You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Navy ship experiencing flooding after colliding with container ship off coast of J

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
    Agree, but I do believe that both crews was exposed to human error. Since there are no dedicated shipping lanes in the area it is up to communication, to establish unobstructed routes, between vessels, and much can go wrong here due to misinterpretation.
    I've read these container ships can and do sail on auto-pilot. Given they have a crew of 20 and it was something like 4 in the morning, one must wonder if anyone in the container ship was even awake or at the helm.

Why does this happen so often: https://www.rt.com/news/387711-us-wa...s-south-korea/

I'm starting to think that sinking one of these ships is easier than one might think
    Last edited by Gnome; 18-06-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Super Grandmaster

I suspect it's unlikely that the Fitzgerald would have had all its fancy combat/theatre radars and electronics switched on while travelling through regular merchant navy shipping lanes. It was just a regular low-profile tub slipping through the darkness. Still, on the face of it it's embarrassing for any naval vessel.

Also, I think it most unlikely that there will be a cover-up. With seven dead, the families will push for a full enquiry and disclosure. And because this wasn't a combat mission the families of those killed and injured could even sue the Navy if they believe they're not getting all the facts.

I strongly suspect that some naval officers are going to have to take some blame.

Yes, it may have not been their fault but US naval personnel with their superior training and equipment are held to a higher standard than the crew of a merchant ship.

I can see some demotions and discharges coming. Or at the very least this will remain on their professional records for a very long time making promotions very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    I'm starting to think that sinking one of these ships is easier than one might think
    I was thinking the opposite actually. Given that container ship moer'd into it I'd say it's in remarkably good shape....remember those things have a stopping distance of a couple kilometers.

Also...pretty sure those ships are designed on the assumption that nothing like that ever comes into physical contact with it...it's got a mountain of fk off missiles to make sure of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    I've read these container ships can and do sail on auto-pilot. Given they have a crew of 20 and it was something like 4 in the morning, one must wonder if anyone in the container ship was even awake or at the helm.

Why does this happen so often: https://www.rt.com/news/387711-us-wa...s-south-korea/

Lol you got good jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I suspect it's unlikely that the Fitzgerald would have had all its fancy combat/theatre radars and electronics switched on while travelling through regular merchant navy shipping lanes. It was just a regular low-profile tub slipping through the darkness. Still, on the face of it it's embarrassing for any naval vessel.

Also, I think it most unlikely that there will be a cover-up. With seven dead, the families will push for a full enquiry and disclosure. And because this wasn't a combat mission the families of those killed and injured could even sue the Navy if they believe they're not getting all the facts.
    Can only sue with the permission of Congress first

Quote Originally Posted by cn@ View Post
    I strongly suspect that some naval officers are going to have to take some blame.

Yes, it may have not been their fault but US naval personnel with their superior training and equipment are held to a higher standard than the crew of a merchant ship.

I can see some demotions and discharges coming. Or at the very least this will remain on their professional records for a very long time making promotions very unlikely.
    If negligence is proven someone is going to the big...cause of the loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by crackersa View Post
    If negligence is proven someone is going to the big...cause of the loss of life.
    The big or the brig?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The big or the brig?

Brig

Default US Navy ship experiencing flooding after colliding with container ship off coast of J

The bodies of the sailors were found in the flooded compartments. Someone must have ordered the sealing of the doors knowing there were sailors trapped inside.

Prepare yourselves for ISIS' new MWD, container ships ...

Quote Originally Posted by Warner View Post
    The bodies of the sailors were found in the flooded compartments. Someone must have ordered the sealing of the doors knowing there were sailors trapped inside.
    It was that or the ship unfortunately.

The ship suffered severe damage rapidly flooding 3 large compartments that included 1 machinery room and 2 berthing areas for 116 crew.

The Commanding Officer's cabin was also directly hit, trapping the CO [commanding officer] inside. The crew's response was swift and effective, and I want to point out - as we stand by the ship - how proud I am of them.

Heroic efforts prevented the flooding from catastrophically spreading which could have caused the ship to founder or sink. It could have been much worse.

The crew navigated the ship into one of the busiest ports in the world with a magnetic compass and backup navigation equipment. 1 of 2 shafts were locked.

Because of the tireless damage control efforts of a resolute and courageous team, the ship was able to make its way back to port safely on its own power last evening.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Warner View Post
    Standard procedure unfortunately
    Best Sports Betting -> Your guide to South African Bookies

The Chinese and Russians must be having a right laugh at this. How embaressing
    Programmers are not to be measured by their ingenuity and their logic but by the completeness of their case analysis. Alan J. Perlis

I have been out with our Navy on several training exercises. No matter what the conditions strong observation was enforced at all times as a habit. On a warship situational awareness is the difference between life and death. The fact that this collision could have happened suggests that either the US Navy has low professional standards (very unlikely) or that there was negligence. The argument for negligence is reinforced by the ship having been struck on the starboard side. Maritime codes require that a vessel give way to another approaching from the starboard. In other words the container ship most likely had right of way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast