Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanral hikes toll road and e-toll prices in South Africa

Default Sanral hikes toll road and e-toll prices in South Africa

Sanral hikes toll road and e-toll prices in South Africa

Sanral has increased toll rates on South African roads, according to a statement by the AA.

THE MOTHER OF ALL CITIES - FAFK (airfield)

like that matters - no ones going to pay it anyway!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke "

Wait a second, I thought the monthly cap for a car was somewhere around R500, here I see it's nearly a grand? On tolls ?
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Quote Originally Posted by spiff View Post
    Well, not the e-tolls. No choice at the plazas though. What it is going to do there though, is cause added pressure on the alternate routes. From a Cape Town perspective, the du Toitskloof pass is the only viable alternative along the N1.
    Long live machine. The future supreme. Man overthrown.... SPIT OUT THE BONE!

For me a 10% increase would mean 0x10% =0
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

These guys are logistically challenged. After years of having nice and relatively "round" toll figures at Huguenot, they're back with the silly 50c price of R35.50.

I've never understood this. Now I need to find 50c from somewhere, or much more likely, the booth operator needs a pile of 50c pieces as high as the ceiling to return as change to every single car that drives through and pays with R40 in notes. In fact, they need 3 coins (2xR2 + 1x50c) for every single car requiring change - and that will be most of them.

Why not just make it a round R35 and call it quits? Heck, they can even up the Class 2 from R99 to R100 and Class 3 from R154 to R155 to make up for the loss of 50c from each and every car. Then they won't even need R1 coins either - just R5 coins and notes. The trucks won't notice the extra Rand, and traffic flow might even improve because less calculations are involved. They might even need less toll booth operators, saving them more money (that they can use to build the 2nd tunnel).

But no, this is Sanral - it must be as inconvenient as possible. So R35.50 it will be.

PS: Excluding the people who pay with a Credit / Petro card

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Wait a second, I thought the monthly cap for a car was somewhere around R500, here I see it's nearly a grand? On tolls ?
    I do not know if the e-toll per month vehicle cap was increased now or not, but I think it was R450 when the system was introduced and then lowered to R225 per month when the review was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by spiff View Post
    Believe it or not, some people are paying.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    Yip, mainly immigrants, afraid of being deported, and rich people, afraid of becoming a high-flying tree such that SARS might come a-knocking.

Yay! More tax, love paying tax knowing it is going to uplift millions.

=====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

THE MOTHER OF ALL CITIES - FAFK (airfield)

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    right the pc people - it's the raait thing to do

sanral on the job............

Name:  rat.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  28.8 KB

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke "

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Smith View Post
    From a Cape Town perspective, the du Toitskloof pass is the only viable alternative along the N1.
    Du Toitskloof is the quickest alternative to the Hugenot Tunnel -- and if your trip is time-critical or you just want to get the journey over and done with, it is indeed the only alternative route.

If, however, you're a roadtripper who considers the journey part of the holiday, or you're just like me and don't mind taking routes less travelled, there's also these options:

• R46 through Nuwekloof Pass and through to the foot of Mitchell's Pass, from where you can
      • Turn on to the R43 and go through to Worcester, or
      • Continue on the R46 up Mitchell's Pass, through Ceres, and up Theronsberg Pass. At the point where the route going straight becomes the R355 and goes into the Tankwa Karoo (the Afrika Burn junkies will know this point), the R46 turns right and heads to Touwsrivier to meet up with the N1. Interesting bit of history: the R46/R355 (and then the R356 through to Sutherland) was the original wagon route into the interior before the Cape Town to Kimberley railway was built -- though, you should plan properly if you want to drive on the R355/R356 gravel roads; they have a notorious reputation for destroying tyres. For the avoidance of doubt, the R46 is surfaced all the way through to its terminus at the N1.

• A variation on the above: Bains Kloof Pass instead of Nuwekloof Pass.
    • There's also the option of going through Franschhoek, up and over the Franschhoek Pass, and then the R43 through Villiersdorp to Worcester.

Apart from the Villiersdorp to Worcester road (which I last drove in 2004), I have driven the other routes within the past 18 months; all are in good to excellent condition. I often find myself using the R46 option in peak holiday season as it avoids a good chunk of holiday traffic.
    There is no such thing as American English. There is English, and then there are mistakes.

Super Grandmaster

hasn't the Huguenot tunnel been paid for many times over already? thought that's why the tolls were introduced.

Grandmaster

Anyone notice that the bottom of the graph is cut off to make the increases seem larger than they actually are?

Quote Originally Posted by andres101 View Post
    Anyone notice that the bottom of the graph is cut off to make the increases seem larger than they actually are?
    Fake news... or at least news pushing an agenda.

I see the montly cap is R250. So that graph is incorrect on that front too.

Should be something like:

2015 - R450

2016 - R225 ( I think)

2017 - R250

@Kevin, do your own thinking and research and don't just rely on the spoonfeeding from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast