Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by FiestaST View Post
    320d.

What shape 3er are you looking at bro? As the F30 320i turbopetol is a hell of a lot better than the E90 N/A 320i mill.
    F30 is the latest one, isn't it? I was hoping for the latest one, but with the prices they go for new even at pre-owned it's gonna be a tough find to get anything semi-reasonable (especially through BMW themselves). My first confirmation of this just came from BMW now, where they offered me either a 2012 328i or a 2016 120d (and they didn't have a 320D - I guess those are in high demand). Ironically the 328i has a value that's R100K less than the 120D, just due to the age thing, but neither of them is cheap. That, and I don't want a 1-Series! Meh, I'm probably gonna be pushed to the independent dealers after all by this.

Quote Originally Posted by LCBXX View Post
    Yes I am aware it is.

I know of very few people who drive a turbodiesel properly and care for it likewise. I would not want to buy it second-hand, especially a BMW/Audi/Merc for the looming expense with failed turbo's, injectors and dual-mass flywheels. But if you find one that has been taken care of properly...oh boy what a gem with bags of torque and frugal economy.
    Well, I'm hoping if I can get a BMW that is only two or three years old, I can get the full BMW maintenance plan with it. That covers against everything (including what you mentioned), right?
    Change is the only constant.

Default BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

Yup F30 is latest shape. Hit SA late 2012 & the LCI (facelift) hit SA late 2015.

Any 1-Series is horrible for a family man in my book. Rear legroom in particular is shocking.

I own the F30 320d
    BMW gave me a loaner F31 320i for 3 days when mine was in for repairs

320d is my choice because:

The automatic box works so much better with the torque of the diesel - in the petrol it couldn't make up its mind and any request for more speed sent the box down a few cogs and the revs shoot up with the sound of a thousand buzzing bees. The diesel holds onto gears and the torque gets you moving surprisingly quickly with minimal fuss.

The petrol feels much slower (it is actually quicker on paper) because you have to rev the sh*t out of it to get it moving. The diesel pretty much jumps whenever you need it to.

I prefer the diesel sound, it is noticeably louder and definitely less refined, but also gives a sense of there being some power behind it. The petrol sounded awful, even with foot flat in sport+ mode.

Fuel consumption of the diesel for my enthusiastic town driving is approx 7L/100km, with the petrol I nearly doubled that figure sitting at about 13L/100 after 3 days of my usual driving routes.

Pop into your BMW dealer and drive both back to back, that is the best way to get a feel for each.

The BMW 320D is in my mind similar to the 3.0 V6 Ford engine - Legends in their own time and league.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

330d if u can afford. Remap it with some rk motion software. Tona of power. Even the 320d, remap and its better on fuel and more powerfull. Let me know If u need remap info

How about an alternative diesel, like a fusion or a passat? I'm sure you can get a newer model then with bmw and if you get the vw maintenance plan is included.

edit: if you do decide on the bmw try to get whichever you can get the longest maintenance plan on. And check what the tyres cost and you can afford it. Those run flat tyres can get expensive.
    Last edited by Cr419; 12-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.

I chose 320i over 320D.
    Dont let others fool you, they are the same power (the 2012 models as you said pre-owned)
    But Petrol has twin scroll means there turbo kicks in at lower revs and should run at lower temperatures hence hopefully more relaibale.
    http://www.autotrader.co.za/research...20Series/10099

Edit: dont have issues with the gearbox, its smooth as hell. Also Petrol is much cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by superskully View Post
    I chose 320i over 320D.
    Dont let others fool you, they are the same power
    Power is the result of a mathematical formula, torque is what you feel

Before F30, I'd avoid the 320i. Now that it's turbocharged, I'd definitely give it a much closer look - I personally prefer petrol powered cars.

I had the E90 320d and E92 320i and the difference was huge.

Lol, seems like the age-old debate still hasn't settled itself yet.

The real issue with dealerships is how they screw you on the trade-in AND the sale. Why can't they just be satisfied with margin on one side and break-even on the other? I mean, profit is profit.

With BMW echoing the crappy trade-in value on my car, I reckon I'll have to either find a more flexible dealer or find some way to do a private sale and bridge the period without a car somehow.

So here's one more permutation to the original question: any feedback on the 328i (F30)?

In reviews it seems to have come across very well, and it's no doubt fast, but you see very few of them on the SA roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    So here's one more permutation to the original question: any feedback on the 328i (F30)?

In reviews it seems to have come across very well, and it's no doubt fast, but you see very few of them on the SA roads.
    Obviously more powerful and sportier than the 20s but with the higher fuel consumption to match. More driving pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Obviously more powerful and sportier than the 20s but with the higher fuel consumption to match. More driving pleasure.
    Are you saying that as an owner of a 328i? If so, what fuel consumption are you getting?

Reading online some people have been claiming the 328i can still do 7l/100km, which is very good, even if the 320D can do 5l/100km.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LCBXX View Post
    Yes I am aware it is.

I know of very few people who drive a turbodiesel properly and care for it likewise. I would not want to buy it second-hand, especially a BMW/Audi/Merc for the looming expense with failed turbo's, injectors and dual-mass flywheels. But if you find one that has been taken care of properly...oh boy what a gem with bags of torque and frugal economy.
    Lol, if it has a turbo then it probably has dual mass flywheel.

That said, after 100,000km the diesel particulate filter really starts to cause some drag, possibly less so with 10ppm diesel now being available.
    The fuel injectors should be fine on modern diesels with 10ppm now available.

I'd say the 320d is probably more fun to drive (more torque is usually more fun) but the 320i is a safer long term bet on maintenance.

Just don't get the E90 or older petrols without turbo because they are boring as hell.
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Yeah, that maintenance issue is pretty much why I'm leaning more towards the 328i rather ... more fun than the 320i, less risk than a used 320D.

The only trick is to find one that the previous owner has specced decently. It's insane just how bare bones most of these cars are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast