Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which ISPs don't use Internet Solutions as their backbone?

Default Which ISPs don't use Internet Solutions as their backbone?

Been having issues with international traffic lately, same issues on multiple ISPs. I'm wondering if it could be IS that's causing the issues and need to test ISPs that don't use IS.

Afrihost and Axxess share a common network. Telkom Internet has its own network.

There are doubtless plenty of other examples, but those are the only ones that I can say for sure don't use IS' network.

Quote Originally Posted by drs View Post
    Afrihost and Axxess share a common network. Telkom Internet has its own network.

There are doubtless plenty of other examples, but those are the only ones that I can say for sure don't use IS' network.
    It's difficult to test on telkom network though. I have account with Afrihost and Crystal Web and then 1GB accounts on Axxess and Web Africa.

I assumed Afrihost and Axxess were using IS backbone. I wonder if there'd be way for me to know what undersea cable an ISP is using. I have an extremely weird issue. Local speeds are fine, international speeds are very low and my router is showing packet loss, you'd assume it's an ISP issue but then I see this on all the ISP accounts, I'm gonna run a few winMTR tests when I get home and see if I can isolate the problem.

Telkom Internet --- SAIX
    Cybersmart -- Cybersmart
    Axxesst -- Echo
    Afrihost -- Echo
    Crystal Web -- IS
    Web Africa -- IS
    MWeb -- IS

Quote Originally Posted by Lishen23 View Post
    Been having issues with international traffic lately, same issues on multiple ISPs. I'm wondering if it could be IS that's causing the issues and need to test ISPs that don't use IS.
    It may be backhaul related, which is beyond the control of ISPs. The ideal would be for your traffic to break out from Durban onto Seacom or SAFE on the East Coast... without having to travel to a hub in Joburg or Centurion first.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    It may be backhaul related, which is beyond the control of ISPs. The ideal would be for your traffic to break out from Durban onto Seacom or SAFE on the East Coast... without having to travel to a hub in Joburg or Centurion first.
    Backhaul is not related to backbone? Does it have to do with the undersea cable that I'm connecting through?

Quote Originally Posted by Lishen23 View Post
    Backhaul is not related to backbone? Does it have to do with the undersea cable that I'm connecting through?
    Yes.

Ive also been having issues with super slow international traffic since I upgraded my line speed. Tried WebAfrica, Afrihost and Telkom's own test account (all capped lines) and there was no difference. Local speeds are perfect but international is donkey slow.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Ive also been having issues with super slow international traffic since I upgraded my line speed. Tried WebAfrica, Afrihost and Telkom's own test account (all capped lines) and there was no difference. Local speeds are perfect but international is donkey slow.
    Where about are you based? I also suspect it's related to my DSL line not my ISP account, but I need to properly rule out everything related to the ISP side first.

Also been having terrible latency with Crystal Web for a while now.

+ Reply to Thread