Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tesla powerwall 2 - When available in SA

Default Tesla powerwall 2 - When available in SA

The Powerwall 2 was going to arrive in SA in the first half of the year. That didn't happen. Any idea when they are expected?
    Also, any recommendations for an alternative supplier of Lithium Ion batteries that will be sure to honour a 10-year warranty?
    I need a 10kWH (usable) bank to replace my Cape Town-based existing set which is at end-of-life. I know I can use Lead Acid, but would prefer Lithium Ion

In my research, I've come across three brands that look worthy:

Bluenova
    Freedom won
    Mypower24

There are others e.g. BYD, but Ive not seen anyone mention them before.

An alternative to LiFePO4, are Zinc-Bromide batteries. A local supplier in George sell these 10KWh units (Redflow ZBM). The fascinating aspect of these batteries is they can be fully discharged without shortening the life of the battery. Negative is they require 2-4 hours maintenance every 2 weeks and only peak at 3, maybe 5KW.

P.S. You also get the LG chem lithium batteries, but their top of the range only has 8.8KWh usable.

-G-
    Last edited by Gallderhen; 01-08-2017 at 11:52 PM.

I've seen a crowd advertise on fb for a similar product . This it was around R39k ( maybe ex vat ), 7 year warranty , and I think 6kw. Will try to find them - might have taken a screenshot
    Last edited by gimpex; 02-08-2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Attach pic

I investigated those Redflow batteries, which would have worked well as size is no issue for my installation. The downside was that the maintenance they require cannot be scheduled, and while the process is underway you have no power. So you could end up without lights when you need it.

No news on Tesla powerwall 2? I looked at the Mercedes batteries as well. They are comparable to the Tesla batteries, but don't work with my Victron inverters

Quote Originally Posted by Gallderhen View Post
    In my research, I've come across three brands that look worthy:

Bluenova
    Freedom won
    Mypower24

There are others e.g. BYD, but Ive not seen anyone mention them before.

An alternative to LiFePO4, are Zinc-Bromide batteries. A local supplier in George sell these 10KWh units (Redflow ZBM). The fascinating aspect of these batteries is they can be fully discharged without shortening the life of the battery. Negative is they require 2-4 hours maintenance every 2 weeks and only peak at 3, maybe 5KW.

P.S. You also get the LG chem lithium batteries, but their top of the range only has 8.8KWh usable.

-G-

Super Grandmaster

It is supposed to be available through these guys http://www.greenenergysolutions.co.za/ as reported by myBB
    X

Got word yesterday that its now estimated to get to South Africa in 2018, dunno which month. Looks like we're not even blimp on the Tesla radar, so don't hold your breath on this one...

-G-

+ Reply to Thread