Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eskom "squashes" independent power producers

Default Eskom "squashes" independent power producers

Eskom "squashes" independent power producers

Energy minister Mmamoloko Kubayi has left the private power industry reeling by announcing new tariff requirements.

The Government of South Africa has announced that Eskom must sign the power purchase agreements (PPAs) for 26 IPP projects by the end of October.

The energy minister opened the window for the signing of the contracts setting the tariff cap at 77 cents per KWh. Eskom refused to sign the agreements in 2016, because it said it had an over supply of electricity and the current prices were unaffordable for the company.

This price point could be challenging for some projects due to currency, inflation and equipment changes since the projects were procured. The 77c/kWh would apply to all the technologies procured during bid windows 3.5 and 4 of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPPP), including the 100 MW Redstone Solar Thermal Power project.

In August 2016, we informed that Eskom postponed the PPA that was supposed to signed for the Redstone project with a total investment of ZAR8 billion (US$691.8 million). It is unclear how the 100 MW Redstone CSP project could meet the cap, which is below any tariff bid for a CSP project domestically or internationally.

Photovoltaic and wind technology will also struggle to meet the price given turbine technology changes since 2015, the closure of local manufacturing capacity and escalation in both construction and grid-connection costs.

According to sources, the Energy ministry said that the decision to sign was binding on Eskom, which should ensure all contracts are in place for signing on 28 October 2017.The combined price of all the delayed projects represent a value of US$4.5 billion.
    http://www.ippjournal.com/news/ippto...end-of-october

77c /KWhr is going to be hard to meet for non Solar PV / Wind. CSP is nowhere near that price point.
    New Solar will easily meet that point, but its going to be hard to get companies to build in South Africa if the government reneges on their contracts like they just have.
    http://goingsolar.co.za - My Solar Blog

In the Northern Cape, every single power plant got a n cANCer person as a director.

I wonder if she was told from above to make this decision, or did she use her very own brain cell.

Super Grandmaster

Let's guess, force IPPs into liquidation for Gupta's to buy at 10c on the rand. Following shortly by Eskom signing with Gupta's for the same projects at inflated prices.
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Quote Originally Posted by reactor_sa View Post
    Let's guess, force IPPs into liquidation for Gupta's to buy at 10c on the rand. Following shortly by Eskom signing with Gupta's for the same projects at inflated prices.
    Sounds like the plan.

So I take it the dodgy nuclear is going ahead then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    So I take it the dodgy nuclear is going ahead then?
    Probably and at 277c/kWh :-(

If Eiskom only pay 77c/kWh, why consumer paying 140c/kWh?

Quote Originally Posted by system32 View Post
    Probably and at 277c/kWh :-(

If Eiskom only pay 77c/kWh, why consumer paying 140c/kWh?
    Transmission costs, infrastructure, maintenance, salaries etc play a part in that, as does corruption.

The major cost of course is the one I haven't mentioned - interest on debt. Interest payments last year on debt were 14billion. Thats not debt repayment, thats _just the interest due_ on the debt (which is in the 400billion or so range).

https://mg.co.za/article/2017-07-21-...ntrol-at-eskom
    https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ot-from-eskom/

Eskom has a mixed bag of energy provisioning - some is cheaper, some is more expensive (i.e. gas turbines run as diesel turbines).
    Their major cost at the moment seems to be debt payments, which are increasing rather rapidly - they know they're in trouble.

A shrinking economy due to the stunningly inept ANC governance, coupled with overwhelming corruption, nepotism, and what looks like 20 years of no maintenance at Eskom has turned a once proud SoE into something that likely won't last 20 years longer.

South Africa will be just another failed state soon enough.
    http://goingsolar.co.za - My Solar Blog

Why am I not surprised.

People go and invest Billions (including foreign investors who were hoping to make some profit in SA) just to get forked by the state monopoly yet again.

Nothing new under the African sun.

ESKOM recently got approval for the ZAR60Bn they want from you the consumer - why would they allow the private competition to sell you electricity for less than ESKOM can.

public-private partnership nipped in the bud again.
    Last edited by DeSLAM; 11-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread