Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Download sync speed still 10Mbs instead of 20Mbs. Or not?

Default Download sync speed still 10Mbs instead of 20Mbs. Or not?

Two weeks ago I changed my Afrihost bundled package from 8Mbs to 20Mbs. My effective speed has still not changes, despite an annoying call with support in Friday, and numerous modem powerdown/wait/powerup cycles. Here's what I don't get. My ASUS modem says the download speed is 19042 and upload speed is 1021. Then I run the Afrihost line check and it says the download sync speed is 10Mbs. Anyone know why the two figures differ and the reason?

By the way, the Afrihost package was changed the same day and reflects 20Mbs and I was probably charged the upgrade from that date.

I have attached a file with relevant screenshot snippets here: Name:  AH speed prob.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.1 KB

Thanks for any advice.
    Alan.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Post your line stats here.

If ASSIA picks up noise on your line, it will adjust until it is stable and that can take days i would guess.

How did you know you can now get upto 20Mbps ?
    unofficial mybroadband Telegram 5000 group challenge. Dare to enter the crazy?? Details [thread] to be coming soon...

"How did you know you can now get upto 20Mbps ?"

We have VDSL in the area, and confirmed by the coverage map. The router seems to suggest that it's getting a 20mbs connection. I suspect the link is being throttled by Afrihost as per my previous package.

Quote Originally Posted by alan101 View Post
    Two weeks ago I changed my Afrihost bundled package from 8Mbs to 20Mbs. My effective speed has still not changes, despite an annoying call with support in Friday, and numerous modem powerdown/wait/powerup cycles. Here's what I don't get. My ASUS modem says the download speed is 19042 and upload speed is 1021. Then I run the Afrihost line check and it says the download sync speed is 10Mbs. Anyone know why the two figures differ and the reason?

By the way, the Afrihost package was changed the same day and reflects 20Mbs and I was probably charged the upgrade from that date.

I have attached a file with relevant screenshot snippets here: Name:  AH speed prob.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.1 KB

Thanks for any advice.
    Alan.
    Heya Alan. There is actually quote a simple explanation here. The Openserve API that works with ClientZone sometimes has trouble displaying VDSL values or values higher than 10Mbps. This is something our develops are aware of and is working with Openserve to get it resolved. If you don't trust the values your router is displaying, drop me a PM with your line number and I'll run a quick interrogation on your line.
    "And that's why you always leave a note..."

"How did you know you can now get upto 20Mbps ?"

We have VDSL in the area, and confirmed by the coverage map. The router seems to suggest that it's getting a 20mbs connection. I suspect the link is being throttled by Afrihost as per my previous package.
    Definitely not a symptom of throttling. It's important to note that the line interrogation in ClientZone is not a speedtest.
    "And that's why you always leave a note..."

I've done some googling. My modem is ADSL2. If the exchange is set to VDSL, that might be the problem. Since I want only 20mbs, ADSL2+ is fine and the modem can handle it. Thoughts?

Router is always right when it comes to sync rate.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

Update: I'm not sure what changed, but now my speed test shows 15mbs. I'm happy with that. Thanks AH.

I've done some googling. My modem is ADSL2. If the exchange is set to VDSL, that might be the problem. Since I want only 20mbs, ADSL2+ is fine and the modem can handle it. Thoughts?
    If they switched you to VDSL then your line would just be dead as your modem can't talk to it.

ADSL2+ is fine and I'm sure your modem would support it unless it's truly ancient.

What does the modem sync say?

Update: I'm not sure what changed, but now my speed test shows 15mbs. I'm happy with that. Thanks AH.
    15Mbps is the temporary sync profile before you get changed to full 20Mbps.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
    15Mbps is the temporary sync profile before you get changed to full 20Mbps.
    Why is that nec? Do the electrons on his line have to be 'conditioned' to move faster or what?

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. The only explanation is that various internal systems (Afrihost) take time to synchronize with each other.

The modem will do exactly what the line equipment is set to and that is why the line synch rate is the one to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    Why is that nec? Do the electrons on his line have to be 'conditioned' to move faster or what?

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. The only explanation is that various internal systems (Afrihost) take time to synchronize with each other.

The modem will do exactly what the line equipment is set to and that is why the line synch rate is the one to believe.
    I didn't read the thread at all, all I know is when I switched from 20Mbps ADSL2+ to VDSL my router sync changed to 15Mbps and then within the next hour or so it changed to 20Mbps VDSL.

Edit: Just read some of the thread, looks like his modem is only ADSL so around 15Mbps on speed test is not unheard of.

Super Grandmaster

In the first post the picture shows that it is ADSL2+.
    Post 6 confirms it is ADSL2.

And the line synchs at about 20 Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    In the first post the picture shows that it is ADSL2+.
    Post 6 confirms it is ADSL2.

And the line synchs at about 20 Mbps.
    How are your speeds looking at the moment?
    "Great Scott!"

+ Reply to Thread