Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 316 to 326 of 326

Thread: BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

  1. #316
    Super Grandmaster Foxhound5366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East of Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Messugga View Post
    I was also told by BMW that not fitting an approved tire would void the motorplan on my car. R4800 for the tire...
    X5?
    Change is the only constant.

  2. #317
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    8,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    They make you get your own cappuccino, AND force you to travel with other strangers in a group? How very well dare they! I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to the president of BMW, alerting him to this barbarism at once.

    Speaking of BMW tyres, I do need to get new tyres ... can anybody recommend the most comfortable approved BMW run-flats for a BMW 320i F30? I don't know if there's only one kind though (the ones on my car currently are Continentals I think), or can you get run-flats for the same car from different brands?
    Most major brands make runflats. I have Bridgestones. Can't really recommend them but it's what the car came with. They don't like cold surfaces much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Aye, but 'tis rare. That's my thing, rare no matter if it's POS

  3. #318
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    8,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    X5?
    Nope. 330D. 255/35R19. Struggled to find stock at the time. I see they're around R4600 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Aye, but 'tis rare. That's my thing, rare no matter if it's POS

  4. #319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    They make you get your own cappuccino, AND force you to travel with other strangers in a group? How very well dare they! I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to the president of BMW, alerting him to this barbarism at once.

    Speaking of BMW tyres, I do need to get new tyres ... can anybody recommend the most comfortable approved BMW run-flats for a BMW 320i F30? I don't know if there's only one kind though (the ones on my car currently are Continentals I think), or can you get run-flats for the same car from different brands?
    Try the dealership for tyres; they are often fairly competitively priced on tyres because they're one of the few brands that use run flats.

    You can find cheaper brands that they don't stock, but make sure that the speed rating and all that is in-line with what's required.

  5. #320
    Super Grandmaster Foxhound5366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East of Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Messugga View Post
    Nope. 330D. 255/35R19. Struggled to find stock at the time. I see they're around R4600 now.
    Oh don't say that 0.o I hope to goodness that's not what my car has ... and it does have big rims too, thanks to the Luxury Line trim. Oh well, with great looks comes great ... pain.
    Change is the only constant.

  6. #321
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    8,983

    Default BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    Oh don't say that 0.o I hope to goodness that's not what my car has ... and it does have big rims too, thanks to the Luxury Line trim. Oh well, with great looks comes great ... pain.
    The width is the bit that hurts. Don't think the 320 is quite as bad. Remember, the 330D pushes quite a lot of torque through those wheels.

    My front tires are about a grand less, if memory serves.

    Also, found dealership prices on par with tires shops. Not worth shopping around unless you have lots of free time.
    Last edited by Messugga; 06-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Aye, but 'tis rare. That's my thing, rare no matter if it's POS

  7. #322
    Super Grandmaster Foxhound5366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East of Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    So here's another interesting BMW question: I got a quote on a one-year extension to my BMW Motorplan, and it's a relatively hefty R17 630.

    Has anybody purchased an extension and been happy they did? Did you save yourself some big expense that year, or did you regret you'd gotten it?

    I discovered that apparently I can get the amount added to my car finance, but that might not be worth it in the long run (it appears I'd pay around R10 000 in interest over a standard 60-month term).

    Also a random couple facts: you can only extend your BMW Motorplan to 7 years from the date it was purchased, so two one-year extensions (and they only come one year at a time) above the standard five year plan.
    Change is the only constant.

  8. #323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    So here's another interesting BMW question: I got a quote on a one-year extension to my BMW Motorplan, and it's a relatively hefty R17 630.

    Has anybody purchased an extension and been happy they did? Did you save yourself some big expense that year, or did you regret you'd gotten it?

    I discovered that apparently I can get the amount added to my car finance, but that might not be worth it in the long run (it appears I'd pay around R10 000 in interest over a standard 60-month term).

    Also a random couple facts: you can only extend your BMW Motorplan to 7 years from the date it was purchased, so two one-year extensions (and they only come one year at a time) above the standard five year plan.
    Ask dealership for warranty rather, covers the major stuff for unlimited amount. Cost 14k for 2 years unlimited Km.
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

  9. #324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    So here's another interesting BMW question: I got a quote on a one-year extension to my BMW Motorplan, and it's a relatively hefty R17 630.

    Has anybody purchased an extension and been happy they did? Did you save yourself some big expense that year, or did you regret you'd gotten it?

    I discovered that apparently I can get the amount added to my car finance, but that might not be worth it in the long run (it appears I'd pay around R10 000 in interest over a standard 60-month term).

    Also a random couple facts: you can only extend your BMW Motorplan to 7 years from the date it was purchased, so two one-year extensions (and they only come one year at a time) above the standard five year plan.
    I broke even after the first year, and then came out well ahead after the second. The last two years after it expired has been trouble free motoring.

  10. #325
    Super Grandmaster Foxhound5366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East of Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    So I'm just about to pull the trigger on getting new run flat tyres for my 320i, and when I asked a tyre place I trust which they'd recommend for comfort, they said the Michelin Primacy HP Zero Pressure are more comfortable (albeit only slightly more expensive) than the factory-fitted Continental ContiSportContact 5 SSR Run Flats I currently have on.

    Anybody have an opinion on those two tyres? If I'm going to be spending R12 000+ on a new set, it'd be nice to know I got the best in that price range.
    Change is the only constant.

  11. #326

    Default

    Primacy HP all the way, never got a tyre again that could match the performance.
    Sad that its not available in my car's wheel size anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Similar Threads

  1. BMW 320d
    By Photosbot1 in forum Photography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-08-2015, 07:45 AM
  2. BWM 320i and 320i Start differences?
    By gregmcc in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 26-03-2012, 03:18 PM
  3. E46 BMW 320d
    By ne3tz in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
  4. BMW E90 320d ECU
    By Whyohwhy in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-07-2009, 09:57 PM
  5. Bmw 320d
    By Amplifier in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •