Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever used Airbnb?

I'm a host and have had multiple visitors from overseas and local - the overseas guests are mostly polite, friendly and apprehensive to be holidaying in SA. Local guests tend to be brusque and eat all my sweeties and drink all my hot chocolate.

We used Airbnb to book our entire 3 week honeymoon in Phuket, was cheap as chips and easy to book and the accommodation was all perfect.

Very happy to have found this service - an excellent and well run organization.

used once in Cape Town, very good experience.

No. I've only needed holiday accomm. in SA thus far and always found better prices/deals elsewhere. I guess airbnb really only benefits if looking for business/residential accomm. and perhaps if going overseas.

Hosting and used. Been happy so far with both

Super Grandmaster

yes, love the concept.
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." - Dr. Albert Bartlett

So what are the legalities of hosting your home? Does it have to be registered as a bnb with the municipality?
    What if neighbours are upset with random strangers coming into the neighborhood?
    Also do you need permission from your Body corporate if in a sectional title?

Going to Manchester UK soon and was thinking of using Airbnb. I will give it a shot and revert back with my review

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    /shameless plug time
    Where in joburg do you stay?
    In Ripen Park I think it's called? It's right by Sandton/Hyde park. It has 100mbit Fibre which is a huge draw. A lot of places on AirBnb just get "internet" for guests.

We had one in Cape Town that only had 10GB LTE and called it internet. Luckily I got uncapped with another provider for the duration, I smoked the 10GB in a day without even trying.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by F1 Fan View Post
    So you actually don't have your own place that you stay in?

Since you have experience with this, are you able to estimate the daily rate you can get on a 25m2 studio apartment + 1 bay in the Bree area, City Bowl, Cape Town? Assume top finishes (granite tops, basic home automation) in a brand new building. Minimal views of the mountain.

I have had a look at the listings but its very difficult to compare as most of the places are older..
    Nope, we don't have our own place. We travel entirely on our SA passport too.

Airbnb is super tricky, the reason the places look older is because you are not searching 6 months into the future. The best stuff is gone 6-9 months before you travel.

Cape Town is also a SUPER difficult market, prices for CPT on Airbnb are more than most European cities. Discounts for long term in South Africa in general are tiny, vs 40-60% overseas. It's actually so frustrating when I book for SA. I feel like I'm getting robbed to put myself at risk of getting robbed.

And for that in Capetown on airbnb is somewhere around 18-25k. You probably wouldn't even get internet in half of them.

my wife used it to get accommodation in the UK recently. Stayed there for just under a week and was very happy. As for locally, nope not yet.

I need explaination

What explanation?

most of us havent heard of "Airbnb" till now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123