Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Vodacom sim swap fraud - my personal experience

Default Vodacom continues to defraud me, unfazed.

quick overview for anyone new to this thread:

Vodacom allowed access to my account, apparently through a combination of internal and external fraudsters, to the tune of a couple of hundred grand. I caught it, and notified them and it took weeks to get them to even investigate, and months to correct it and take it seriously. since then, i've been trying to get them to block mobile content services from being applied to my account because their fraud rings keep adding them. you can see the kind of things that get added in the attached screenshot and the earlier one.

the result has been *crickets*

so.

while Vodacom was lying to me about investigating the illegal content services their staff have been applying to my account (see the previous post), they added more.

so i mailed them again:

"Hi A and M

A:

As before, your job seems to consist of sending me emails every few weeks saying you're going to reply to my queries any moment now. It's very exciting but you never actually do rep-ly, and so it's a bit wasted. If you were working for me, I'd have fired you a long time ago. Please see below your mail on Monday June 26th promising a reply "before the end of the week". That mail was a follow up to your mail of 09th June, promising a follow up any moment.

As you may be aware it's the 09th of July. Consequently, stop dealing with my account because you achieve nothing. Go back to whatever it is you get overpaid to do.

M:

Please address the screenshot I attached to this mail yourself. I don't want any more of my queries handed over to A because she does nothing about them. I don't want any more correspondence from anyone other you and executives.

This - Vodacom's inability to secure my account and protect it from their own staff - has been going on literally for months. Since my last correspondence with you on this subject more than a month ago, when after the two months it took Vodacom to stop defrauding me, and reset my accounts, nothing has been done. However, your internal fraudsters have been extremely active, as you can tell from the attached image. They've added 4 new mobile content services, all of them unauthorized, all in the last few days.

Now. Here's the thing. I have been extremely patient with Vodacom's casual and inept securing of my account. I have been extremely patient with their internal fraud that they keep blaming on me and I have been quite patient in explaining their jobs to your "crack security team". I have been extremely patient with A's relentless laziness, and the claims that I somehow authorized this rubbish, and Vodacom's complete lack of interest in this.

Address these issues right now. Confirm that I have no content services active. Refund me all monies you've charged for content services in the history of my relationship with you. Secure my account and confirm to me in writing that it is secured. Provide me with an explanation of what has been occurring on my account and an apology, in writing.

Or I'm going to sue you, and I'm going to make every part of every item of correspondence publicly available."

d
    Attached Images   
    Last edited by daelm; 09-07-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDude4Eva View Post
    If you have not yet, I would open a case of fraud against them and also seek compensation in a civil case as they did admit that this was internal fraud not following processes and due to negligence. You can use the ECTA (especially chapter 13). They should be able to provide you with the case number of those arrested. I would also raise this with the NCC as there is no assurance that those gaps have been closed.
    thanks for this. i'll probably be following this route.

d

and then there is this:

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellu...wap-fraud.html

i don't want money from them.

however, i do want them to answer the questions i have been posting for months, fix their processes and confirm to their customers that they have addressed the many, many , many holes in the their business practices that place us at risk, and stop being so arrogant about their inctedibly ****ty service.

i want them to start taking their customers seriously.

"Vodacom has offered the editor of Tuis magazine R26,000 in compensation after criminals conducted an unauthorised SIM swap in a failed attempt to steal R100,000 from his ABSA account in April. The Rapport newspaper stated that the R100,000 transaction was reversed by ABSA after it was flagged by the bank’s security systems. This was partly due to previous fraud on the account. Editor Wicus Pretorius said the problem of SIM-swap fraud should be exposed in full, and he expects large companies like Vodacom to solve a weakness which criminals exploit. Vodacom said the R26,000 offered to Pretorius was a goodwill gesture, following the attempted fraud.

“Vodacom considered all aspects of Pretorius’s case, including the outcomes of the investigation as well as his credit history, before making the goodwill offer,” it said.“Each case is different and recommendations will be made based on the case’s merit.”

Vodacom said it shows zero tolerance towards any type of illegal activity occurring on its network, and has a dedicated Forensic Services team which investigates all cases of fraud."

amongst other things i want them to explain how their comments in this press release line up with their behavior in my case...

- i first lodged my case with them in mid-February.

- it took more than a month and me escalating it to their executives to get them to pay any attention at all.

-in that month, they shut down my lines, refused to take my calls, dragged their heels and ignored me for another month before doing anything about it, during which time they cut my phone off without warning (effectively suspending my business), refused to answer calls or emails, and sent me on a wild-goose chase to their stores, who couldn't do anything about it because - you guessed it - they'd already cut me off.

They did not, however, stop their criminal staff from having their way with my account.

- after they finally took it serously (something that required further escalation and the threat of publicity) and supposedly corrected it, i noticed the ten thousand "mobile content services" each costing hundreds and thousands or rands per day that they had activated on my line. so, i raised it with them.

- it's now been over a month of supposed "investigation" and not only have i not been answered, there are now even more "mobile content services" active on my line, apparently because Vodacom has no control over who accesses my account at all.

this is the super secret "security" that they boasted of when i finally got them to address the first fraud. it doesn't work at all.

d
    Last edited by daelm; 16-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Just got called by 076 799 4325 claiming to be vodacom, checking to see if I know of the pending sim swap on my number. I suspect this is a scam to get info from me? What do I do? Who do I call?
    ic's back, back again . . .

This.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/busin...om-report.html

"According to Rapport, the Vodacom investigation showed that the SIM swap was performed from its call centre."

No ****, hey.

If you go back in the email trail, you'll see I called them on this **** from the start. They thoroughly ignored me until I escalated. If I can pick it up, outside their organization, why can't they flag it internally? I could literally write the automated forensics routines that they are clearly not running in an afternoon. (It's 10 if-statements. I've even offered to do it for them.)

This is part of what is so ****ing annoying about this: they're not even doing the absolute minimum. They'd have to up their game to do the minimum. But they charge like they were a combination of Rolls Royce and Heidi Fleiss

*crickets*
    Last edited by daelm; 16-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ld13 View Post
    Just got called by 076 799 4325 claiming to be vodacom, checking to see if I know of the pending sim swap on my number. I suspect this is a scam to get info from me? What do I do? Who do I call?
    No idea. If you didn't ask for a sim swap, congratulations. You're the new victim of Vodacom. PM me for contact details.

d

*crickets* to the vast majority of my questions.

it's August. This started in February.

Yes, because you are asking them on a forum not associated with vodacom whatsoever.

If what you say is true, and there is R250k missing, or whatever, lawyer up. Don't waste your time posting your feelings on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber_otter View Post
    Yes, because you are asking them on a forum not associated with vodacom whatsoever.

If what you say is true, and there is R250k missing, or whatever, lawyer up. Don't waste your time posting your feelings on an internet forum.
    Read the whole thread, he asked them by communicating with them directly.

When you are done reading the thread, you may comment again*...

*you may obviously comment whenever you want, but it might lead to foolish sounding posts if you don't have the background knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Read the whole thread, he asked them by communicating with them directly.

When you are done reading the thread, you may comment again*...

*you may obviously comment whenever you want, but it might lead to foolish sounding posts if you don't have the background knowledge
    Yeah, i only read the OP Lemme go through the thread and prove my innocence to a bunch of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber_otter View Post
    Yeah, i only read the OP Lemme go through the thread and prove my innocence to a bunch of strangers.
    The OP includes records of conversations with Vodacom, which should stand out to someone who read it. the thread is maintained here to provide visibility and feedback to interested parties.

While you're proving your innocence to a bunch of strangers, spend some time thinking about the value of randomly criticising a bunch of strangers. (Hint: it's not high.)

d
    Last edited by daelm; 07-08-2017 at 09:24 AM.

free bump for Vodacom, since they've never properly addressed any of my questions. next week, if I have time, I'll be collecting all my questions and publishing their responses where such exist.

d

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456