Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goedemoed & The Crest, Durbanville trenching (Vuma + Octo)

Default Goedemoed & The Crest, Durbanville trenching (Vuma + Octo)

So Vumatel and Octotel are both installing fibre right now in my area.

Heard from a friend that lives nearby that Vumatel trenched through his driveway and closed up and that Octotel was going to also have to trench again.

So I asked Octotel why they don't work with Vumatel and just simultaneously install fibre and maybe even share trenching costs.

According to Octotel rep I spoke to this morning they approached Vumatel multiple times but Vuma refuses to share their trenching work

Is there a Vumatel rep on here that can confirm this? If so why do you do this, would it not make sense to share costs where possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver.ZA View Post
    Heard from a friend that lives nearby that Vumatel trenched through his driveway and closed up and that Octotel was going to also have to trench again.

So I asked Octotel why they don't work with Vumatel and just simultaneously install fibre and maybe even share trenching costs.
    I made an order with Afrihost to use Octotel. Vumatel now trenching in our area here in Sontraal Heights. If this is true, then Octotel hasn't even started... Did mention 6 week installation though, on week 4.5 now.

@AfriFella can you please confirm on the above?

The operators will blame each other if there is a fibre break and it gets messy...
    "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum" - When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow - TP

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob1979 View Post
    The operators will blame each other if there is a fibre break and it gets messy...
    Yeah but don't they have to retrench exactly where Vuma dug up and closed? Which will in any case possibly cause breakage when re-opened?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedBar0n View Post
    Yeah but don't they have to retrench exactly where Vuma dug up and closed? Which will in any case possibly cause breakage when re-opened?
    Not very often they will need to dig anything up, the fibre is in ducting so they can always thread more in, and Vumatel sends two strands to each house, so they can switch over to the 2nd strand if the 1st fails.

People in Pascali street already got their gardens dug up twice, not happy campers at all, Octotel dug far back in the gardens and Vumatel close the the curb. Not sure it's allowed to dug through where Octotel did, is it not supposed to be within 2m from the curb or something?

Im exactly in the situation, vumatel is currenly busy trenching in my road as I am typing this.
    Octotel might start next month with their own trenching.
    There goes the driveway again
    Not sure if my question will help: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...Fibre-Question
    Last edited by Hein69; 24-08-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Hein69 View Post
    Im exactly in the situation, vumatel is currenly busy trenching in my road as I am typing this.
    Octotel might start next month with their own trenching.
    There goes the driveway again
    Just get each provider to trench over a different part of the driveway. Free driveway upgrade. You're Welcome.

In all seriousness, this is great for the area and our pockets. Having the option of 3 providers to manage your line would at the very least ensure that pricing will remain competitive... Oh wait this is ZA, they probably all have price fixing agreements in place

Quote Originally Posted by Sopbeen View Post
    Just get each provider to trench over a different part of the driveway. Free driveway upgrade. You're Welcome.

In all seriousness, this is great for the area and our pockets. Having the option of 3 providers to manage your line would at the very least ensure that pricing will remain competitive... Oh wait this is ZA, they probably all have price fixing agreements in place
    Guess I will have to do that
    I agree, it is great for the area! Sadly at this stage prices between them are pretty much the same from a 20mb line.
    At this stage I will choose vuma, since they made it to my house first
    \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Hein69 View Post
    Guess I will have to do that
    I agree, it is great for the area! Sadly at this stage prices between them are pretty much the same from a 20mb line.
    At this stage I will choose vuma, since they made it to my house first
    I'll patiently wait it out on OpenServe until all is done... Want to see if Octo/Vuma try to bribe me with a good deal.

Anybody up and running with Vumatel in Sontraal Heights\Goedemoed yet? Vumatel laid fibre yesterday in front of our townhouse complex, so waiting patiently for that phone call for installation

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedBar0n View Post
    Anybody up and running with Vumatel in Sontraal Heights\Goedemoed yet? Vumatel laid fibre yesterday in front of our townhouse complex, so waiting patiently for that phone call for installation
    Going to be a few more weeks before they start connecting people

Anybody up and running in Sonstraal Heights area?

Fibre is now laid in our area and in front of my house, and according to WA and AH, Vumatel is live. Got an installation date which was this past Tuesday, but got cancelled. A few phone calls later, confirmed with Vuma they are live, but no new install scheduled.

Yes, mine went live last night, in Piscali street.
    Might have chosen the wrong ISP as my international speeds are far worse than my 4Mb adsl line (

If you can wait for Octotel, that is if you want 10Mb option, ISP's charge the same for the 10Mb package where on Vumatel you get 4Mb for the same price

But 20Mb packages and up are the same price so if that is the case just go with Vumatel

Octotel still busy trenching

Phone them to schedule install, friend got his installed this morning, he is in Goedemoed/The Crest area

I did not want to pay more than I did for 4Mb ADSL, so choose the 4Mb line. Seems I should have stayed on ADSL rather. Yes, I am cheapskate lol. Only me in the house so no real need for more but would have liked 10Mb from Octotel for same price I am now paying for 4Mb

Local Speedtest 4.18Mbps down and 0.93Mbps up
    International, 2.01Mbps max down and 0.91Mbps up, that is the max I got, mostly 1.2Mbps down international, can't even stream youtube now, ISP is Rocketnet

Did log a call with them but still need to send screenshots of the speedtests, so hopefully something that can be sorted
    Last edited by irBosOtter; 06-10-2017 at 11:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast