Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Massive Power outage in Johannesburg due to stolen cables

  1. #1
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Massive Power outage in Johannesburg due to stolen cables

    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...power&src=tyah

    Power went out on Sunday some time.

    1/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Following the burning of cables in the tunnel by cable thieves, it is still toxic with fumes, thus inaccessible for techs

    2/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Environmental inspectors have been requested to do assessment of the tunnel today.

    3/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Affected areas include the ff streets: Jeppe,Plein,Pritchard,President, A.Sisulu,Bree,Durban str,Marshaltown,Karzene.

    4/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Tests will be conducted on the 88KV line from Prospect. If the line is not faulty 25% of the areas will be restored.

    5/6 #JhbCBDOutage:Pressure tests will be conducted on the oil cables today. If the tests are good a further 10% of the areas may be restored

    6/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Rest of the areas will be restored once accessed the tunnel to remove,replace & repair all damaged cables and loadcentres

    Technicians are still on site, multiple transformers are off.

    City Power says the tunnels are now filled with toxic fumes and smoke making them inaccessible for technicians.

    City Power: We have requested environmental experts to assess the situation and determine if it is safe to enter the tunnels.

    When the environmental assessment is concluded technicians will start the repair process.

    City Power's Sol Masolo, large chunks of the city affected by power outage due to fire damage
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    This is hot off the press - no news sites have even responded to the shocking news yet.
    Seriously - when are the authorities going to get serious about cable theft and metal thieves. So much metal has been stolen especially in the CBD, I am surprised the M1, M2 and some of the buildings haven't collapsed like the old power station in Soweto.
    Q: Where will I go after I die?
    A: Onto a backup tape.
    source

  4. #4
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electron1 View Post
    This is hot off the press - no news sites have even responded to the shocking news yet.
    Seriously - when are the authorities going to get serious about cable theft and metal thieves. So much metal has been stolen especially in the CBD, I am surprised the M1, M2 and some of the buildings haven't collapsed like the old power station in Soweto.
    It's actually a huge area, but it doesn't include Sandton - so no front page news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

  5. #5

    Default

    Anyone know if Empire road / WITS is impacted?

  6. #6
    SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Talga Vassternich.
    Posts
    13,974
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Traffic nightmare?
    Time is almost at an end.

  7. #7
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Traffic nightmare?
    No fortunately the Eastern side of the CBD doesn't cover any major highways.
    Really just Joe Slove and Commissioner Street.
    We'll see what that is like at rush hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

  8. #8
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    Anyone know if Empire road / WITS is impacted?
    I don't think so - but that section of the M1 is already impacted because of ongoing road works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyLion View Post
    It's actually a huge area, but it doesn't include Sandton - so no front page news.
    Exactly as you say - clearly not newsworthy.
    Unbelievable.

    Tweeted 6 hours ago by City Power themselves (as quoted by LazyLion) and not making news.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Electron1; 04-09-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Q: Where will I go after I die?
    A: Onto a backup tape.
    source

  10. #10

  11. #11

    Default

    What tunnels are they talking about?
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  12. #12

    Default

    I'm guessing there are some service tunnels that high voltage supply cables run through?

  13. #13
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    What tunnels are they talking about?
    These particular tunnels run all the way down Anderson Street. They had all the manhole covers off today and the road cordoned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm guessing cost to repair is 100x value of the copper stolen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

  15. #15
    King of de Jungle LazyLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    97,540
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    I'm guessing cost to repair is 100x value of the copper stolen?
    And that doesn't include lost profit from all the businesses affected as well as damaged equipment from power surges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Big power outage for Johannesburg The details
    By Newsfeed in forum Eskom and Electricity: Load Shedding, Generators, UPS, Alternative Power
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21-07-2017, 10:42 PM
  2. Power Outage in Illovo, Johannesburg
    By Jola in forum Eskom and Electricity: Load Shedding, Generators, UPS, Alternative Power
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-03-2017, 09:04 AM
  3. Massive power outage in the Netherlands
    By Sinbad in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 27-03-2015, 05:31 PM
  4. Article: Johannesburg power outage
    By rpm in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
  5. Power cables STOLEN a 2nd time!!!!
    By Jester01 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •