Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Minister accused of slapping women after ANC leadership debate

Super Grandmaster

Default 2 men who helped Manana assault women in Cubana plead guilty

Randburg – Two men, who along with former deputy minister of higher education Mduduzi Manana assaulted three women in Johannesburg in August, pleaded guilty in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The men pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm following their involvement in the assault on three women at Cubaña, a popular hangout spot in Fourways, Johannesburg, on August 6.

Cyril Madonsela, 35, and his co-accused 30-year-old Thulani Mdaka, had both their legal teams read out identical affidavits, confirming their version of events.

Madonsela and Mdaka said they had arrived at Cubaña at 20:00 and sat on the couches. A while later, some women sat down not too far from them, but they hadn’t talked directly.

They said in their affidavits that the commotion ensued when they asked the women to stop filming them. A 14-second video of the violent assault went viral on social media after one of the victims tweeted about her experience.

The two pleaded guilty to assaulting Mandisa Duma and Noluthando Mahlaba, submitting to the court that they unlawfully assaulted the women by pulling them to the ground, slapping, hitting, kicking, pushing, punching and pulling their hair.

"I admit that there was no lawful defence for acting in the manner that I did, since my life was not threatened or in danger, nor was the act in self-defence. I was fully aware of my action," the court heard.

The two walked into the courtroom looking suave, with Madonsela wearing a tight-fitting black suit with a red-and-white pocket square, and Mdaka wearing a burgundy suit with a white shirt.

They kept their heads down during proceedings, standing only to address the magistrate.

Manana, who appeared in the same court recently, has since resigned and apologised for his "regrettable" actions. In a clip broadcast on radio, Manana can be heard talking to one of the victims’ brothers, saying that he assaulted her because she called him "gay".

One of the men was arrested after a victim pointed him out in the court building during Manana's appearance on September 13, and the other handed himself over to police on the same day.

The two will have their bail extended under the same conditions, until their appearance again in the same court for pre-sentencing on November 7.

Manana is also due to appear for the third time on that day.

News24

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...uilty-20171006
    My views are not cast in stone

Super Grandmaster

I want justice to be delivered - Manana

Johannesburg - Former Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training Mduduzi Manana says he is not seeking a lenient sentence, but only wants justice to be served.

"I am quite remorseful and have taken full responsibility, but I do want justice to be delivered especially to the victims," Manana told journalists after his brief appearance at the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

He was due to be sentenced on Tuesday but the matter was postponed to Wednesday.

On September 13, Manana was convicted of three counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm after pleading guilty to the charges.

The charges relate to the assault of three women at Cubana in Fourways on August 6.

The assault was filmed and went viral on social media sparking a national outcry for his arrest.

Plea explanation

Manana said he wanted to reach out to the victims but his bail conditions did not allow it.

"I would initiate a process after the case to reach out to the victims, to reach out to the families so that going forward our relations are accordingly," he said.

Manana's legal counsel, Michael Motsoeneng Bill said he had only received the correctional supervision report on Tuesday morning, and probational officer report on Monday.

Bill said he had no proper opportunity to go through the two reports and asked if the matter could be postponed to Wednesday.

Dressed in a brown tailored suit, Manana appeared calm and smiling with some family members and friends in the gallery.

In his plea explanation in September, Manana said one of the woman, Noluthando Mahlaba who joined their table had asked him: "Who do you think you are? You isitabane [gay]."

He said, following this remark, he intentionally assaulted Mahlaba with an open hand on her face and back.

Manana also said he pulled her hair, pulled her to the ground, kicked and punched her.

He said a fight then broke out in which he also intentionally assaulted two other women - Monoisa Duma and Thina Mopipa.

The case against his co-accused Thulani Mdaka and Cyril Madonsela has been postponed in the same court to November 16 pending a victim impact report.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...anana-20171107

My views are not cast in stone

Super Grandmaster

BREAKING: Mduduzi Manana Was Twice Convicted Of Theft

http://www.safrica24.com/south-afric...eft/29774-news

Johannesburg - The State has revealed that former deputy minister of higher education, Mduduzi Manana, has two previous convictionsfor theft dating back to 2004 and 2005.
    "How do you keep an ANC official sober?
    You ask them to run a piss-up in a brewery."
    Bruce Gorton, TheTimes

to reach out to the families so that going forward our relations are accordingly
    Any idea what on earth that is supposed to mean?

A Djinn

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeky View Post
    BREAKING: Mduduzi Manana Was Twice Convicted Of Theft

http://www.safrica24.com/south-afric...eft/29774-news
    How did the journalists not pick this up before? Of course the ANC counts those as suitable qualifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

A Djinn

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    Any idea what on earth that is supposed to mean?
    Maybe he meant cordial?
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

Usual anc trash and criminals.
    They get all the good cadre jobs while the honest poor voters suffer in poverty.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja'd View Post
    How did the journalists not pick this up before? Of course the ANC counts those as suitable qualifications.
    Sounds like it only surfaced in court today at the sentencing, not sure, just heard on the radio and found that link.
    Bruce Gorton, TheTimes

Super Grandmaster

So 1 was a can of Coke, maybe he did forget, wonder what the other one was.
    https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...-coke-11908472
    Bruce Gorton, TheTimes

Yeah right a anc cadre, with two prior criminal records with anger problems admitting to assault of a woman and he still wants to keep his firearm.
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

charges relate to the assault of three women
    The former deputy minister asked the court for a suitable sentence, preferably a fine
    So, the outcome here should a 42 year sentence... nice

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeky View Post
    So 1 was a can of Coke, maybe he did forget, wonder what the other one was.
    https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...-coke-11908472
    The other one was for assault.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...a-can-of-coke/
    TimeDesign, the recommended school timetabling/scheduling program for the Free State Department of Education.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    So, the outcome here should a 42 year sentence... nice
    Attempted murder going by recent court judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    Attempted murder going by recent court judgement.
    Yarp, 14years for each attempted murder

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast