Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: Beware - MTN may recycle your Afrihost sim card if not used within 90 days!

  1. #1

    Angry Beware - MTN may recycle your Afrihost sim card if not used within 90 days!

    The TL;DR version of the scrubbed chat transcript below:

    - 500MB Afrihost sim received with Redmi phone stopped working yesterday
    - Tried the basic troubleshooting of another sim in the device, and a different device, no joy, problem isolated to SIM card
    - Afrihost support said MTN recycled the number, since there was no activity on MTN's network, and usage on the Afrihost network does not constitute usage on the MTN Network. Furthermore, they can't transfer the promotional data, I should ask MTN if they can return the number to me
    - I call MTN, the voice prompts ask me to enter my phone number, and press 1 to confirm if the number I entered is correct. I press 1, and the system says "Thank you for calling MTN, Goodbye"


    Now what?



    Hello xxx xxx,

    Thank you for taking the time to chat with us. Below is the complete transcript for your reference:

    -------------------------------------
    Good dayI received my Xiaomi Redmi 4A on the 4th April with the 500mb data sim. The sim card has been working fine up until Tuesday 20 June.Yesterday, the sim card refused to register on the network. Please assist: sim number 0000000000.Steps I have tried to troubleshoot:- Trying another MTN Afrihost sim, OKPhoneNumber, in the modem, it works without issues- Trying another modem or cellphone, same sim card is also dead, other sim cards work fine.On the clientzone, it shows "Unable to retrieve airtime balance at this time" for ProblemPhoneNumber. (it shows the data balance, but error shows where the rand value of airtime must be displayed). My other 3 sim cards work fine, and balances show as normal. Please assist Regards xxx xxx
    -------------------------------------

    AfrihostDude has joined the chat.

    AfrihostDude: Hi xxx xxx! Welcome to Afrihost LiveChat. How are you doing?

    xxx xxx: Hi there. All good. Your side?

    AfrihostDude: I am well. Thank you for asking. Please hold while I check your account.

    xxx xxx: alrighty

    AfrihostDude: 0000000000 is the serial number.. Do you have the sim card's phone number?

    xxx xxx: yup, let me get the phone number quickly

    xxx xxx: ProblemPhoneNumber

    AfrihostDude: Thank you. Please hold.

    xxx xxx: [Apologies, I made an error in the question. the sim card that worked fine is OKPhoneNumber

    AfrihostDude: The service number ProblemPhoneNumber has been discontinued. It does not show that the number was used on your phone. In which device was the number used?

    xxx xxx: It was used in a D-Link DWR-730

    xxx xxx: I tried to test it in a basic phone, Stylo K1S, but it did not register

    AfrihostDude: MTN manually recycles numbers that have had no activity over a 90 day period. This is done in compliance with ICASA‘s number efficiency policy. Usage of your Afrihost data is not recognised as an activity on the MTN network.

    xxx xxx: Oh no

    AfrihostDude: The sim card was meant to be used on the phone. It has not had any MTN recognised activity over 90 days and MTN has now recycled the number.

    xxx xxx: What options do I have to get my 500MB monthly back?

    AfrihostDude: Unfortunately, the promotional data is not transferable.

    xxx xxx: Not fair Can mtn at least restore my number?

    AfrihostDude: That is something only MTN confirm. Please do contact them on 173 or visit the nearest MTN store.

    xxx xxx: Alright, thanks

    AfrihostDude: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist with so long?

    xxx xxx: That's all for now.

    AfrihostDude: Thank you for using Afrihost LiveChat. You may disconnect when you are ready. Have yourself a wonderful day further.


    Disconnected by the visitor. Chat session has ended.
    -------------------------------------




    Thank you,
    AfrihostDude
    [email protected]

    -------------------------------------
    Visitor: xxx xxx [email protected]
    Operator: [email protected]

    Chat ID: 125085102xk
    -------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Posts
    6,604

    Default

    Afrihost should supply MTN with usage data then. At the least, if they don't already, afrihost should make this requirement clear on the purchase page.
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

  3. #3

    Default

    Happened to me as well.
    Lost a number I had since MTN came into the country as a result.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reactor_sa View Post
    Afrihost should supply MTN with usage data then. At the least, if they don't already, afrihost should make this requirement clear on the purchase page.
    The funny thing is that my other 3 sim cards have not been disconnected. 2 of them are used by a relative, and I am sure he does not use it for calls. But then again, those are the DataForAll sims, i.e. month to month.

    The Xiaomi one shows as a Prepaid product

  5. #5
    Grandmaster Saajid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    InTheCube.co.za
    Posts
    4,466
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Something similar happened to me as well. Lost an MTN number I've had for 10+ years (originally a Virgin Mobile number that was ported several times). This SIM card was on MTN prepaid, and when Afrihost Mobile (voice product) launched early last year, I signed up right away. It all worked fine for about 10-11 months with no issues, and then suddenly stopped working around late Dec 2016. The SIM would register on the network, but you could not make or receive calls, use data, or even dial USSD commands. Afrihost kept blaming MTN for the problem, and MTN kept blaming Afrihost. After being given the run around for 2 weeks by both SPs, I cancelled the Afrihost Voice service, hoping that things would return to normal on MTN prepaid, but it didn't. I eventually gave up after another work, tossed the SIM card in the bin, and had to get a Telkom Mobile SIM and activated the FreeMe service. I have not looked back since, though I've had to update my telephone number at my bank, insurance, medical aid, and many other service providers. This was a huge pain that took a few months to do.

    I now recommend to everyone I know to avoid Afrihost Mobile, unless they have a number they are willing to lose. I will still recommend all Afrihost's other products, but not Afrihost Mobile. It seems that Afrihost's systems don't interface very well with MTN's, and lots of clients are getting screwed over, with both companies blaming each other, instead of resolving the problem.

    All these issues would be resolved if Afrihost were smart and innovative enough to launch their own MVNO, instead of trying to sell us this hybrid MTN/Afrihost product that is filled with weird rules and anomalies that just make no sense.
    Last edited by Saajid; 22-06-2017 at 09:35 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    If I lose my number I will lose it. Afrihost reps, do you guys have any comments regarding this?
    Hosting Web - Helping you pick a South African hosting package.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemo415 View Post
    The TL;DR version of the scrubbed chat transcript below:

    - 500MB Afrihost sim received with Redmi phone stopped working yesterday
    - Tried the basic troubleshooting of another sim in the device, and a different device, no joy, problem isolated to SIM card
    - Afrihost support said MTN recycled the number, since there was no activity on MTN's network, and usage on the Afrihost network does not constitute usage on the MTN Network. Furthermore, they can't transfer the promotional data, I should ask MTN if they can return the number to me
    - I call MTN, the voice prompts ask me to enter my phone number, and press 1 to confirm if the number I entered is correct. I press 1, and the system says "Thank you for calling MTN, Goodbye"


    Now what?



    Hello xxx xxx,

    Thank you for taking the time to chat with us. Below is the complete transcript for your reference:

    -------------------------------------
    Good dayI received my Xiaomi Redmi 4A on the 4th April with the 500mb data sim. The sim card has been working fine up until Tuesday 20 June.Yesterday, the sim card refused to register on the network. Please assist: sim number 0000000000.Steps I have tried to troubleshoot:- Trying another MTN Afrihost sim, OKPhoneNumber, in the modem, it works without issues- Trying another modem or cellphone, same sim card is also dead, other sim cards work fine.On the clientzone, it shows "Unable to retrieve airtime balance at this time" for ProblemPhoneNumber. (it shows the data balance, but error shows where the rand value of airtime must be displayed). My other 3 sim cards work fine, and balances show as normal. Please assist Regards xxx xxx
    -------------------------------------

    AfrihostDude has joined the chat.

    AfrihostDude: Hi xxx xxx! Welcome to Afrihost LiveChat. How are you doing?

    xxx xxx: Hi there. All good. Your side?

    AfrihostDude: I am well. Thank you for asking. Please hold while I check your account.

    xxx xxx: alrighty

    AfrihostDude: 0000000000 is the serial number.. Do you have the sim card's phone number?

    xxx xxx: yup, let me get the phone number quickly

    xxx xxx: ProblemPhoneNumber

    AfrihostDude: Thank you. Please hold.

    xxx xxx: [Apologies, I made an error in the question. the sim card that worked fine is OKPhoneNumber

    AfrihostDude: The service number ProblemPhoneNumber has been discontinued. It does not show that the number was used on your phone. In which device was the number used?

    xxx xxx: It was used in a D-Link DWR-730

    xxx xxx: I tried to test it in a basic phone, Stylo K1S, but it did not register

    AfrihostDude: MTN manually recycles numbers that have had no activity over a 90 day period. This is done in compliance with ICASA‘s number efficiency policy. Usage of your Afrihost data is not recognised as an activity on the MTN network.

    xxx xxx: Oh no

    AfrihostDude: The sim card was meant to be used on the phone. It has not had any MTN recognised activity over 90 days and MTN has now recycled the number.

    xxx xxx: What options do I have to get my 500MB monthly back?

    AfrihostDude: Unfortunately, the promotional data is not transferable.

    xxx xxx: Not fair Can mtn at least restore my number?

    AfrihostDude: That is something only MTN confirm. Please do contact them on 173 or visit the nearest MTN store.

    xxx xxx: Alright, thanks

    AfrihostDude: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist with so long?

    xxx xxx: That's all for now.

    AfrihostDude: Thank you for using Afrihost LiveChat. You may disconnect when you are ready. Have yourself a wonderful day further.


    Disconnected by the visitor. Chat session has ended.
    -------------------------------------




    Thank you,
    AfrihostDude
    [email protected]

    -------------------------------------
    Visitor: xxx xxx [email protected]
    Operator: [email protected]

    Chat ID: 125085102xk
    -------------------------------------
    The only instances in which this happens is if a Client adds our Mobile Data APN to an existing MTN PrePaid Sim card. We don't have access or permission to keep that sim card active. If you don't add airtime to a MTN PrePaid sim card every 60-days they will recycle.

    This will not happen if we provide you with a sim card that has our Mobile Data loaded onto it, or if the sim card is ported to our Voice product.

    This shouldn't have happened with a promotional sim card that you received with your Xiaomi though. Could you PM me your account details please.
    "Great Scott!"

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    If I lose my number I will lose it. Afrihost reps, do you guys have any comments regarding this?
    This can only happen if you are using a PrePaid MTN Sim card with our Mobile Data APN loaded onto that. Our Mobile Data APN doesn't actually involve migrating the sim card to Afrihost so we are not able to keep it active from our side.
    "Great Scott!"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfriGenie View Post
    The only instances in which this happens is if a Client adds our Mobile Data APN to an existing MTN PrePaid Sim card. We don't have access or permission to keep that sim card active. If you don't add airtime to a MTN PrePaid sim card every 60-days they will recycle.

    This will not happen if we provide you with a sim card that has our Mobile Data loaded onto it, or if the sim card is ported to our Voice product.

    This shouldn't have happened with a promotional sim card that you received with your Xiaomi though. Could you PM me your account details please.
    PM incoming

  10. #10

    Default

    Happen A LOT or they change your number from 10 to 14 and then from 14 back to 10 without letting you know

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor187 View Post
    Happen A LOT or they change your number from 10 to 14 and then from 14 back to 10 without letting you know
    I'm not sure I follow... MTN has started using 14-digit numbers for Mobile Data-only sim cards that they issue.

    You shouldn't be seeing your number change though.
    "Great Scott!"

  12. #12

    Default

    Any feedback Sir @AfriGenie

  13. #13
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    missing the mountain in bull city
    Posts
    7,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    Something similar happened to me as well. Lost an MTN number I've had for 10+ years (originally a Virgin Mobile number that was ported several times). This SIM card was on MTN prepaid, and when Afrihost Mobile (voice product) launched early last year, I signed up right away. It all worked fine for about 10-11 months with no issues, and then suddenly stopped working around late Dec 2016. The SIM would register on the network, but you could not make or receive calls, use data, or even dial USSD commands. Afrihost kept blaming MTN for the problem, and MTN kept blaming Afrihost. After being given the run around for 2 weeks by both SPs, I cancelled the Afrihost Voice service, hoping that things would return to normal on MTN prepaid, but it didn't. I eventually gave up after another work, tossed the SIM card in the bin, and had to get a Telkom Mobile SIM and activated the FreeMe service. I have not looked back since, though I've had to update my telephone number at my bank, insurance, medical aid, and many other service providers. This was a huge pain that took a few months to do.

    I now recommend to everyone I know to avoid Afrihost Mobile, unless they have a number they are willing to lose. I will still recommend all Afrihost's other products, but not Afrihost Mobile. It seems that Afrihost's systems don't interface very well with MTN's, and lots of clients are getting screwed over, with both companies blaming each other, instead of resolving the problem.

    All these issues would be resolved if Afrihost were smart and innovative enough to launch their own MVNO, instead of trying to sell us this hybrid MTN/Afrihost product that is filled with weird rules and anomalies that just make no sense.
    thanks for the feedback
    I was thinking of porting my main number to get one of these xiaomi deals
    but I cant risk losing this number

  14. #14

    Default

    Saw a warning from MTN on one of my Afrihost provisioned MTN SIMS. What constitutes use? Do I have to load airtime so I can make a call? Or is receiving a call enough?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemo415 View Post
    Any feedback Sir @AfriGenie
    I'm following-up now to see if I can get an update for you.
    "Great Scott!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beware Afrihost rollover bad practice
    By flbjhb in forum Afrihost Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
  2. Afrihost admits to insecure and unstable hosting. beware!
    By recre8 in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-07-2014, 10:54 AM
  3. Beware !! Vodacom lies about Travel Saver discount - R1,100 bill in 2 days
    By anh in forum Vodacom Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, HSDPA, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 12:10 PM
  4. AfriHost BEWARE
    By SB1982 in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM
  5. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •