Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Telkom VDSL - Full speed local, terrible download international

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggles View Post
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel (I hope everyone gets to the end of the tunnel soon!).

We were informed yesterday that Telkom was performing some area maintenance, and our line went down for about 2 hours. There is still maintenance going on in the area, but when our line was restored yesterday, the problem with international performance seemed to have been fixed.

As a treat, we finally decided to upgrade our ADSL line from 2mbps to 4mbps.... which has been activated this morning - I know some of you are on 20mbps lines, but wow! What an upgrade for me!!

Just in time for Guild Wars 2 PoF.
    That's good to hear! Also it increases my suspicion that the issue is line related and not ISP related. Lots of people automatically assume that if it's working well local and NOT international then it must be an ISP issue, but it seems somehow line issues can have an effect.

After also getting my Telkom SMS to say that something has changed in the area things have improved. Getting 10mb international. Usenet is now sitting at 600kb/s which is alot faster but still less than than the 1Mb/s I used to get on my 10mb line.

If local speeds are fine, this can't be access layer related.

Try using a different speed test host or discuss the poor international speeds with the ISP.

Thanks but went over this in the thread. Tried multiple ISP's including Telkom's own test accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by boerinbeton View Post
    If local speeds are fine, this can't be access layer related.

Try using a different speed test host or discuss the poor international speeds with the ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Thanks but went over this in the thread. Tried multiple ISP's including Telkom's own test accounts.
    It's an exceptionally confusing issue. I only started experiencing it when my exchange picked up a fault, after the fault was resolved, my stats looked good but I was experiencing CRC errors (errors due to noise). Last week I got them to drop me down to 18mbps and guess what? Much better performance internationally, except after a while it craps out and international is slow again, which is fixed by resetting the router.

Another guy in a different thread suggested it could be backhaul related (The undersea cable) but that's very difficult to test and my question is why did performance improve once I dropped the line speed?

Also interestingly I've done multiple MTR tests to different international servers on the ubuntu terminal and those tests show that there's no packet loss or bad pings, the issue seems to just be slow speeds to international servers.

Well guys I'm pretty much done with DSL...I'm canceling my tel. Line and moving to LTE. I'm joining there promo for 750PM and i get 200GB. A techie did a speed test and i got 31Meg down and 20 up with a decent ping. No wiring or any copper crap. U guys should check it out. I'm getting an external antenna installed next month which should boost my signal even more. I'm about 1.2km away from the tower

Quote Originally Posted by WaRLoRd ZA View Post
    Well guys I'm pretty much done with DSL...I'm canceling my tel. Line and moving to LTE. I'm joining there promo for 750PM and i get 200GB. A techie did a speed test and i got 31Meg down and 20 up with a decent ping. No wiring or any copper crap. U guys should check it out. I'm getting an external antenna installed next month which should boost my signal even more. I'm about 1.2km away from the tower
    LTE is fine if you're in that kind of usage bracket, my issue is I average between 350-500gb usage pm, depending on how much of stuff I stream and what new games are out on PS4, LTE is still no where near as competitive in that usage bracket and switching over would cost me at least R500 more.

I get that...i only went LTE cos of the promo and the high upload i get. I mainly stream. But they do have 400GB for a 1000 bucks. So it's not terrible. And LTE A is rolling out all over now. I'm just sick of line faults and having to pay line rental for a phone i don't use.

Hi WaRLorRd ZA. Sorry, but I can’t find your LTE 200GB promo for R750 a month. Could you give a link? All I see is Telkom’s LTE 200GB for R1699 per month.

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/sh...-gb-variation/

It's a promo called double data beesboertjie. It's the same 749 50GB + 50GB package. Only if u sign up or within OCT. U get 100GB + 100GB

Quote Originally Posted by WaRLoRd ZA View Post
    That's the one haha
    Your quest for Telkom antenna sites... there are 4 around you.

Name:  Scan_1923.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  189.7 KB

Thanks bud. Look's like I'll be on my roof this afternoon
    Last edited by WaRLoRd ZA; 12-10-2017 at 10:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123