Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now the real fight against e-tolls starts - Outa

Default Now the real fight against e-tolls starts - Outa

Johannesburg – The Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse has taken its challenge against the e-toll system to the next level, serving the South African National Roads Agency Limited with responses to the summonses issued against Outa members for outstanding e-toll payments.

One in particular, a summons against Thandanani Truckers and Hauliers for R402 841.62 in unpaid e-toll fees incurred between January 2014 and August 2015, is being heard in the Pretoria High Court and will effectively become a test case for the e-toll concept, since it will be the first time that a judge will hear both sides of the argument and then make a ruling based on the merits of the case.
    http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indust...--outa-9059186
    TimeDesign, the recommended school timetabling/scheduling program for the Free State Department of Education.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm rooting for OUTA.

We really don't need more taxes.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Go OUTA!

/transfers some money to them

Toll is a tax. Charging VAT on a tax is double taxation?

... orders one moerkse big packet of popcorn ...

I'm an OUTA member, are you? I'm shouting for my team.

Go OUTA, go!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Lancaster View Post
    ”In Sanral’s opinion, legal certainty was previously provided by various courts , i.e. the Constitutional Court, High Court and Supreme Court of Appeal and the plea filed does not appear to introduce any new material matters which were not previously before the courts.

”Despite these judgments, OUTA continues to state that tolling is illegal and users don’t need to pay, which in our opinion is incorrect and does not reflect the findings in the previous court decisions.”
    I'm actually going to link a businesstech article:
    https://businesstech.co.za/news/gene...res-the-proof/
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

Scumral is delusional as usual. The courts didn't "rule" in the previous cases and there's no legal certainty as they simply passed the buck till OUTA left the case. With an actual party involved they would HAVE to make a ruling taking all the evidence into account.

The etolls being constitutional or not is irrelevant. Everyone is banking on this 'test case' being a fair trial. We all know how deep the corruption runs in the country and the courts are no exception.

WOT? So far the courts from the high court up to constitutional court has proven pretty independent to uphold the constitution.

The courts will rule in favor of SANRAL.

I think people are very misguided about what the court case is about.. it's about the companies obeying the law which they did not.

Arguing SANRAL + eToll not legal/valid has no bearing on not paying etolls. People forget that a court can only make a decision based on legal standing.. of which, until otherwise decided.. eToll is legal in SA.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by krycor View Post

I think people are very misguided about what the court case is about.. it's about the companies obeying the law which they did not.

Arguing SANRAL + eToll not legal/valid has no bearing on not paying etolls. People forget that a court can only make a decision based on legal standing.. of which, until otherwise decided.. eToll is legal in SA.
    I don't think that OUTA are just "people", though and probably wouldn't have been this involved if they weren't sure of their case.

Actually it has. Part of the case is about the legality/illegality of the tolls.

Not a lawyer, but...

Courts don't generally enforce laws where there are doubts as to whether they are constitutional. I believe in practice it'll mean the loser (public here) is given leave to appeal at a higher level - meaning concourt. If concourt finds the law to be unconstitutional then the earlier ruling doesn't hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

+ Reply to Thread