Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Thread: Gearbest.com - Any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSA View Post
    Because it takes Aramex employees, who are being paid a salary, to process your parcel. If you were in business (as I am) and paid people a wage/salary, you would also want to recoup their time spent doing things for customers.
    It takes the same amount of time to process a parcel with a small value as it does a parcel with a large value. Therefore the clearance fee shouldn't change.
    “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

― Oscar Wilde

GearBest.com Rep
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    That just sounds like BS, in effect you are saying customs just make up their own rates based on a thumsuck.
    I truly believe they do. I have enough invoices for us to prove this if you want as it is never consistent. I have seen it vary far to much and I have disputed a few customs charges before as they charges around 10 time the normal price. Just have to choose whether you want to go through the effort to resubmit or not.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GearBestZA View Post
    I truly believe they do. I have enough invoices for us to prove this if you want as it is never consistent. I have seen it vary far to much and I have disputed a few customs charges before as they charges around 10 time the normal price. Just have to choose whether you want to go through the effort to resubmit or not.
    But that's not even how it works. The courier does an electronic filing of a SAD 500 with customs/sars. The courier completes that form with the item codes etc & box 47 contains the info of how much vat/duties you are gonna pay and sars/customs just accepts that info as correct. Do you honestly think they sit there and calculate the value for each package that comes into the country? Legally they can query a declaration and have up to two years to to go back and check things.

Has aramex ever sent you a copy of the SAD 500 they submit to customs/sars?
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

GearBest.com Rep
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    But that's not even how it works. The courier does an electronic filing of a SAD 500 with customs/sars. The courier completes that form with the item codes etc & box 47 contains the info of how much vat/duties you are gonna pay and sars/customs just accepts that info as correct. Do you honestly think they sit there and calculate the value for each package that comes into the country? Legally they can query a declaration and have up to two years to to go back and check things.

Has aramex ever sent you a copy of the SAD 500 they submit to customs/sars?
    Yes, I have seen the SAD500 from them and DHL. My understanding is slightly different. They enter the information into a PC linked to customs (SAD500) and that is then calculated by Customs on what is due. I was not aware they calculated on Aramex side. If that is true, it still does not add up how a R2400 customs come to R650? Electronics should only be charged VAT but it does depend what code they used. Vat is around R327 according to my calculations.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GearBestZA View Post
    Yes, I have seen the SAD500 from them and DHL. My understanding is slightly different. They enter the information into a PC linked to customs (SAD500) and that is then calculated by Customs on what is due. I was not aware they calculated on Aramex side. If that is true, it still does not add up how a R2400 customs come to R650? Electronics should only be charged VAT but it does depend what code they used. Vat is around R327 according to my calculations.
    I would ask for the sad500 for the R2400 and once revised to R650 ask for the last sad500. The only thing that really makes sense someone fscked up a code or something with the initial submission and the automated calculation came out wrong.

The calculations are automatic and done by the system, the initial input is done by the courier. Based on the code entered they will pick up that it's say a cellphone for example and based on the invoiced value and current exchange rate the sars system automatically calculates the VAT etc. There is no human hand involved here from customs/sars side, only their computers crunching the numbers. The courier feeds all the relevant data into their system which is linked to sars/custom and you get your sad500 form at the end of the day. What the courier feeds in is accepted on the sars side as valid/correct info.
    If you look at how fast DHL clears packages (<1hr) and the vast amount of packages going through the system it would be nigh impossible for someone from customs to adjust the values based on a thumbsuck in such a short period of time.

So I would suggest looking at the courier as they are the ones entering the data into a completely automated system. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Last edited by ponder; 15-06-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got off the phone with Aramex, and a gentleman assured me that there is nothing wrong with this invoice, and that he works with package clearance every day.

He said on all items they charge (sounded like he said R290, but I think he meant R260 going by the invoice) for clearance. Then went further to add that on mobile phones they add 7%, but on toys and other electronics they don't charge duties.

Apparently there's nothing to be done but to pay the full R936 according to him, and that I shouldn't be surprised as this is the normal pricing.
    Sorry, Kevin Lancaster aka Newswire aka BusinessTech is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conack View Post
    Curious if the Tariff Code is the same on other people's orders?
    Code is fine, mine came in as 8517.12.90/6 with dhl but the rates are the same.

Name:  0.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  17.7 KB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conack View Post
    Just got off the phone with Aramex, and a gentleman assured me that there is nothing wrong with this invoice, and that he works with package clearance every day.
    Apparently there's nothing to be done but to pay the full R936 according to him, and that I shouldn't be surprised as this is the normal pricing.
    Ask him to send you the SAD 500 document, I would like to see what they submitted. Just redact your id number that appears on the PDF.

EDIT: 7%=R153 + 15%=R383 + R260=R797
    Well that's as close as I come to their figure.
    Last edited by ponder; 15-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping via Airmail(SAPO).

How does one track using the international tracking number these days? The last update was 10 days ago. In the past using 17track I could follow the package all the way to my local postoffice, but the trail has ended with: "Delivered by air transport"

Gtx Gaming
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evilskaap View Post
    Shipping via Airmail(SAPO).

How does one track using the international tracking number these days? The last update was 10 days ago. In the past using 17track I could follow the package all the way to my local postoffice, but the trail has ended with: "Delivered by air transport"
    All you can do is wait.
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtx Gaming View Post
    All you can do is wait.
    17TRACK will still track it to the end, it’s either in limbo and still being unloaded prior to it being scanned in again or the airmail didn’t make it over the sea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859