Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telkom HOME Unlimited question

Default Telkom HOME Unlimited question

Currently I am on a 10mbps do plan giving me 100gb of data for R699 a month. This data is unshaped. My question is,

Are these new Home unlimited plans shaped or not? Because for an extra R100 I can up my cap to 950gb so I am giving it serious thought.
    I'm Smart as a horse and hung like Einstein

As far as I know they are shaped with FUP , for the 4Mbps unlimited plan has 360 GB of FUP and will be integrated to the 10Mbps at the end of month of August

As to the 10Mbps unlimited plan not sure of the data allocation, there was a Table reflecting that a few days ago?
    Do what is right! Not what is easy! "http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/78-reach":

Here is the data allocation for the 10Mbps unlimited deal ( 900GB)
    and for the 20Mbps unlimited deal (1800GB) which will cost you R999 per month
    Do what is right! Not what is easy! "http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/78-reach":

I know the allocation, just wondering about the shaping as I do occasionally game on my line and also watch Netflix. If the Netflix port is shaped into oblivion then the upgrade is pointless

The uncapped data is unshaped. I have confirmed this with telkom multiple times plus I've tested myself. I don't think telkom does shaping on its fixed line services

If you use 25% of FUP (900/4 = 225GB unshapped data) or less its unshapped.
    Above that only if network is congested you be shapped but limited time.

How do I confirm the allocations?
    i.e. 10mbps 900GB

4mbps 360GB

Quote Originally Posted by friedpiggy View Post
    I know the allocation, just wondering about the shaping as I do occasionally game on my line and also watch Netflix. If the Netflix port is shaped into oblivion then the upgrade is pointless
    Is there anything I can test for you, pings to servers etc. on 4Mb/s fibre and no issues.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by adielk View Post
    How do I confirm the allocations?
    i.e. 10mbps 900GB

4mbps 360GB
    It was published some time back, will look for it and report back.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broad...-packages.html
    http://www.htxt.co.za/2017/07/28/tel...rnet-packages/
    Last edited by ponder; 11-09-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Thanks. Just dont want a repeat of LTE uncapped disaster. Running LTE "uncapped" for netflix and adsl for rest of household.

Quote Originally Posted by adielk View Post
    Thanks. Just dont want a repeat of LTE uncapped disaster. Running LTE "uncapped" for netflix and adsl for rest of household.
    I'll give some firsthand experience here - currently on HOME Unlimited 4Mbps package. Granted, our infrastructure in the area is new and we seem to be fairly close to the exchange as we're getting 3.85Mbps download speeds over wifi. I've tested at various times of the day and night, have streamed, downloaded etc etc and have not yet been shaped in any form. I believe they only apply shaping via the FUP (I think I read buried deep in the smallprint that they do apply shaping to Torrents but they prioritize browsing, gaming and streaming). So we're using ours (my wife and I, kids too small for much use) for facebook, gaming, streaming - watch DSTV now, showmax without any glitches (also over wifi through chromecast) and can run a steady 720p stream (fine for us). Downloads scheduled overnight which don't count towards FUP. Thus far we're consuming no more than 2gb per day during the week (closer to 1gb on average) and 4Gb on the weekends after streaming sports etc. Thus far very, very happy

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Name:  FUP throttle Telkom HOMEunlimited.png
Views: 363
Size:  43.1 KB

Thank you, once again, Super Grandmaster ponder.

Click here for Telkom's UNLIMITEDhome packages: https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/sh...pped-internet/
    The best thing since sliced bread (whole wheat bread). Hehe.

Name:  sliced-brown-bread.png
Views: 351
Size:  483.6 KB
    Last edited by beesboertjie; 13-09-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beesboertjie View Post
    Name:  FUP throttle Telkom HOMEunlimited.png
Views: 363
Size:  43.1 KB

Thank you, once again, Super Grandmaster ponder.

Click here for Telkom's UNLIMITEDhome packages: https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/sh...pped-internet/
    The best thing since sliced bread (whole wheat bread). Hehe.

Name:  sliced-brown-bread.png
Views: 351
Size:  483.6 KB
    How's the telkom network performance lately? I left years ago and back then it wasn't very stable. I was thinking of going LTE but the inconsistent latency and speed and the price is putting me off. What sort of speed and ping do u get Mr Sasko? You wouldn't rave about it for no reason... the deal is tempting. Especially with line rental and other stuff
    Last edited by WaRLoRd ZA; 13-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaRLoRd ZA View Post
    How's the telkom network performance lately? I left years ago and back then it wasn't very stable. I was thinking of going LTE but the inconsistent latency and speed and the price is putting me off. What sort of speed and ping do u get Mr Sasko? You wouldn't rave about it for no reason...
    Depends I suppose on the quality of your line / proximity to the exchange but unless their DNS servers go on the bork I'm getting close to full speed on my 4Mbps line the vast majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy_V View Post
    Depends I suppose on the quality of your line / proximity to the exchange but unless their DNS servers go on the bork I'm getting close to full speed on my 4Mbps line the vast majority of the time.
    Name:  IMG_20170908_075119.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  73.9 KB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast