Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    Are you saying that as an owner of a 328i? If so, what fuel consumption are you getting?

Reading online some people have been claiming the 328i can still do 7l/100km, which is very good, even if the 320D can do 5l/100km.
    Not a 328i driver. I drive F20 125i same (detuned?) engine as 328i. I find that low economy hard to believe but perhaps if you are a sedate driver it's achievable.

Edit: These stats seem more realistic http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/328i
    Last edited by Excalibur; 15-06-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    You are black you ****ing Moron

Is there a similar thread comparing Merc W204( specific ) petrol vs diesel. Considering getting a 2014/15 model. But maintenance scares the ..... out of me.

I have a 2013 F30 320D auto
    Lifetime fuel consumption ave is about 6.5l/100km
    in town, it's a big heavy car..so it uses a bit of juice. On the open road you can happily get in the 4 litres/100km.
    In terms of petrol vs diesel, thats really a personal choice.
    What I can say is keep in mind the model spec and wheel size. Those 19" Msport wheels look awesome, but the tyres are pricey.
    The 17's I have on my car are over R2k a pop (runflats) not that it's a deal breaker.....just something thing to keep in mind
    "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

Quote Originally Posted by justplain View Post
    The 17's I have on my car are over R2k a pop (runflats) not that it's a deal breaker.....just something thing to keep in mind
    That's good advice. I've heard that the BMW tyres on the X5 and 5-Series go for R5 000 each too. Just another reason to not buy a car out of one's price range, it'll bite back.
    Change is the only constant.

Grandmaster

I have a 2013 F30 320D auto
    Lifetime fuel consumption ave is about 6.5l/100km
    in town, it's a big heavy car..so it uses a bit of juice. On the open road you can happily get in the 4 litres/100km.
    In terms of petrol vs diesel, thats really a personal choice.
    What I can say is keep in mind the model spec and wheel size. Those 19" Msport wheels look awesome, but the tyres are pricey.
    You don't have to run runflats, do you? You can get a repair kit from BMW and run normal tires.
    (ಠ_ಠ)

That's good advice. I've heard that the BMW tyres on the X5 and 5-Series go for R5 000 each too. Just another reason to not buy a car out of one's price range, it'll bite back.
    Well just don't replace with runflats?

Or get a spare wheel to chuck in the boot, the runflats give a harsher ride, but with the stiffer sidewalls, they are a bit more pothole resistant.
    I have a F20 120d auto msport, and I must say, what an amazing car, (coming from a polo tdi) that 8-speed auto is a dream, in town I drive like boy racer 80% of the time, and I still average 6.5 - 7.0l/100km, would love to see the petrol variant do the same.. Everybody keeps talking about reliability of diesels not being as good as the petrol, but the technology has improved tremendously in the last couple of years, if you take good care of it, it will take good care of you(and your wallet)

Grandmaster

IIRC The F30 328i is also a 4 pot 2.0 litre turbo.
    Link to me on Samsung Rewards and earn a starting bonus. http://s-rewards.co.za/linkme.html?id=1B0034026

Yeah 4-pot putting out 180kw in 328i. 185kw in 330i LCI. With the LCI the 328i became the 330i.

Quote Originally Posted by kripstoe View Post
    You don't have to run runflats, do you? You can get a repair kit from BMW and run normal tires.
    the car should come with a repair kit and 12v compressor to inflate/top up the tyres.
    I am not entirely sure about the use of non run flats. There is no provision/space to put a spare in the boot. Any spare you put in there you'd have to tie down otherwise it'll fly around. There is also no jack, you'd have to get one of those too...and a wheel spanner. Also BMW may be sticky with their warranty if you use non RFT's on the car. That is worth checking. In terms of ride comfort, I cannot comment. The ride to me is what i expect from a more sporting sedan. I do have the adaptive msport suspension which I'm told really makes a difference over the standard suspension.
    I've also had punctures in each of the 4 tyres and had them all plugged. AS long as you get it tended to quickly and don''t drive around with the tyre deflated then they can usually be patched (depending on damage of course) They are also pretty good wearing. You should get about 40k/kms out of a set, if not more (at least my OEM Bridgestone Potenza S001's have lasted that long)

Also, if you can find one with Harmon Kardon upgraded radio.....get that one!
    Also Sportline/mpsort have more supportive seats that the base and luxury line....
    "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

Also Sportline/mpsort have more supportive seats that the base and luxury line....
    Don't they also have harder suspension? I don't want that lol, I want something soft and comfy.

Super Grandmaster

If new or under motor plan, 320D
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    If new or under motor plan, 320D
    New, yeah right lol. The prices on new Beemers are eyewatering. You basically end up having to take one of their massive residual options that gets you into a new one ever three years, but you never own it. That's unless you have *serious* money to your name.

The diesels are an absolute pleasure to drive in town and on the open road, and the lower consumption is more of a bonus than you think lol.... I did a lot of driving in my sister's E90 320D

I recently had the newish (2014) 116i on loan for a week, and it was slow (even in Sport), and very heavy on juice.... I then had an A3 on loan for a week, it too was kinda slow, but it was using HALF that of the 116i - and I couldn't believe how far I got on R150 diesel (I wasn't expecting to have it very long) but I did 140km and then still had 100km to go according to the computer and hadn't hit reserve, the 116i - I used R300 for 260km - and that was always driving in eco pro with a sedate foot.... I know I'm not comparing apples with apples but it was such a pleasure not to have your usual driving habits impeded by your fuel consumption.

Super Grandmaster

New, yeah right lol. The prices on new Beemers are eyewatering. You basically end up having to take one of their massive residual options that gets you into a new one ever three years, but you never own it. That's unless you have *serious* money to your name.
    Sad but true!

But the 320D is an awesome machine. I'd take it over a 320i any day, having driven both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast