors were also allegedly paid in cash from the boot of a black BMW as follows:

- The builder received approximately seven cash payments of R14 000 each, an extra R20 000 in cash to build a wall and R11 000 in cash for the stairs, swimming pool and bathroom wall, which all amounted to R129 000;
    - The plasterer was paid R170 000 in cash payments that occurred on a fortnightly basis;
    - The electrician was also paid an amount of R10 000 on four or five occasions, amounting to approximately R50 000 cash;
    - The plumber was also paid in cash in amounts that totalled R30 000;
    - The tiler was paid between R5 000 and R10 000 seven or eight times in cash.

Mahlangu then said they made contact with a witness who told them there were two invoices for the buying of electronic equipment. The first invoice totalled R126 900 and was paid in cash, while the second invoice was R80 075 which had been paid by EFT.

The beneficiary listed was a company called Kriminalistik.

Equipment, including a 55-inch Toshiba flat screen TV, two or three Samsung flat screen TVs and one Jamo home theatre system were delivered to Phahlane’s house from the second purchase.

At this point Mahlangu said he, his family, McBride and O’Sullivan all received death threats through text messages which they linked to a member of the SAPS at OR Tambo International Airport. The sender referred to himself as a cousin of someone IPID was investigating, he said.

It was these threats and interference in the investigation that led to a charge of defeating the ends of justice and McBride requesting that then-police minister Nathi Nhleko should ask the president to place Phahlane on leave, pending the results of the investigation.

'Contact with witnesses'

"There is a high probability of Phahlane using his office and his authority to undermine the investigation. This is also clear from the fact that he has made contact with three witnesses and two of them have since deposed to affidavits pertaining to the investigation and the interviews held with them," Mahlangu said.

Phahlane also allegedly accessed a court file containing an application for the subpoena of certain witnesses and information pertaining to a list of intended witnesses, the affidavit said.

This is also likely to compromise the investigation as key witnesses could be intimidated, Mahlangu said.

Phahlane also established his own task team under the pretence of investigating an alleged security breach, the affidavit said. The task team is led by a General Mabula, who is currently being investigated for the possible charges of torture and murder.

This task team has questioned IPID witnesses, arrested O’Sullivan and Trent, sought to obtain all the information on Trent’s cellphone without a warrant and launched an investigation against the employment of the data analyst by IPID in the case.

The affidavit then went into further details of IPID’s case against Phahlane. It revealed allegations that:

Vehicles:

- Phahlane bought a Land Rover Discovery V6 in 2011 for R765 995, which he sold in 2014 to a car dealership in Pretoria for R650 000, but the trade-in value for the vehicle at that time was R557 500. The dealership paid R92 500 above the trade-in value. The car was then sold for R547 500, meaning the dealership made a loss of R106 632.
    - A Mercedes Benz C250 Elegance Automatic was bought by Phahlane’s wife in 2012 for R482 500. The car was sold to the same dealership in January 2015. The sale of the vehicle was valued at R318 900, according to the dealership’s stock card. However, their bank statement for the period, with a reference to Phahlane, said a total amount of R549 999 was paid. This purchase price was R241 099 above the trade-in value.
    - The proceeds of the sale for the Mercedes Benz were used to purchase a second Mercedes Benz, a new E250 CDI for R765 000, R350 000 of which Phahlane transferred to his wife’s account.
    - In 2013, Phahlane purchased a 2013 Nissan Navara for R322 927 which was financed by Nedbank. This was sold to the same dealership for R495 000 in April 2015. The book value at the time was R308 000, a R187 000 difference.
    - In April 2015, Phahlane bought a VW Amarok which the same dealership credited to another dealership for R362 963 and later R132 000.
    "The effect of the sale of the Nissan Navara to the dealership led to Phahlane receiving an undue benefit of approximately R187 000," Mahlangu said.
    - In December 2015, a Toyota Hilux 4x4 single cab bakkie was purchased for R377 360.
    - In February 2016, a VW Polo was registered in the name of Phahlane’s wife for R230 681 and was picked up by an employee of the same dealership.

This employee said that the Toyota Hilux and the Polo were given to Phahlane as a sponsorship, but Mahlangu said that the sponsorship wasn’t pointed out by Phahlane in his founding affidavit or in his official disclosures.

The investigation into the Sable Hills house allegedly revealed:

- Phahlane acquired the land in April 2010 for R850 000, with a cash deposit of R250 000, and he obtained a bond of R595 000.
    - His bank statements show the proceeds from the sale of his last home totalled R513 994, which was paid into his account in September 2010. It is unknown where the R255 000 deposit came from, Mahlangu said.
    - In 2010/11, Phahlane paid R157 000 into his bond account when he was only required to pay R47 000.
    - In 2011/2012, he paid R143 000 into the bond account when he was only required to pay R36 000.
    - During this period he built the house and the only visible payment into the bond account was R200 000.
    - In 2013/2014, Phahlane’s bond repayments, pursuant to an increase in the bond amount was R128 000. He paid R369 000.
    - In 2014/2015 he was required to pay R111 000, but paid R402 000.
    - In 2015/2016, Phahlane was required to pay R73 000 and he paid R330 000.
    - Between March and December 2016, Phahlane was required to make payments amounting to R51 000 and he paid R244 000.

These payments, Mahlangu said, need to be considered with all the cash payments he made to contractors.

"The aforementioned information reveals dubious transactions in Phahlane’s financial affairs. The investigation reveals that Phahlane and his wife were able to make additional payments of approximately R2m into their bond account in the last five years."

Mahlangu said that Phahlane acquired a bond of R2.2m, but he allegedly never used this money towards the cost of building the house.

"He only accessed R1.1m between March and July 2012 after the house was almost finished and this was used for finishes and trimmings," the investigator said.

Phahlane's lawyer Piet du Plessis, on Radio 702 on Friday morning, denied all the allegations against his client.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...tions-20170421

Super Grandmaster pinball wizard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving around with bags of cash in the boot. Now all the reliance on blue light brigades makes sense. (I assume this muppet isn't the only one doing this...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast