Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best approach to extend wifi between 2 apartments

Default Best approach to extend wifi between 2 apartments

Hi All

Really hoping one of you clever folk can help me out.

My parents and brother are currently living in 2 different apartments in the same block of flats.
    The flats are separated by 1 other flat and on the floor above.
    ie, flat 1 is 101 on the first floor, and second flat is 203 (second floor).

1 of the flats currently has a Fibre connection and therefore it makes sense to share the connection if possible, rather than paying an extra +-800pm for another fibre connection.

At the moment the wifi signal does not reach the 2nd flat.
    How can we best extend the wifi range, bearing in mind we don't have access to the flat in between.

They would be happy to purchase an expensive router/range extender as this would still be much cheaper in the long run.

Thanks alot!!

What are the rules on mounting devices to the wall outside ? You could probably get away with two slim APs stuck to the outside wall on a common face both flats share.

Otherwise if you are lucky both flats will be on the same grid phase and you can hook up some Ethernet Over Powerline adapters in each flat - just be sure you get a set with encryption and re-pair them away from factory settings, otherwise a neighbour might steal your internets and you'll never know

Quote Originally Posted by agentrfr View Post
    What are the rules on mounting devices to the wall outside ? You could probably get away with two slim APs stuck to the outside wall on a common face both flats share.

Otherwise if you are lucky both flats will be on the same grid phase and you can hook up some Ethernet Over Powerline adapters in each flat - just be sure you get a set with encryption and re-pair them away from factory settings, otherwise a neighbour might steal your internets and you'll never know
    Sounds complicated....was hoping to simply extend the signal with a serious range extender
    @[email protected]@$$ why should it be illegal? its not being used without permission?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]@$$ View Post
    Illegal
    Why is that?
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Illegal
    5Ghz is public, and they would not be crossing a road (which is, if memory serves, actually also not really relevant)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark051 View Post
    Sounds complicated....was hoping to simply extend the signal with a serious range extender
    If you're going to set up internet for a whole flat, rather do it properly and not have intermittent issues in the future

There's nothing worse than not being able to watch a YouTube clip solely because of dodgey Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by rubber_otter View Post
    5Ghz is public, and they would not be crossing a road (which is, if memory serves, actually also not really relevant)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
    Why is that?
    Intentionally broadcasting a wireless signal across your boundary/property border you'll need a ICASA license. Not to mention that it is most likely a breach in your ISP Ts & Cs.

It's like sharing your DSTV with your neighbors using extra view? So then 2 or 3 or how many households just share the cost of the premium package?

Intentionally broadcasting a wireless signal across your boundary/property border you'll need a ICASA license. Not to mention that it is most likely a breach in your ISP Ts & Cs.

It's like sharing your DSTV with your neighbors using extra view? So then 2 or 3 or how many households just share the cost of the premium package?
    He is not going to be broadcasting across boundary/property borders. Did you read the OP?

Also, downloading torrents is also against their T's and C's. But you all do it anyways. What the ISP does not know won't hurt them. @Mark051 lemme know if you need help with the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber_otter View Post
    He is not going to be broadcasting across boundary/property borders. Did you read the OP?

Also, downloading torrents is also against their T's and C's. But you all do it anyways. What the ISP does not know won't hurt them. @Mark051 lemme know if you need help with the setup.
    I did read it that's why I said you are not allowed to do that. He is clearly broadcasting beyond his own property. The whole building doesn't belong to him. And FYI, downloading torrents is not against any ISP's Terms.

What I was suggesting by my original post is that he should be careful asking for such information on a public place like here where we do have the presence of many providers.

I did read it that's why I said you are not allowed to do that. He is clearly broadcasting beyond his own property. The whole building doesn't belong to him. And FYI, downloading torrents is not against any ISP's Terms.

What I was suggesting by my original post is that he should be careful asking for such information on a public place like here where we do have the presence of many providers.
    Just to be clear, I'm not looking to be doing anything illegal.
    If that is the case, I will not be looking at this approach.

+ Reply to Thread