Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 341

Thread: BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

  1. #1
    Super Grandmaster Foxhound5366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East of Big Smoke
    Posts
    6,145
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

    So it seems the BMW 320D is the popular choice, given that it has more torque and feels more responsive in lower gears (so long as you can handle the diesel clatter). Do you guys agree? Have any of you driven both?

    I'm considering getting a pre-owned 3-Series just to finally move into the anonymous Big Boy Club (they're the automotive equivalent of a toaster these days -> but a very nice toaster), maybe even on one of those short-term purchase options where you never own the car but have a guaranteed buy-back at the end of three years (which sounds appealing to me). If anybody has any advice on that element as well, please share!
    Change is the only constant.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    So it seems the BMW 320D is the popular choice, given that it has more torque and feels more responsive in lower gears (so long as you can handle the diesel clatter). Do you guys agree? Have any of you driven both?

    I'm considering getting a pre-owned 3-Series just to finally move into the anonymous Big Boy Club (they're the automotive equivalent of a toaster these days -> but a very nice toaster), maybe even on one of those short-term purchase options where you never own the car but have a guaranteed buy-back at the end of three years (which sounds appealing to me). If anybody has any advice on that element as well, please share!
    I have the 320D (2010 Model)

    It is an absolutely amazing car. More than enough power, great fuel economy.

    I would not buy a petrol BMW unless I am going for the really big ones (645/M3/etc)

    Go drive both. It will make up your mind very quickly.

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster UrBaN963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    6,654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    YGPM.
    For it is not for nought we age, decay. Another must come along; build the new day; discover a new way, a new dragon to slay.

  4. #4
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back in CPT!
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would go for the diesel.
    Link to me on Samsung Rewards and earn a starting bonus. http://s-rewards.co.za/linkme.html?id=1B0034026

  5. #5
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    9,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Diesels aren't those of yesteryear. They're a lot less noisy these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Aye, but 'tis rare. That's my thing, rare no matter if it's POS

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Having had my previous Diesel car's DPF pack up, I vowed not get a diesel again.

    Bought a 2017 320i and I'm very happy with the purchase. The 2 litre turbo has more than enough grunt and it's got the 3 settings to save you fuel if you drive carefully.

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    26,539
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Price and other features disregarded I would have the 320D over the 320i.

    But I guess that somewhat depends on exactly how old pre-owned is since the new 320i is quite different from the older ones since they are turbocharged now.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 12-06-2017 at 04:28 PM.

  8. #8
    Super Grandmaster LCBXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wilgeheuwel
    Posts
    8,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heart: 320d
    Head: 320i (Turbo)

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster FiestaST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CPT~ /\\/ŻŻŻ\\/\\ ~ZA
    Posts
    39,638
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    320d.

    What shape 3er are you looking at bro? As the F30 320i turbopetol is a hell of a lot better than the E90 N/A 320i mill.

  10. #10
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    26,539
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCBXX View Post
    Heart: 320d
    Head: 320i (Turbo)
    The D also has a Turbo.

    Why is the 320i the logical choice according to your head?

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster f2wohf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    320D, I've found the petrol seriously lacking of power when I had it as a rental.

  12. #12
    Super Grandmaster LCBXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wilgeheuwel
    Posts
    8,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    The D also has a Turbo.

    Why is the 320i the logical choice according to your head?
    Yes I am aware it is.

    I know of very few people who drive a turbodiesel properly and care for it likewise. I would not want to buy it second-hand, especially a BMW/Audi/Merc for the looming expense with failed turbo's, injectors and dual-mass flywheels. But if you find one that has been taken care of properly...oh boy what a gem with bags of torque and frugal economy.

  13. #13
    EVGA Fanatic Rickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joe'berg
    Posts
    15,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTBoy View Post
    Having had my previous Diesel car's DPF pack up, I vowed not get a diesel again.

    Bought a 2017 320i and I'm very happy with the purchase. The 2 litre turbo has more than enough grunt and it's got the 3 settings to save you fuel if you drive carefully.
    You know you can just cut that thing off, its basically a CAT.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    You know you can just cut that thing off, its basically a CAT.
    Yeah sure...

    Do a bit of research on the newer cars and DPF. Cutting it out takes a remap and sensor bypasses. Try selling that car again down the line to a dealer.

  15. #15
    EVGA Fanatic Rickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joe'berg
    Posts
    15,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTBoy View Post
    Yeah sure...

    Do a bit of research on the newer cars and DPF. Cutting it out takes a remap and sensor bypasses. Try selling that car again down the line to a dealer.
    True, cheaper to remap than buy a new one.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BMW 320d
    By Photosbot1 in forum Photography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-08-2015, 07:45 AM
  2. BWM 320i and 320i Start differences?
    By gregmcc in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 26-03-2012, 03:18 PM
  3. E46 BMW 320d
    By ne3tz in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
  4. BMW E90 320d ECU
    By Whyohwhy in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-07-2009, 09:57 PM
  5. Bmw 320d
    By Amplifier in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •