Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have e-tolls made Johannesburg traffic much worse?

Super Grandmaster

Default Have e-tolls made Johannesburg traffic much worse?

Here is a quick traffic map from 8am this morning - All the e-toll highways show heavy to very heavy traffic - basically any red or brown means traffic is at a standstill, not great at all considering the cost Sanral now want from motorists for adding a lane here or there to the existing highway

Name:  traffic8am.png
Views: 275
Size:  136.7 KB

been traveling to Midrand since 2010 used to take me 45 mins to travel 37km. now takes me 1:30h to 2h each day. 1 way.

Lots of things can change in 7 years....More cars on the road.

Tailbacks through Gillooly's interchange every morning are INSANE. Never used to be like that. Traffic was always slow but stead. Now it backs up for kilometers. Fortunately I'm contra flow - so not affected.
    [O|||||||O]

Grandmaster

Not sure why this is still being debated.

Honestly, traffic has gotten worse the past three years.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by The_MAC View Post
    Not sure why this is still being debated.
    Just highlighting how ineffective the so called billions upgrade were to the system and how traffic has worsened not improved, an hour later and we have 4 accidents on the e-toll highways and it is not even raining at the moment:
    Name:  traffic9am.png
Views: 180
Size:  79.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by lived666 View Post
    Just highlighting how ineffective the so called billions upgrade were to the system and how traffic has worsened not improved, an hour later and we have 4 accidents on the e-toll highways and it is not even raining at the moment:
    Name:  traffic9am.png
Views: 180
Size:  79.1 KB
    There was rain this morning.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Genisys View Post
    There was rain this morning.
    ok, not in midrand

point being if you currently on the n1 heading towards midrand from roodepoort you are going to sit for a while to get through the various accidents

As much as I hate eTolls, I don't think they are to blame here.

Having one person in a car driving to work just cannot scale up. This is what every large first world city has discovered. In New York, London, Boston, Tokyo etc etc, there would just not be enough space to have enough road for every single worker to drive to work in their own car. It just does not work. The only solution is public transport.

That of course is the failing of the government - while the Gautrain has been a phenomenal success, it and Gaubus needs to expand so that more areas are covered and more people can use it. The other public transport alternatives are either too unsafe or always on strike.

Would also help if more employers adopted a more flexible work from home policy - that would get a lot of cars off the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post

Having one person in a car driving to work just cannot scale up. This is what every large first world city has discovered. In New York, London, Boston, Tokyo etc etc, there would just not be enough space to have enough road for every single worker to drive to work in their own car. It just does not work. The only solution is public transport.

That of course is the failing of the government - while the Gautrain has been a phenomenal success, it and Gaubus needs to expand so that more areas are covered and more people can use it. The other public transport alternatives are either too unsafe or always on strike.

Would also help if more employers adopted a more flexible work from home policy - that would get a lot of cars off the road.
    Staggered working hours would also help.
    Taking vehicles over 10Tons off the roads at peak hours will also help congestion. But at the expense of huge increases of most FMCG.
    [O|||||||O]

Super Grandmaster

I agree we have complete and rubbish public transport, but calling the Gautrain a success when it is a dismal failure receiving R1.5 billion a year in subsidies because it is unsustainable even with its current exorbitant travel prices - it is not a cheap mode of transport, not only is it expensive but it is draining a huge portion of Gautengs transport budget....but along with e-tolls, that is another sore topic of transport failure.

Its common knowledge that a lot of the cost went into rolling out this very expensive system and not upgrading the roads. I commuted the n3/n12 daily for as long as i can remember. I remember before they even started work for the 2010. They did nothing to aid the roads really. Sorted a few of the offramps here and there. Streamlined a couple of the intersections. All just helping with the EXISTING amount of cars. Real planning would have been to make modifications that catered for the projected traffic in the next 5 - 10 years. But that would be way too much foresight to ask from the who's who in the zoo.

Also adding a lane doesn't improve traffic, as now you've added another lane for more people to use, but you've not added anyway for the more people to get off and on the highway. So you've effectively just added more congestion.
    Do you hear the voices, too?

Was thinking exactly this.

Abysmal public transport is the only reason for the traffic.

If there was decent public transport that serviced the route from where I live to where I work I'd use it in a heartbeat.

But in the absence of that I will add to the traffic on the roads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast