Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Afrihost Fixed wireless - AKA Rain

Default Afrihost Fixed wireless - AKA Rain

Anyone given Afrihost's Rain offering a try?

Rain was WBS known mostly for it's iBurst offerings right?

Super Grandmaster

Not being able to use your own router with this product is a major fail. It's a complete deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    Not being able to use your own router with this product is a major fail. It's a complete deal breaker for me.
    Exactly. Stupidity at its finest.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    This is just the initial launch promotion made available by Rain, I am sure that in due time they will make additional offers available.

I am also not sure if LTE-A is compatible with all standard LTE modems, that could also be a factor.
    "Great Scott!"

You can use your own router, the only catch is you still have to buy theirs.

I got my modem + sim today, testing in Bellville will post an update here with details on how it's going.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I got my modem + sim today, testing in Bellville will post an update here with details on how it's going.
    Do us a favour and try the SIM in a different LTE router and give feedback? Thanks!
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AfriGenie View Post
    This is just the initial launch promotion made available by Rain, I am sure that in due time they will make additional offers available.

I am also not sure if LTE-A is compatible with all standard LTE modems, that could also be a factor.
    MyBB recently tested a RAIN SIM in an LTE-enabled smartphone - a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    so then it should work then in ANY router modem, not always branded Rain one....
    Bitcoin,Bitcoin, on the wall,

who's the wildest of them all?

Quote Originally Posted by eg2505 View Post
    so then it should work then in ANY router modem, not always branded Rain one....
    The school of thought is that it is a pain to manage a few hundred types of end user devices. Rather ship out a standard device that's known and works across the relevant bands, and that can also be remotely managed and rebooted via SNMP if required. Makes the quality of the service better and the perceived experience better overall
    I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked!"

The Rain Router works with my Asus DSL-AC52U router. The Rain one, a Huawei-B618-346B Fixed Wireless modem/router, ( I call it "the Cube") has only 2 ethernet ports and also supports DSL. But to run a wired network, one would need to connect it to either a router or a switch of some sort. The latter, in the absence of a router, is probably the cheaper solution.I connect the Cube by means of a Cat 5e cable to the Ewan port of my Asus, which has the required number of lan ports for my purposes. So that there are not an unnecessary abundance of wireless signals bouncing about the place, I have diconnected the Wlan on the Cube and use the Asus's dual band wireless instead. I am easily able to reach the Cube's control panel in this way, too, through the Asus.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    The school of thought is that it is a pain to manage a few hundred types of end user devices. Rather ship out a standard device that's known and works across the relevant bands, and that can also be remotely managed and rebooted via SNMP if required. Makes the quality of the service better and the perceived experience better overall
    It makes it much easier from the user side as all you need to configure is your WiFi. The Router can also be used for Fibre should that become available and you wish to change to it.

::NOT AN AFRIHOST REP::

Quote Originally Posted by CanisLegis View Post
    The Rain Router works with my Asus DSL-AC52U router. The Rain one, a Huawei-B618-346B Fixed Wireless modem/router, ( I call it "the Cube") has only 2 ethernet ports and also supports DSL. But to run a wired network, one would need to connect it to either a router or a switch of some sort. The latter, in the absence of a router, is probably the cheaper solution.I connect the Cube by means of a Cat 5e cable to the Ewan port of my Asus, which has the required number of lan ports for my purposes. So that there are not an unnecessary abundance of wireless signals bouncing about the place, I have diconnected the Wlan on the Cube and use the Asus's dual band wireless instead. I am easily able to reach the Cube's control panel in this way, too, through the Asus.
    Where are you located? Have you had a good experience with Rain on Afrihost?

Got LTE A from afrihost service very bad. If you change package it does not take effect at the beginning of the next month as advertised, but immediately. So if you down grade you lose your data you still had for the month. Just lost 320gig of data. Afrihost want to compensate me with only 80 gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonsteg View Post
    Got LTE A from afrihost service very bad. If you change package it does not take effect at the beginning of the next month as advertised, but immediately. So if you down grade you lose your data you still had for the month. Just lost 320gig of data. Afrihost want to compensate me with only 80 gig.
    Heya Leonsteg. Sorry about the late reply here. Upgrades happen immediately, but other types of account changes should really only happen at the end of the month. I think I'll need a little more info regarding what happened on your account in order for me to offer you a better explanation or solution. Please feel free to PM me your account info and I'll take a look.
    "And that's why you always leave a note..."

+ Reply to Thread