Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long haul low cost flights to Europe coming to Cape Town with Eurowings (Nov 2017)

Another nail is SAA coffin..

Default Eurowings to put Cape Town on their map

Pan African development website Elicit Africa reports that in what is considered a major boost for tourism to South Africa’s Mother City, one of the fastest growing LCCs, Eurowings, announced it will be flying between Cologne and Cape Town from 5 November.

The announcement comes shortly after Eurowings, part of the Germany’s Lufthansa Group, also launched flights between Cologne and Windhoek in July this year (2017).

The once weekly flight – serviced with a A330-200 – will depart from Cologne on Sundays evenings and return from Cape Town on Monday evenings.
    Initial pricing indicates fares to start from €480 return.

Cologne is near the borders of The Netherlands and Belgium, which means the new route to Cape Town will not only open up accessibility from the German market, but also from neighbouring countries. There are no longer direct flights from Belgium, and Brussels is only 216 km from Cologne.
    https://www.sapromo.com/eurowings-pu...town-map/13193
    APoc184 - "Well apparently I'm Ockie's kinda girl."

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Initial pricing indicates fares to start from €480 return
    Not bad, but not exactly mind blowing, for 100 EUR more you can get a return flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam direct with KLM provided you book far enough in advance ...
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Initial pricing indicates fares to start from €480 return
    Fk me that's cheap!
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Super Grandmaster

I recently paid R7.9k per return ticket on Air France from Oslo - Paris - JHB including reserved upper deck seating on the a380. (Granted the exchange rate makes that figure R8.2k now)

Cologne is a beautiful city.

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    I recently paid R7.9k per return ticket on Air France from Oslo - Paris - JHB including reserved upper deck seating on the a380. (Granted the exchange rate makes that figure R8.2k now)
    Off topic, but did they also insist on speaking French to you every time the drinks / food cart comes by? Even if you only respond in English?

Between that bs and the nightmare that is Charles de Gaulle airport I swore to myself never to fly with Air France again ...
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Fk me that's cheap!
    It 's just about the same price as you can get from Flight Centre. I do not understand why anyone is excited about this?

http://www.flightcentre.co.za/flights/amsterdam

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Candystore View Post
    It 's just about the same price as you can get from Flight Centre. I do not understand why anyone is excited about this?

Only the German snowbirds are excited by this as its close to where they live
    Most of the time without having to go via Munich and Frankfurt as is the usual case.
    Plus November is the month that sees the foreign homeowners return for the South African Summer
    SEALAND Honary Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary

Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead View Post
    Only the German snowbirds are excited by this as its close to where they live
    Most of the time without having to go via Munich and Frankfurt as is the usual case.
    Plus November is the month that sees the foreign homeowners return for the South African Summer
    I would give anything to own a house in CT - it is painful to see the Europeans snapping up property with their strong currency.
    Quote Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
    Blu, you're a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Candystore View Post

What airlines do you normally fly? That should give you an indication of it being cheap or not. Not that I'll fly with these guys. But see what a one way ticket cost you from Heathrow to JHB int on Emirates...
    I have signed up with Bitco and it's by far the best internet I have ever had. Get a quote

Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
    I would give anything to own a house in CT - it is painful to see the Europeans snapping up property with their strong currency.
    A lot of people would love to own a home in CPT bud, me included. But the prices are just ridiculous. A lot of Foreign buyers, out of province buyers and greedy property investment groups just driving the pricing up and up every day.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    A lot of people would love to own a home in CPT bud, me included. But the prices are just ridiculous. A lot of Foreign buyers, out of province buyers and greedy property investment groups just driving the pricing up and up every day.
    See foreign buyers get 50 percent bond in SA and they come with the other 50 percent granted by their Euro bank ( or did until a few years ago) so essentially the Cape is theirs/ was theirs to cherry pick at no out of pocket costs
    Most of these homes sit empty in our prime suburbs more than half the year and when the foreign owners return
    Home they appoint a neighbour to manage their home while they list it on Airbnb . In Somerset West i ve seen a good few homes in prime areas empty since March and yet they are available on Airbnb but some have a to let sign . One near me does and on calling the local managing agent the owner turned out to be an absentee Frenchman who wanted hundreds of Euro for weekly rentals before he comes in November . He must be asking too much as the house has not been used since he departed last March
    I ve always maintained we need strict legislation to stop foreigners buying here and to allow the local market determine the prices without the undue influence of the estate agent cartel
    Last edited by Hosehead; 08-09-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    SEALAND Honary Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary

See foreign buyers get 50 percent bond in SA and they come with the other 50 percent granted by their Euro bank ( or did until a few years ago) so essentially the Cape is theirs/ was theirs to cherry pick at no out of pocket costs
    Most of these homes sit empty in our prime suburbs more than half the year and when the foreign owners return
    Home they appoint a neighbour to manage their home while they list it on Airbnb . In Somerset West i ve seen a good few homes in prime areas empty since March and yet they are available on Airbnb but some have a to let sign . One near me does and on calling the local managing agent the owner turned out to be an absentee Frenchman who wanted hundreds of Euro for weekly rentals before he comes in November . He must be asking too much as the house has not been used since he departed last March
    I was actually looking at buying a place in Windhoek. Do you guys have the slightest idea what houses go for in Namibia... geesus...

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Do you have to pay extra for upper deck on the A380? I was upstairs on a Qatar A380 a couple of months ago and the reduced height of the overhead luggage space caused a lot of problems. I was going to ask not to put upstairs next time.

I ve always maintained we need strict legislation to stop foreigners buying here and to allow the local market determine the prices without the undue influence of the estate agent cartel
    Foreigners can get 75% bond.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast