Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAIN with Afrihost problems

Default RAIN with Afrihost problems

I've been having problems getting support for my RAIN connection with Afrihost since I signed up last month.

On Friday, I started getting IPs from the network starting with 197. instead of the 10.88.x.x that I got before, and along with that my connection stopped working. Afrihost seems stumped by it.

Additionally, I got an email a few minutes ago stating that I only have 27GB left on my account (which is odd considering that I had over 50GB left when my connection stopped working). So I immediately logged into the client zone to see that my available bandwidth is down all the way to 0 (and it's allegedly used today, which is unlikely considering that no one can be using that connection right now).

All this downtime and confusion is really just not worth it, I strongly advice anyone who's looking into RAIN to avoid Afrihost, it's a pity they're still making you buy a router in order to change provide. Anyone know if there's any consumer protection for this? We do have number porting after all, it would be great if that would cover these cases as well.
    Attached Images  

I agree with you 100% avoid afrihost at all costs with rain. I can't get my issue resolved despite getting a manager involved. https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ving-data-left

I was capped at 110gb because rain has me on the 55+55 despite afrihost having me on 220+220 which I paid for. I was forced to buy 5gb top up so I could have internet. Now my balance is saying I've used 126 gbs when the max I could have used is 110+ 5 . Not sure who to change to though as every isp on hellopeter is just as badly rated. Can't get hold of the manager who promised to assist and call me back. I've left messages and emails. I had better service when I was with telkom. Avoid them .

Can confirm avoid LTE from Afrihost no joy just problems. Lost 320 gig of data and was cut off. Complain at icasa and consumer council.

You can write to Icasa to complain about the poor service and theft of data. Considering this is a new contract, in light of the defective performance, you should write to Afrihost and cancel the contract with the return of everything you have paid.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I've been having problems getting support for my RAIN connection with Afrihost since I signed up last month.

On Friday, I started getting IPs from the network starting with 197. instead of the 10.88.x.x that I got before, and along with that my connection stopped working. Afrihost seems stumped by it.

Additionally, I got an email a few minutes ago stating that I only have 27GB left on my account (which is odd considering that I had over 50GB left when my connection stopped working). So I immediately logged into the client zone to see that my available bandwidth is down all the way to 0 (and it's allegedly used today, which is unlikely considering that no one can be using that connection right now).

All this downtime and confusion is really just not worth it, I strongly advice anyone who's looking into RAIN to avoid Afrihost, it's a pity they're still making you buy a router in order to change provide. Anyone know if there's any consumer protection for this? We do have number porting after all, it would be great if that would cover these cases as well.
    Hi highvoltage. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing with the Rain network. We use a carrier grade NAT system that will assign IPs from different ranges. This is definitely not linked to any general downtime issues or usage disputes.

With regards to your usage query, our development tam is still ironing out some kinks between ClientZone and the suppliers on the Rain network which may result in some display issues, but I can assure you that all data links are still there and will not go missing even when the display in ClientZone displays a bug. Happy to confirm this with you and confirm how much data you actually have assigned on your account if you drop me a PM with your account info.
    "And that's why you always leave a note..."

it looks like many ppl are complaining about data volume calculations. who has made this ?

highvoltage, are you sure no one hacked ur wifi (or maybe you just forgot ur downloads on or cellphone updates / ipad updates)

Data on LTE-A fly's very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    highvoltage, are you sure no one hacked ur wifi (or maybe you just forgot ur downloads on or cellphone updates / ipad updates)

Data on LTE-A fly's very quick.
    Yes, I'm sure. I run this connection on a Mikrotik that passes it on to my network gateway where all traffic is monitored using bandwidthd. I know how much Internet traffic every host on my network uses.

Quote Originally Posted by AfriFella View Post
    Hi highvoltage. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing with the Rain network. We use a carrier grade NAT system that will assign IPs from different ranges. This is definitely not linked to any general downtime issues or usage disputes.

With regards to your usage query, our development tam is still ironing out some kinks between ClientZone and the suppliers on the Rain network which may result in some display issues, but I can assure you that all data links are still there and will not go missing even when the display in ClientZone displays a bug. Happy to confirm this with you and confirm how much data you actually have assigned on your account if you drop me a PM with your account info.
    I loaded another 10GB yesterday and 4GB was gone already only my router only transferred 20MB. Is this spillover from my previous overage? Or just part of the miscalculation?

On an unrelated topic, is there an APN I can use that gives me a public IP, or is there another way I can route back to my home connection from the outside? If not, then this is really something you should warn about when marketing this product.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I loaded another 10GB yesterday and 4GB was gone already only my router only transferred 20MB. Is this spillover from my previous overage? Or just part of the miscalculation?

On an unrelated topic, is there an APN I can use that gives me a public IP, or is there another way I can route back to my home connection from the outside? If not, then this is really something you should warn about when marketing this product.
    You should already get a public IP, this changed about a week ago

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RAINing on people's parades?
    Time is almost at an end.

I'm very happy with the rain network. Not one bit happy with afrihost service especially the usage monitoring in clientzone . Getting capped despite having paid for data, huge amount of data going missing etc is unacceptable. No other isps seem to be having these issues.

I have similar problem,50gig+ of data disappeared on download alone with 0 upload. I made several calls to Afrihost with no success. All I get is apologies, but they have no clue where my data went.

Quote Originally Posted by Leno View Post
    You should already get a public IP, this changed about a week ago
    The IP I get almost looks like a public IP, but it's on a /24, so you wouldn't be able to route to it over the Internet.

197.*.*.* is class c ip address, default subnet is /24. it's public address, so you are able to route it over internet, it's not private ip behind WAN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast