You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DNS of Telkomsa.net contact (Trouble with emails from Google )

Thumbs down DNS of Telkomsa.net contact (Trouble with emails from Google )

Hi there,

ANybody around here knows how to get in touch with a Telkomsa.net DNS administrator?
    (and not via @telkomsa.net email addresses )

Reason, there have been, since last week, a situation where most of the times telkomsa.net's MX records doesn't resolve via Google's DNS (at least the public resolvers and the resolvers that GoogleMail uses). The entries appears to be correct, but Google's DNS resolvers can't resolve it...

Messages from GMail:

The response was:
    DNS Error: 51236578 DNS type 'mx' lookup of telkomsa.net responded with code SERVFAIL

DEbugging (From Germany):

[email protected]:~$ dig mx telkomsa.net @8.8.8.8

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u11-Debian <<>> mx telkomsa.net @8.8.8.8
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 62433
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;telkomsa.net. IN MX

;; Query time: 2020 msec
    ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Jun 20 00:22:11 SAST 2017
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 41

[email protected]:~$ dig mx telkomsa.net @5.11.11.5

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u11-Debian <<>> mx telkomsa.net @5.11.11.5
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32665
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 5

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1480
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;telkomsa.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    telkomsa.net. 3600 IN MX 10 mx2.telkomsa.net.
    telkomsa.net. 3600 IN MX 10 mail.telkomsa.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    telkomsa.net. 3600 IN NS ns1.telkomsa.net.
    telkomsa.net. 3600 IN NS ns2.telkomsa.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    mail.telkomsa.net. 3600 IN A 196.25.211.70
    mx2.telkomsa.net. 3600 IN A 196.25.211.172
    ns1.telkomsa.net. 1030 IN A 105.226.1.4
    ns2.telkomsa.net. 2327 IN A 105.224.1.4

;; Query time: 408 msec
    ;; SERVER: 5.11.11.5#53(5.11.11.5)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Jun 20 00:22:21 SAST 2017
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 182

[email protected]:~$

In had same problem. The problem is with the Google DNS server. Use 196.43.42.190

Quote Originally Posted by Sennah View Post
    In had same problem. The problem is with the Google DNS server. Use 196.43.42.190
    Everything else works fine on Google DNS, so the issue isn't Google' side.

I agree, but if he want's to read his email he must use a different DNS server.

I agree, but if he want's to read his email he must use a different DNS server.
    Well, *my* emails I read fine, thank you.

The problem is that Telkomsa.net users don't *receive* emails from GoogleMail users

see my dig's and I don't use Google's DNS for my servers, home adsl/etc. I have proper self resolving resolvers

The problem does appear to be something where Telkomsa.net's DNS is not talking (correctly??) to Google's DNS... and that is where the fun lies and I won't be surprised if telkomsa.net's dns servers somehow have a rate limiter preventing/stopping the queries coming from Google's DNS as a way to "prevent ddos attacks"... but here I am just airing my hypothesis...

This issue is to get telkomsa.net's DNS administrators to investigate why Google's DNS isn't seeing/resolving Telkomsa.net's MX records.
    Last edited by Meester; 20-06-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: s/way/why/

I have an email to Telkom that's attempting to go through the last 3 days. I thought I did something wrong, but did not bother checking why it's not successful.
    Since it's not just me I can continue procrastinating on the issue...

Had the same problem, also sending through gmail servers. Mx resolves now, but email still not going through:

"550 Your email address have Sent multiple Mails To email adresses that does not Exist,You reached your Hourly Limit."
    Last edited by HvRooyen; 20-06-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by HvRooyen View Post
    Had the same problem, also sending through gmail servers. Mx resolves now, but email still not going through:

"550 Your email address have Sent multiple Mails To email adresses that does not Exist,You reached your Hourly Limit."
    Okay, so Telkomsa.net is throttling Google mailing it's (non-existent) clients... I wonder if this is a Google way of forcing everybody to use Google's email service?
    O_o

My father has a similar issue
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G
    I braaied and beered with the legendary MortyMoose and survived!

My neighbour has had problems with Telkom email for the past week. They contacted Telkom and was told that they have server problems which should be resolved today...
    LOAD "*",8,1

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Okay, so Telkomsa.net is throttling Google mailing it's (non-existent) clients... I wonder if this is a Google way of forcing everybody to use Google's email service?
    O_o
    I suspect it is rather (as you mentioned above) overzealous application of antispam technology. I have come up against similar situations before, where gmail servers are listed as spam originators and blocked on the basis of originating IP - at least here they complete a handshake and return an error message (even if it does stir the Grammar Nazi in me).

Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    see my dig's and I don't use Google's DNS for my servers, home adsl/etc. I have proper self resolving resolvers

The problem does appear to be something where Telkomsa.net's DNS is not talking (correctly??) to Google's DNS... and that is where the fun lies and I won't be surprised if telkomsa.net's dns servers somehow have a rate limiter preventing/stopping the queries coming from Google's DNS as a way to "prevent ddos attacks"... but here I am just airing my hypothesis...
    Hey Hendrik.

No, the authoritative DNS servers were just running stock bind with no rate-limiting anywhere.

However, Google does some weird things with their DNS implementations that is intertwined with their GGC CDN they use (they optimise Google DNS for their own CDN performance, not for accuracy of other DNS data).

This issue is to get telkomsa.net's DNS administrators to investigate why Google's DNS isn't seeing/resolving Telkomsa.net's MX records.
    I would personally recommend to use your network service provider's recursive DNS service if you are unable to run a fully recursive DNS on your mail servers.

If you can show that any other DNS servers are affected (with some troubleshooting information), I can pass it on to either the network engineer (as it could be related to peering with Google) or the DNS admin.
    Nothing I post on this forum represents the views of the company I work for (or used to).
    Note: I no longer work in the telecommunications or ISP sectors.

Quote Originally Posted by HvRooyen View Post

Don't spam, or clean up your mailing lists (removed addresses that bounce).
    Nothing I post on this forum represents the views of the company I work for (or used to).
    Note: I no longer work in the telecommunications or ISP sectors.

+ Reply to Thread