Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MTN Spam via Emergency Broadcast

  1. #1

    Default MTN Spam via Emergency Broadcast

    Hi Everyone,

    I've flashed a custom ROM (Lineage OS) onto my phone about 5-6 weeks ago, and ever since, I've been getting spammed by MTN via the Emergency Broadcast telling me that I'm in a "85% Zone", more often than every 10 minutes. I got 10 of them while writing this post. It's much worse in Joberg CBD than at home in Sandton. I highly doubt that it's the ROM's fault because I'm sure that it would have been reported as a bug by now. It's very annoying because I think I've got a notification for something important, but when I look at my phone, it's the broadcast.

    I've tried everything short of modifying the kernel. I've disabled all the settings on my phone, and I can't seem to get the broadcast notifications to stop. I assume that they are the super-important ones that I'd imagine would be sent out in life-threatening emergency situations, that's why I'm still getting them.

    Does anyone know how I can block these broadcasts? I find this very bad on MTN's part and I'm considering cancelling my contract and changing to another network because of this. It's complete BS.

    Flashing the stock ROM is not an option. I can't stand the OEM ROM.

    Here's some screenshots of the notifications and my phone's emergency broadcast settings




    Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster supersunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Garsfontein, Pretoria
    Posts
    38,438

    Default

    Easy solution: Stop being on the MTN Zone price plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

  3. #3

    Default

    Open your native SMS app. Go to Settings. Look for Cell Broadcast settings, and disable the notifications.

    At least, that's where you would do it on most Android devices.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sgs View Post
    Open your native SMS app. Go to Settings. Look for Cell Broadcast settings, and disable the notifications.

    At least, that's where you would do it on most Android devices.
    This took me to the same settings page that I showed in the screenshots No luck


    Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Easy solution: Stop being on the MTN Zone price plan.
    I had not thought of that at all. I've gone over to MTN 1c/Second. I hardly make phone calls, so I'm not really loosing out. I got an SMS saying that I was successfully migrated. I've received 3 Zone broadcasts since that SMS, but no more for about an hour. I guess I'll have to see what happens tomorrow. fingers crossed. These broadcasts are complete BS though. Why would MTN want to spam their users?

  5. #5

    Default

    The system is only really taken seriously in the states, disable it here

  6. #6
    Resident Lead Bender Ockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Henceforth AKA OckieMoto :-)
    Posts
    46,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Segg View Post
    The system is only really taken seriously in the states, disable it here
    Why dont we use it here? Could be a great way for cities etc to communicate important information to the people. Warning of violent protests in certain areas, fires and relevant information about it in for example like what we saw not so long ago in Knysna etc. Warning of potential floods in Johannesburg when we have heavy thunderstorms. So many uses to keep people informed.
    APoc184 - "Well apparently I'm Ockie's kinda girl."

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster genetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    /\/ŻŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
    Posts
    22,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    Why dont we use it here? Could be a great way for cities etc to communicate important information to the people. Warning of violent protests in certain areas, fires and relevant information about it in for example like what we saw not so long ago in Knysna etc. Warning of potential floods in Johannesburg when we have heavy thunderstorms. So many uses to keep people informed.
    Its an ancient technology and is disabled by default on most handsets. Modern twitter, WhatsApp and IM services have largely replaced it.
    I believe posters are recognised by their sig... so I made one.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genetic View Post
    Its an ancient technology and is disabled by default on most handsets. Modern twitter, WhatsApp and IM services have largely replaced it.
    Funny, I thought it was a new thing. Guess its just never been used here before.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-09-2016, 05:44 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
  3. Gmail spam ... mostly pharmaceutical spam
    By Picard in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  4. I'll have spam spam spam sausage and spam !
    By daveza in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •