Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 623

Thread: Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences

  1. #481
    Super Grandmaster Xarog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    I barely recognised Peterson, he seriously sorted himself out.
    The benefits of going on an elimination diet. He has the same sort of food allergies as his daughter, it turns out.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #482
    Super Grandmaster konfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Watership Down
    Posts
    15,883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C4Cat View Post
    Perhaps you're correct that his evidence is credible but I'm equally correct that it's unclear and debatable.
    https://qz.com/1057494/the-biggest-m...ale-or-female/
    You are giving a strawman argument. No one has made the argument about male and female brains. From the memo:
    Name:  Damore-Graph-II-500x392.png
Views: 125
Size:  79.2 KB
    Ironically, the only people who think there is a difference in male and female brains are the trans people who people on the left vehemently think are being completely normal.

    The argument is not that men and women's brains are completely different. As you can see there are substantial overlaps in these two distributions, thus trying to discriminate between the two becomes statistically impossible for an individual.

    So if I give you a graph that tells you that woman have a higher degree of agreeableness than men:
    Name:  fpsyg-02-00178-g010.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.7 KB
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...011.00178/full

    The probability of woman being more agreeable than men is merely that a probability. So on an individual level, you can't tell, which is why discriminating against people is wrong.

  3. #483
    Super Grandmaster Xarog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    You are giving a strawman argument. No one has made the argument about male and female brains. From the memo:
    Name:  Damore-Graph-II-500x392.png
Views: 125
Size:  79.2 KB
    Ironically, the only people who think there is a difference in male and female brains are the trans people who people on the left vehemently think are being completely normal.

    The argument is not that men and women's brains are completely different. As you can see there are substantial overlaps in these two distributions, thus trying to discriminate between the two becomes statistically impossible for an individual.

    So if I give you a graph that tells you that woman have a higher degree of agreeableness than men:
    Name:  fpsyg-02-00178-g010.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.7 KB
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...011.00178/full

    The probability of woman being more agreeable than men is merely that a probability. So on an individual level, you can't tell, which is why discriminating against people is wrong.
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-...dden.html#nRlv
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...p-8978248.html

    It's pretty obvious that men and women experience different worlds.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

  4. #484
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    You are giving a strawman argument. No one has made the argument about male and female brains. From the memo:
    Name:  Damore-Graph-II-500x392.png
Views: 125
Size:  79.2 KB
    Ironically, the only people who think there is a difference in male and female brains are the trans people who people on the left vehemently think are being completely normal.

    The argument is not that men and women's brains are completely different. As you can see there are substantial overlaps in these two distributions, thus trying to discriminate between the two becomes statistically impossible for an individual.

    So if I give you a graph that tells you that woman have a higher degree of agreeableness than men:
    Name:  fpsyg-02-00178-g010.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.7 KB
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...011.00178/full

    The probability of woman being more agreeable than men is merely that a probability. So on an individual level, you can't tell, which is why discriminating against people is wrong.
    The question is why is there the probability of women being more agreeable than men? Is it biological, as Damore suggested, or is it social and cultural?
    LBRY is a free, open, and community-run digital marketplace.

  5. #485
    Super Grandmaster Xarog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C4Cat View Post
    The question is why is there the probability of women being more agreeable than men? Is it biological, as Damore suggested, or is it social and cultural?
    It appears reliably in every single culture across the planet.

    https://link.springer.com/article/10...508-008-9380-7
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

  6. #486
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,114
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    It appears reliably in every single culture across the planet.

    https://link.springer.com/article/10...508-008-9380-7
    Natural selection discriminates... SJWs will ban the teaching of it in class.

  7. #487
    Super Grandmaster Xarog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techne View Post
    Natural selection discriminates... SJWs will ban the teaching of it in class.


    How dare you slander gender studies you dirty biological essentialist!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

  8. #488
    Super Grandmaster konfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Watership Down
    Posts
    15,883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C4Cat View Post
    The question is why is there the probability of women being more agreeable than men? Is it biological, as Damore suggested, or is it social and cultural?
    There is pretty good evidence of there being biological influences:
    We used a new theory of the biological basis of the Big Five personality traits to generate hypotheses about the association of each trait with the volume of different brain regions. Controlling for age, sex, and whole-brain volume, results from structural magnetic resonance imaging of 116 healthy adults supported our hypotheses for four of the five traits: Extraversion, Neuroticism, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness. Extraversion covaried with volume of medial orbitofrontal cortex, a brain region involved in processing reward information. Neuroticism covaried with volume of brain regions associated with threat, punishment, and negative affect. Agreeableness covaried with volume in regions that process information about the intentions and mental states of other individuals. Conscientiousness covaried with volume in lateral prefrontal cortex, a region involved in planning and the voluntary control of behavior. These findings support our biologically based, explanatory model of the Big Five and demonstrate the potential of personality neuroscience (i.e., the systematic study of individual differences in personality using neuroscience methods) as a discipline.
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/...56797610370159

    Can you rule out social influences? I don't think so. However the problem is you don't know what the total contribution of social differences are.

    As a side note, agreeableness is one of the things that is actually has been attributed to things like the milgram experiment(which is an experiment testing the obedience to authority).
    Results confirmed hypotheses that Conscientiousness and Agreeableness would be associated with willingness to administer higher-intensity electric shocks to a victim. Political orientation and social activism were also related to obedience. Our results provide empirical evidence suggesting that individual differences in personality and political variables matter in the explanation of obedience to authority.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ience+caused+.

    The really interesting thing is that the the personality traits of political positions like liberal and conservative put the conscientiousness and agreeableness traits on opposite end of the spectrum.

  9. #489
    Super Grandmaster konfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Watership Down
    Posts
    15,883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    It appears reliably in every single culture across the planet.

    https://link.springer.com/article/10...508-008-9380-7
    The answer to that is that all societies are sexist. You need a good biological argument to counter that.

  10. #490
    Super Grandmaster Xarog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    The really interesting thing is that the the personality traits of political positions like liberal and conservative put the conscientiousness and agreeableness traits on opposite end of the spectrum.
    You can combine the Jungian type functions with the big-5 traits like so:

    STJ -> Left hemisphere
    NFP -> Right hemisphere

    SJ -> Conscientiousness
    SP -> Extroversion
    NT -> Openness
    NF -> Agreeableness

    STJ -> Industriousness
    SFJ -> Orderliness
    STP -> Assertiveness
    SFP -> Enthusiasm
    NTJ -> Intellect
    NTP -> Openness(facet)
    NFJ -> Politeness
    NFP -> Compassion

    http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/overview_temperaments.asp

    Each trait has its own morality because each trait has its own way of acting in the world and each trait has its own strategy to maximise effectiveness. Conscientiousness and Agreeableness are both noted in the literature as being confined primarily to the left and right hemispheres respectively. Extroversion and Openness, on the other hand make use of both hemispheres at the same time. For some reason, the cross hemispheric behaviours tend to be more individualistic, and the hemisphere pure traits tend to be more communalistic.

    Conscientiousness = Conservative
    Extroversion = Libertarian
    Openness = Liberal (in the non-bastardised sense)
    Agreeableness = Progressive

    Finally, Nietzsche's slave and master moralities are better regarded as the prey(reactive) and predator(active) moralities, which is to say that Nietzsche actually did a brilliant job of capturing the way the two hemispheres look at the world and think about it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

  11. #491
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    James Damore on the Joe Rogan Experience.

    just because a stripper smiles at you does not mean she wants to marry you - Piesank

  12. #492
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    61,270
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarls View Post
    James Damore on the Joe Rogan Experience.

    /snip
    That guy just reeks of toxic masculinity. Aggressive misogyny you could spot a mile way

  13. #493
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    14,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That guy just reeks of toxic masculinity. Aggressive misogyny you could spot a mile way
    I'm triggered by that statement. I demand you remove it from the Internet.

  14. #494
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That guy just reeks of toxic masculinity. Aggressive misogyny you could spot a mile way
    Even without watching the video or listening to what he has to say. Wizards I tell you!

    just because a stripper smiles at you does not mean she wants to marry you - Piesank

  15. #495
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    61,270
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I'm triggered by that statement. I demand you remove it from the Internet.
    /offers contrived tearful apology

    /banks virtue points.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No gender pay gap at Google
    By Kevin Lancaster in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 05:35 PM
  2. Australia abolishes divisive carbon tax
    By LazyLion in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-07-2014, 01:36 PM
  3. Gender differences in brains
    By DerpiesFreud in forum Natural Sciences
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-09-2013, 09:17 AM
  4. Forums favourite author and best book by that author
    By IP_intheshower in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM
  5. Minister slams 'divisive whites'
    By Hoof-Hearted in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 20-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •