Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mikrotik wAP LTE kit

Quote Originally Posted by Genisys View Post
    Mikrotik devices are not meant to be "aesthetically pleasing". You buy Mikrotik devices to get the job done.
    Although I agree completely on the functionality it helps a hell of a lot when reselling it to someone if it doesn’t look dog ugly.

So I secured a unit to test. If you're familiar with RouterOS then setup is a piece of cake. Unit looks nice and is easy to open up and disassemble.

I did some rudimentary side-by-side tests with a Huawei B315 (paddles attached) and the RSRP was -73dBm on the Huawei and -84dBm on the Mikrotik. So the internal antennas are not that great. The download speeds were pretty similar, but the upload suffered (I assume due to the poorer signal). Only other fault was that you can't get the SIM card out easily. It doesn't have a spring eject, so you need to pull it out and the only way to do that was to take off the top cover and push the SIM out.

Some pics!
    Name:  IMG_6073_small.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  90.9 KB
    Side View

Name:  IMG_6071_small.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  314.8 KB
    Front View

Name:  IMG_6072_small.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  668.5 KB
    Rear View
    53.91% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and SABC censorship.

Ok, I can see the antenna are not soldered in like other units. So in theory you can add external antennae.

Is there any space on the external casing that would allow you to drill through
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Default Mikrotik wAP LTE kit

There are antenna headers on the board. In the front view you can see the black cable cross over it and the other one is to the right of it.

You can use 2 of these: http://www.antennas.co.za/Products/P...etails?code=39
    Last edited by morkhans; 18-10-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    53.91% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and SABC censorship.

/Cracks open hap lite to check
    /Swears!!!
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

- Benjamin Franklin

Now I'm tempted to get one, like like decent kit. Is the enclosure weather proof?

Now I'm tempted to get one, like like decent kit. Is the enclosure weather proof?
    Yes, apparently.

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rbwapr-2nd.html

- Benjamin Franklin

Yes. Comes with a mounting bracket.

Scoop seem to stock them.

It looks like there are two cutouts the size of an SMA connector next to the power connector which could be used for external antennae.

This would be so nice for a failover LTE connection.

Someone knows if this work with RAIN network please?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    Someone knows if this work with RAIN network please?
    It should until they start restricting which devices can register on their network:
    https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...in-smartphones

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    It should until they start restricting which devices can register on their network:
    https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...in-smartphones
    Thanks.

So we purchased 2 x SMA Female To U.FL Connector and a A-XPOL-0006. Poynting will shorten the cable on request (ships with 10m).

I initially made the mistake of connecting the cables to the two headers on the board. Turns out these are "used only for factory Wireless calibration" according to Mikrotik support. So you need to remove the hot glue and the internal antennas and connect them directly to the mPCIe card. The glue is pretty simple to remove but connecting the U.FL connectors can be a bit fiddly. A decent set of long nose pliers will help. I also found a use for the Mikrotik sticker

Name:  IMG_6151_resize.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  248.0 KB
    Connecting to the card

Name:  IMG_6152_resize.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  182.1 KB
    Something to keep them in place
    Last edited by morkhans; 02-11-2017 at 03:22 PM.

More pics

Name:  IMG_6139_resize.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  46.7 KB
    SMA connectors

Name:  IMG_6146_resize.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  60.2 KB
    All done, with XPOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast