You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OUTSurance slated over 'racist' Father's Day ad

Default OUTSurance slated over 'racist' Father's Day ad

http://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/outsu...ay-ad-20170619

Johannesburg - A Father's Day advert by OUTsurance has landed the company in hot water, with numerous Twitter users lambasting the insurer and threatening to cancel their policies.

The advert, which drew fire for only depicting white fathers as good parents, was called racist by numerous users. Scores of users took to Twitter to call the company out for not featuring black fathers in the video.

In response, OUTsurance posted a short tweet to apologise for the advert.

“We apologise for our Father's Day video. It did not appropriately represent SA's demographics. It was an unintentional oversight,” the company tweeted from its @OUTsurance account.

The insurer further seemed to blame a junior staff member for the production of the video, with other reports stating it had not been approved by senior management.

The video has since been removed online.
    Was the ad racist because it showed only white men? If so, this is sickening. - Anyone seen or has the ad?

My word what a ****ed up world we live in, where such trivial things matter LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianax View Post
    http://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/outsu...ay-ad-20170619

Was the ad racist because it showed only white men? If so, this is sickening. - Anyone seen or has the ad?
    Yep, watched it unfold from when the video was posted. I said to myself this is not going to end well for outsurance

You just simply post something about awesome Dads and have only white men in it, you are asking for trouble

Super Grandmaster

What type of person checks the demographics of adverts?

Probably people without proper father figures

Quote Originally Posted by sox63 View Post
    Yep, watched it unfold from when the video was posted. I said to myself this is not going to end well for outsurance

You just simply post something about awesome Dads and have only white men in it, you are asking for trouble
    Especially when your main client base is non-white.

Gets outraged at ad.... conveniently ignores the fact that the majority of blacks grow up in a fatherless home (and that's in the US, I fully expect the number to be way worse here)

Foeitog.
    Zalman Z9-Plus | Corsair 650W | Asus P8P67-Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz (CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Push-Pull) | VTX3D 6870 @ Stock | 8GB Mushkin Silverline

A Djinn

You wanna talk about black fathers? I still have yet to meet a coloured father.
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanza View Post
    My word what a ****ed up world we live in, where such trivial things matter LOL.
    In a country with our history and where families have been impacted by decades of unjust government, for a Fathers Day advert to depict only 8.5% of the population (that of the previous oppressor no less) is obviously problematic.

Outsurance ad agency should be hip to this tbh. Now before you jump down my throat - this isn't an SJW issue, it's just dof advertising.

THE MOTHER OF ALL CITIES - FAFK (airfield)

so we should go back and do what the old apartheid people did - 2 of each - and english ad and an afrikaans ad, but in this case it will be B/W ads?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke "

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMike View Post
    for a Fathers Day advert to depict only 8.5% of the population (that of the previous oppressor no less)
    Is it better then to feature the current oppressor?
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja'd View Post
    You wanna talk about black fathers? I still have yet to meet a coloured father.
    I know many!... or wait is his name Manny?

They have obviously not sat through all the pre movie adverts in a ster-kinekor recently.

for a Fathers Day advert to depict only 8.5% of the population (that of the previous oppressor no less) is obviously problematic.
    Well, maybe they had an issue getting a colored father and a his kid in the same space before the recording deadline.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/20...atherless-kids

"The proportion of South African children with such fathers increased between 1996 and 2010 from 42% to 47%. This means almost half of all South African children are growing up without their fathers, though their fathers are alive."

Black children are the most affected by this trend, at 51%.
    While only 17% of white children have absent fathers, this figure represents an increase of 32% since 1996, and it is the largest increase in all racialgroups.

So if you really wanted to play the numbers, if there were six dads and their kids in the ad, one of them should have been black.
    Of course, I'll be branded a racist for pointing this out.
    Bring it on. *shrug*
    Last edited by RaptorSA; 19-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    Zalman Z9-Plus | Corsair 650W | Asus P8P67-Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz (CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Push-Pull) | VTX3D 6870 @ Stock | 8GB Mushkin Silverline

Super Grandmaster

In a country with our history and where families have been impacted by decades of unjust government, for a Fathers Day advert to depict only 8.5% of the population (that of the previous oppressor no less) is obviously problematic.

Outsurance ad agency should be hip to this tbh. Now before you jump down my throat - this isn't an SJW issue, it's just dof advertising.
    What if it showed only Pedi fathers?
    What if it only showed fathers who are in good physical shape? (and not fat fathers)
    What if it only showed fathers with no mental deficiencies?
    What if it only showed fathers who are biologically male?
    What if it only showed fathers who had biological children?
    What if it only showed straight fathers?
    What if it only showed human fathers?

I can play this game all day, there are near infinite amount of combinations you can do this with and still make the same SJW arguments.

White ppl devorce alot and that is broke home the child grow up in and that is why it better to have absent father then a father who moer you and your mommy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast