Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Speed Rain LTE-A

Default Slow Speed Rain LTE-A

Hi there

I just got Rain LTE-A today and my download speeds are super slow, anyone knows if that's just because I got it today or something ? (Kinda disappointed with the speed so hoping for the best ) download speed is about 4mbps when running speed test :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nininha View Post
    Hi there

I just got Rain LTE-A today and my download speeds are super slow, anyone knows if that's just because I got it today or something ? (Kinda disappointed with the speed so hoping for the best ) download speed is about 4mbps when running speed test :/
    What is your connection quality like? (how many bars out of 5, what is your RSRP value?)

Are you using the LAN port or wifi?

1 bar out of 5, wifi ... speed tester ping - 38ms download - 7.82Mbps :/

Super Grandmaster

1 bar out of 5, wifi ... speed tester ping - 38ms download - 7.82Mbps :/
    You might need an external antenna

poor signal, but you can improve it with antenna

Noted some slower than usual speeds last night as well - some buffering noted on YouTube, but did not bother with a speed test.
    Was also on wi-fi, but had 4 bar signal (which is standard for me).

Nininha. move your LTE modem around. (it has wifi)

Move the modem closer to a window (Signal is better going through windows than Solid rock) - If you can make it not go through even one 5 or 6cm wall. It will increase the speed by 5 maybe 10mbit.

Always try to get higher elevation (tower signal reaches your device from top, less objects to go through at a angle)

Try the other areas of your house (download the speedtest app on your cellphone - connect your cellphone to your LTE wifi). Then run speed tests in different area of your house.

Middle of house or Kitchen.
    TV room
    Study room
    Braai Area - Under roof preferred.
    PC room or Bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
    You might need an external antenna
    Problem is at the complex I'm living at the moment I am not aloud any sort of antena or dish

Despite the speed test Netflix also ran smoothly and at high quality however torrent download was very slow :/

Def gonna try that , I sent an email to Rain and the reply was
    "This speed test does not reflect good network service. You need to contact your ISP with this information so that they can trouble shoot and assist.

However, before you do call them, we would like to suggest that you re-set your modem by taking out the SIM card and leaving it off for a few minutes and then re connect. Redo your speed tests, this may improve connection. If not, go ahead and escalate with your ISP."

I'm gonna try evrything because unfortunately an antena is not an option here :/

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Nininha. move your LTE modem around. (it has wifi)

Move the modem closer to a window (Signal is better going through windows than Solid rock) - If you can make it not go through even one 5 or 6cm wall. It will increase the speed by 5 maybe 10mbit.

Always try to get higher elevation (tower signal reaches your device from top, less objects to go through at a angle)

Try the other areas of your house (download the speedtest app on your cellphone - connect your cellphone to your LTE wifi). Then run speed tests in different area of your house.

Middle of house or Kitchen.
    TV room
    Study room
    Braai Area - Under roof preferred.
    PC room or Bedroom.

getting an antenna regardless of mounting will improve the signal 10 fold, my friend went from 3 to 5 bars with a 9db poynting antenna without even mounting it. and obviously with the improved signal strength, his speeds naturally picked up

Ye , positioning is the key. you can bump it up by 5mbit or 10mbit just by finding the sweet spot (5cm to left or right can make a heavy difference)

You can also try turning the modem 10 degree's to the right or left.

If you really can't get it right, ask your ISP for a refund. WebAfrica offered me one in the event that I couldn't get good speeds / signal. Don't know which ISP you're with?

Def gonna try that , I sent an email to Rain and the reply was
    "This speed test does not reflect good network service. You need to contact your ISP with this information so that they can trouble shoot and assist.

However, before you do call them, we would like to suggest that you re-set your modem by taking out the SIM card and leaving it off for a few minutes and then re connect. Redo your speed tests, this may improve connection. If not, go ahead and escalate with your ISP."

I'm gonna try evrything because unfortunately an antena is not an option here :/
    An antenna doesn't need to be mounted externally. The same way the bunny-ears TV antenna's didn't need to be mounted externally. It boosts signal, not as optimally as an external antenna can, but it should give you better signal, which in turn would translate into better speeds.

It's also spelled "allowed" not "aloud". The one is a sound. The other is a form of permission.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast