Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Town mulls renaming De Waal Dr after Philip Kgosana

Super Grandmaster

Default Cape Town mulls renaming De Waal Dr after Philip Kgosana

Cape Town - The City of Cape Town is considering changing the name of its famous De Waal Drive in honour of Pan Africanist Congress of Azania (PAC) stalwart Philip Kgosana, who died at the age of 80 on Thursday.

Extending the city's condolences to his friends and family, Mayor Patricia de Lille, herself a former PAC MP, announced this in a tribute to the activist.

This was to remember his role in the struggle against apartheid, and the 30 000-strong march he led from Langa and Nyanga to Cape Town on 30 March 1960, following the Sharpeville massacre on March 21 of the same year.

''I was honoured to have known and stood alongside Kgosana during the darkest days of apartheid and drew from his determination as we fought together to realise freedom, justice, and equality for the people of our country,'' De Lille said in a statement.

''Fellow South Africans and I will forever remember him as a brave, principled man who stood tall in his resolve against oppression.''

Sharpeville massacre

The PAC, a party that broke away from the African National Congress in 1959, had organised countrywide anti-pass protests for March 21, in 1960.

The ''pass'' was a document that severely limited and controlled where black people were allowed to travel, live or work, on pain of arrest. To not be able to produce the pass on demand, also guaranteed arrest.

Black people were urged to leave their passes at home and to gather at police stations to put themselves up for arrest, in defiance of the pass laws.

However, police opened fire on protesters at Sharpeville in Gauteng, and 69 people were killed and at least 180 others were injured.

Kgosana and the around 30 000 protesters walked about 12km from Langa, via De Waal Drive, named after David Christiaan De Waal, a mayor in the late 1800s who was associated with Cecil John Rhodes.

They marched into the city, to show how horrified they were by the tragic turn of events but after the march Kgosana was arrested.

Within a week the government of the day had declared a state of emergency and banned the ANC and PAC, driving the movements underground and into militarisation.

City Press reported in 2016 that at the age of 79, Kgosana retraced the steps they took to make sure nobody forgot about the tragedy.

''On behalf of the City of Cape Town, I extend my deepest sympathy to Philip Kgosana's family, friends, and fellow Pan-Africanist Congress members,'' said De Lille.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...osana-20170420
    My views are not cast in stone

Choose a road in Langa or Inyanga after him.

De Lille you really peeing off the white and coloured voters by becoming more ANC-like each passing day.
    You are so out of touch with the people who voted you and your party into power in the metro.

The communist ANC and ultra-liberal DA are both rubbish parties these days.
    We need a new party to occupy the centre space vacuum.
    Last edited by SweetFennyAdams; 21-04-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.

Name a new frikken road or building after him. Stop changing all the damn existing ones!

Plenty of new stuff going up all the time. I can never understand the incessant need to rename everything.

Super Grandmaster

wot about calling it
    fransman boulevard or ehrenreich avenue

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SweetFennyAdams View Post
    and ultra-liberal DA
    The DA liberal? If only.

De Lille you really peeing off the white and coloured voters by becoming more ANC-like each passing day.
    You are so out of touch with the people who voted you and your party into power in the metro.

Why these 2 areas specifically? Langa and Nyanga are mainly ANC "strongholds".

Super Grandmaster

Why Langa and Nyanga, Cape Town too precious to have a road named after him?
    And why would whites and coloured have a problem if a road in Cape Town is named after this struggle stalwart, unless you think they are all racist like you?
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Default Cape Town mulls renaming De Waal Dr after Philip Kgosana

This serves absolutely no purpose but to **** with people's GPS's.

Everyone will still call it De Waal drive until the next generation who don't know any different.

Stop wasting money on this bull****.

It happened in 1960.

I wasn't even born then so why would I care for naming a street after this guy?

As was said above, find a new road and put his name to that. Stop renaming ****.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 22-04-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Super Grandmaster

Renaming well known streets and structures has generally zero effect in getting people to actually use the new names.
    Remember Huguenot tunnel was renamed Dullah Omar Tunnel? Or was it just tabled by Sanral in honor of the late and great former Minister of Justice
    I believe most people are unaware.
    Same with dozens of streets around the metropole. Old names stick because convenience .
    However when towns and cities are renamed their adoption by a swathe of population depends in part on pronounceability. Nelspruit became mombombela and that never caught on. Pretoria is still Pretoria despite renaming to Tswane .
    Last edited by Hosehead; 22-04-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    SEALAND Honary Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary

Cape Town mulls renaming De Waal Dr after Philip Kgosana because this is really important. ****ing disgrace to even think about doing stuff like this when the country is imploding. The DA has completely lost their way. Serious introspection is required.
    Theres so many different worlds
    So many differents suns
    And we have just one world
    But we live in different ones

so many new roads being built everywhere. why on earth rename current ones.

so many times ive seen people use the new names only to be met with confusion, then they use the old name to clarify, its dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by access View Post

so many times ive seen people use the new names only to be met with confusion, then they use the old name to clarify, its dumb.
    ^^ This. So much money wasted and confusion. Maybe it's time to rename Africa .. wait let's rename earth while we at it. That will confuse all the aliens.
    I never apologise. I’m sorry, that’s just the way I am.

De Waal Drive is controversial to the current city administration. This is political to sympathy with the eviction debacle.
    Trolling is an Art. A Jest of Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by access View Post

Exactly, you should see the chaos that this did in Durban.

Was it not the DA that was always opposed to the renaming of places and streets by the ANC?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast