Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859
Results 871 to 881 of 881

Thread: Gearbest.com - Any good?

  1. #871
    Grandmaster crysis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    2,867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSA View Post
    Because it takes Aramex employees, who are being paid a salary, to process your parcel. If you were in business (as I am) and paid people a wage/salary, you would also want to recoup their time spent doing things for customers.
    It takes the same amount of time to process a parcel with a small value as it does a parcel with a large value. Therefore the clearance fee shouldn't change.
    “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”


    ― Oscar Wilde

  2. #872
    GearBest.com Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    That just sounds like BS, in effect you are saying customs just make up their own rates based on a thumsuck.
    I truly believe they do. I have enough invoices for us to prove this if you want as it is never consistent. I have seen it vary far to much and I have disputed a few customs charges before as they charges around 10 time the normal price. Just have to choose whether you want to go through the effort to resubmit or not.

  3. #873
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    68,911
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GearBestZA View Post
    I truly believe they do. I have enough invoices for us to prove this if you want as it is never consistent. I have seen it vary far to much and I have disputed a few customs charges before as they charges around 10 time the normal price. Just have to choose whether you want to go through the effort to resubmit or not.
    But that's not even how it works. The courier does an electronic filing of a SAD 500 with customs/sars. The courier completes that form with the item codes etc & box 47 contains the info of how much vat/duties you are gonna pay and sars/customs just accepts that info as correct. Do you honestly think they sit there and calculate the value for each package that comes into the country? Legally they can query a declaration and have up to two years to to go back and check things.

    Has aramex ever sent you a copy of the SAD 500 they submit to customs/sars?
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  4. #874
    GearBest.com Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    But that's not even how it works. The courier does an electronic filing of a SAD 500 with customs/sars. The courier completes that form with the item codes etc & box 47 contains the info of how much vat/duties you are gonna pay and sars/customs just accepts that info as correct. Do you honestly think they sit there and calculate the value for each package that comes into the country? Legally they can query a declaration and have up to two years to to go back and check things.

    Has aramex ever sent you a copy of the SAD 500 they submit to customs/sars?
    Yes, I have seen the SAD500 from them and DHL. My understanding is slightly different. They enter the information into a PC linked to customs (SAD500) and that is then calculated by Customs on what is due. I was not aware they calculated on Aramex side. If that is true, it still does not add up how a R2400 customs come to R650? Electronics should only be charged VAT but it does depend what code they used. Vat is around R327 according to my calculations.

  5. #875
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    68,911
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GearBestZA View Post
    Yes, I have seen the SAD500 from them and DHL. My understanding is slightly different. They enter the information into a PC linked to customs (SAD500) and that is then calculated by Customs on what is due. I was not aware they calculated on Aramex side. If that is true, it still does not add up how a R2400 customs come to R650? Electronics should only be charged VAT but it does depend what code they used. Vat is around R327 according to my calculations.
    I would ask for the sad500 for the R2400 and once revised to R650 ask for the last sad500. The only thing that really makes sense someone fscked up a code or something with the initial submission and the automated calculation came out wrong.

    The calculations are automatic and done by the system, the initial input is done by the courier. Based on the code entered they will pick up that it's say a cellphone for example and based on the invoiced value and current exchange rate the sars system automatically calculates the VAT etc. There is no human hand involved here from customs/sars side, only their computers crunching the numbers. The courier feeds all the relevant data into their system which is linked to sars/custom and you get your sad500 form at the end of the day. What the courier feeds in is accepted on the sars side as valid/correct info.
    If you look at how fast DHL clears packages (<1hr) and the vast amount of packages going through the system it would be nigh impossible for someone from customs to adjust the values based on a thumbsuck in such a short period of time.

    So I would suggest looking at the courier as they are the ones entering the data into a completely automated system. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Last edited by ponder; 15-06-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  6. #876
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    On a pale blue dot.
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just got off the phone with Aramex, and a gentleman assured me that there is nothing wrong with this invoice, and that he works with package clearance every day.

    He said on all items they charge (sounded like he said R290, but I think he meant R260 going by the invoice) for clearance. Then went further to add that on mobile phones they add 7%, but on toys and other electronics they don't charge duties.

    Apparently there's nothing to be done but to pay the full R936 according to him, and that I shouldn't be surprised as this is the normal pricing.
    Sorry, Kevin Lancaster aka Newswire aka BusinessTech is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

  7. #877
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    68,911
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conack View Post
    Curious if the Tariff Code is the same on other people's orders?
    Code is fine, mine came in as 8517.12.90/6 with dhl but the rates are the same.

    Name:  0.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  17.7 KB
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  8. #878
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    68,911
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conack View Post
    Just got off the phone with Aramex, and a gentleman assured me that there is nothing wrong with this invoice, and that he works with package clearance every day.
    Apparently there's nothing to be done but to pay the full R936 according to him, and that I shouldn't be surprised as this is the normal pricing.
    Ask him to send you the SAD 500 document, I would like to see what they submitted. Just redact your id number that appears on the PDF.

    EDIT: 7%=R153 + 15%=R383 + R260=R797
    Well that's as close as I come to their figure.
    Last edited by ponder; 15-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  9. #879
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Shipping via Airmail(SAPO).

    How does one track using the international tracking number these days? The last update was 10 days ago. In the past using 17track I could follow the package all the way to my local postoffice, but the trail has ended with: "Delivered by air transport"

  10. #880
    Gtx Gaming
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    13,539
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilskaap View Post
    Shipping via Airmail(SAPO).

    How does one track using the international tracking number these days? The last update was 10 days ago. In the past using 17track I could follow the package all the way to my local postoffice, but the trail has ended with: "Delivered by air transport"
    All you can do is wait.
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

  11. #881
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtx Gaming View Post
    All you can do is wait.
    17TRACK will still track it to the end, it’s either in limbo and still being unloaded prior to it being scanned in again or the airmail didn’t make it over the sea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Similar Threads

  1. Buh-Rein Estate - A good investment? A good area to live in?
    By ArsenalPoker in forum Health, Wealth, Leisure and Relationships
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 23-06-2016, 10:42 AM
  2. Can someone recommend a good medical aid, with good coverage?
    By Hansolo in forum Health, Wealth, Leisure and Relationships
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-07-2014, 09:54 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
  4. Good morning good evening and good night
    By Safferbeauty in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •