Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 489

Thread: Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    Right wingers seem insistent to cram everybody into boxes to fit their narrow world view. Especially in a way that benefits themselves, nothing honest about it. They're arrogant POS.
    Well, you are labeling people and putting them in a box also.

    If you can do it to further your own cause then why not others?

    Just because you sin differently doesn't make you holy.

  2. #32
    Banned chunk10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Joziburg
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkop View Post
    Are you purposefully being obtuse? All women in a daycare are strangers to you. Whether you have known them for a day or a year. Yet a daycare full of strange women is less a risk than a daycare full of strange men.

    Now, go ahead and deny this and show me the error of my ways.
    Are you saying all men are trash?

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    Oh so woman nurses are uncaring but woman daycare workers are just fine?
    Nope. I think you are too emotional about this topic to see clearly.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    Right wingers seem insistent to cram everybody into boxes to fit their narrow world view. Especially in a way that benefits themselves, nothing honest about it. They're arrogant POS.
    Oh man, you owe me a new irony meter.

  5. #35
    Super Grandmaster Knyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The lair
    Posts
    23,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techne View Post
    Oh man, you owe me a new irony meter.
    Hey it's like saying those Nation of Islam blacks are racist.

    Ironic, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chunk10 View Post
    Are you saying all men are trash?
    Only men that enjoy being around (other people's) children.

  7. #37
    Super Grandmaster Knyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The lair
    Posts
    23,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkop View Post
    Nope. I think you are too emotional about this topic to see clearly.
    More like you've painted yourself into a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    More like you've painted yourself into a corner.
    One will always do that when generalising.

  9. #39
    Banned chunk10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Joziburg
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkop View Post
    Only men that enjoy being around (other people's) children.
    Pediatricians are trash?
    Male school teachers are trash?
    Male sports coaches are trash?

  10. #40
    Super Grandmaster Knyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The lair
    Posts
    23,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkop View Post
    One will always do that when generalising.
    That's the crux of the matter. People don't want to be generalised (yes Techne, irony), but this guy insisted on doing it in his internal memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

  11. #41
    Super Grandmaster Cray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    12,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techne View Post
    Tell Paul Zachary to read a little more. here is a good start:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780128023884
    Well done, you know how to google - now how do those differences effect a persons' ability as a software engineer?

  12. #42
    Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the mother city
    Posts
    8,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Perhaps you should rather take the word of an actual working biologist (professor) rather than a software engineer..
    que?!? The "software engineer" in question has a PhD in Biology, ergo he has the exact same academic qualification as a biology professor would have.

    What on earth makes you think one who teaches somehow magically possesses a more qualified opinion than one who has studied the same discipline with the same rigor?
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

    http://lucidramble.com

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chunk10 View Post
    Pediatricians are trash?
    Male school teachers are trash?
    Male sports coaches are trash?
    Was being facetious, cone kop.

  14. #44
    Super Grandmaster The_Assimilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Galactic North
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Here's a comment from Slashdot that pretty much sums up my views:

    I've read it. It is well thought out (considering its goal) and sourced (where sources are used, but there are a number of baseless assertions), and very cleverly written, but the ideas it expresses are not reasonable or novel.

    The essay is meticulously written to keep one's racism radar close to background noise level. The effort put into this document's stealth is admirable. There are only a few sentences that should send it into yellow alert.

    But under this document's matte black, angled surface, it carries a rather primitive payload of scientific racism and sexism. and blanket opposition to the concept of affirmative action. The author makes his argument by attempting to dress these concepts as the lesser evils and the more meritocratic and logical options. It's a great work of underhanded political writing hiding a rather crude and unremarkable argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    What a load of bull. Women abuse children all the time, even infanticide happens regularly.

    Typical internet right-winger putting everyone into boxes. More like men don't apply for daycare positions because the pay is crap, no status because it is socially seen as "women's work".
    In Tikkop's black-and-white world, only women can be nurturers, and only men can be abusers.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    As for facts, well those are technically derived from opinion as well.

  15. #45

    Default

    I think this should be less about the correctness of his empirical assertions and more to do with the fact he got fired for them. From the quick glance at the media who broke the story and the blog arguments against his piece; it seems as though once again something has been blown completely out of proportion and the original author baselessly misconstrued. My reading of his piece does not strike me as a fireable offence. The entire tone of it is one of reasonableness and not one of 'attacking diversity' (even though he goes to pains to express his agreement with the idea).

    Basically a giant strawman has been constructed to beat him down with and subsequently get him fired; and I think thats wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No gender pay gap at Google
    By Kevin Lancaster in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 05:35 PM
  2. Australia abolishes divisive carbon tax
    By LazyLion in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-07-2014, 01:36 PM
  3. Gender differences in brains
    By DerpiesFreud in forum Natural Sciences
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-09-2013, 09:17 AM
  4. Forums favourite author and best book by that author
    By IP_intheshower in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM
  5. Minister slams 'divisive whites'
    By Hoof-Hearted in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 20-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •