Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MacBook Pro - oleophobic coating coming off

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surfs-up View Post
    Further to my above post - I phoned the Core repair group, and told them that I had supplied them with a fully working MBP, it only needed the display replaced under the Apple display replacement program. After getting the shock quote yesterday for a new logic board, I told them to remove the new display, and put my original display back on and return my MBP back to me in the same state that I sent it to them - working.

This afternoon I get an email from them telling me that they have ordered a new display from overseas but it will only arrive in 7 days time. So, what figures....what new display did they fit yesterday that they now had to order another new one from the USA....or was the new display they fitted yesterday faulty, and they realised the logic board was fine all along after they replaced the new display with my original display ? I didn't push them for answers....as long as I get my MBP back, working like it was, with a new display....at no cost.

Moral of the story - be careful of any repair facility out there, don't just succumb to their claims.

A case in point - about 3 years ago I had an electrical problem with my BMW X5. I took it into the BMW dealers, and they quoted me R 70 000.00 and said that my entire car wiring had to be replaced. I told them to stop right there. I took my car away, went to an auto electrician and got him to overhaul my alternator. It cost me R 1500.00. My X5 has been working perfectly ever since...
    Sorry to revive an old thread...but I've just send mine to Core for the same thing.

Why did they order a replacement screen form the US, if you didn't authorize/accept the quote for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the GPU 16 GB is what makes your board so expensive.
    Last edited by kaufen; 19-06-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some feedback. I sent my Macbook to Core about a week ago, and got it back yesterday. They replaced the screen without any questions asked! I'm very happy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took my MBP in on Monday and fetched it this morning so that's not so bad. Pretty much a hassle free experience.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am working as an expat in the DRC. No Apple related support around, only at home in SA.

I need to have the screen replaced due to damage to the coating. Discussed this with the iStore manager in PE. They have to send my MBPr to Cape Town or Johannesburg for repair. Estimated time 14 days. Due to my rotation schedule this will nor work out at all.

I am in SA for 12 days every 8 weeks. Too little time to have MBPr sent to CT/Jhb for repair. Loan unit will aso not help due to the variety of software on my MBPr required for my work. AND, I have to remain in contact with the DRC to be able to manage the projects.

Can someone please provide contact particulars who I could contact and discuss my specific problem with? I do have to stay over at an airport hotel both on my inbound and outbound flights. The Core service/repair centre is located very close to Oliver Tambo. Best option for me would be to be able to arrive in SA - take MBPr to service centre - overnight - pick up next day and carry on with flight to PE. It goes without question that I will be providing serial number, purchase invoice etc before the time.

Any good pointer? Names, email addresses etc?

Kind regards
    Last edited by casspir; 05-01-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by casspir View Post
    I am working as an expat in the DRC. No Apple related support around, only at home in SA.

I need to have the screen replaced die to damage to the coating. Discussed this with the iStore manager in PE. They have to send my MBPr to Cape Town or Johannesburg for repair. Estimated time 14 days. Due to my rotation schedule this will nor work out at all.

I am in SA for 12 days every 8 weeks. Too little time to have MBPr sent to CT/Jhb for repair. Loan unit will aso not help due to the variety of software on my MBPr required for my work. AND, I have to remain in contact with the DRC to be able to manage the projects.

Can someone please provide contact particulars who I could contact and discuss my specific problem with? I do have to stay over at an airport hotel both on my inbound and outbound flights. The Core service/repair centre is located very close to Oliver Tambo. Best option for me would be to be able to arrive in SA - take MBPr to service centre - overnight - pick up next day and carry on with flight to PE. It goes without question that I will be providing serial number, purchase invoice etc before the time.

Any good pointer? Names, email addresses etc?

Kind regards
    I'm not sure they'll do it overnight, even in the UK they were telling me it would take up to a week. You could try contacting [email protected] or [email protected]

Now that I think of it the last time it took them five days from here in PE. Given that would have included a couple days while the courier had it it might be possible...
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bwana, I have sent an email to Core as suggested.

Regards

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to necro an old thread but if anyone has this issue currently, iStore will sort it out for free. I dropped my 2015 13" MBP off this morning. They are well aware of the issue. Warranty is valid for 4 years from date of purchase, so in my case it will run until 2020. They are replacing the entire display. Lead time is 5-7 days. Might be quicker if you live in Jhb. Just a heads up in case anyone else might be looking to get their machine sorted out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123