Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is happening with my beloved Afrihost?

Angry What is happening with my beloved Afrihost?

This post is a combination of my issues today and a trend I am noticing with Afrihost.

Firstly, today my Openserve fibre has gone belly up. Using the Openserve guest account I get my full 20Mbps, with Web Africa I get my full 20Mbps, but with Afrihost... well I can't even load up the Afrihost home page.
    This isnt the first time this has happened but this is the first time I have managed to pin it down to Afrihost (the last time it was late at night and I was tired).

So my current internet problems are to be laid at the feet of Afrihost, which is sad because I have recommended Afrihost to family and friends, and no less than 5 other people are using Afrihost as their ISP because of my recommendation.

The trend that I am noticing from Afrihost is a gradual but severe decrease in the quality of customer service. I deal with Afrihost in my professional and personal capacities, both as an ISP and a hosting provider. The live chat is no longer available, but even when it was available why was it only available during office hours? There are other hosting providers that we use which offer round the clock support over chat.

So since the live chat is not working any more (again, what year is it?!) you are forced to phone... and you are greeted with the message that you are number 20 in the queue and have to wait 21 minutes. I am not wasting 21 minutes of my airtime in the hopes that someone can fix a problem I should not be having in the first place.
    When it came to my fibre I had to scrounge around for information and sometimes it was akin to trying to get blood from a stone. A friend of mine (who went with Afrihost on my recommendation) was also given very little information when it came to migrating his fibre line.

I used to be delighted with Afrihost and the incredible customer service. These days I am not and I am starting to fear that the service levels might never improve.
    Cyberoam Certified Network Security Professional
    3CX Advanced Certified Engineer

How does this make you feel?

I tell you whats happening. Afrihost in my opinion has reached their target market share and just dont care about their customer base it has. I remember the days when they has issues on their network and we stuck with them but now the are becoming very arrogant.

So the plot bloody thickens.

I have just tested with my fibre bundle capped account and my old capped account. The fibre bundle account is still dog slow, I cant even open up speed test. My old AH capped account (due to be cancelled at the end of the month) works perfectly.

WTF!!!

And of course AH support is not 24/7. Its like people only use their services during business hours.

Let me just go and check the support hours of some of the other ISPs...

MWEB: Mon - Sat 08h00 - 22h00
    Sun 10h00 - 22h00
    Public Holidays 08h00 - 22h00

Crystal Web: Mon-Fri 07h00 - 00h00
    Sat-Sun - 08h00-17h00

Axxess: 24/7 Support

Turns out due to some accounting error my fibre data account is locked.
    My call today was answered instantly, which I do appreciate, and the gentleman was able to get the information and promised to speak to the accounts department tomorrow.

It seems that I was double billed for my fibre and then a credit note was issued, but this hasn't gone as smoothly as one would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbyte View Post

I have just tested with my fibre bundle capped account and my old capped account. The fibre bundle account is still dog slow, I cant even open up speed test. My old AH capped account (due to be cancelled at the end of the month) works perfectly.

WTF!!!

And of course AH support is not 24/7. Its like people only use their services during business hours.

Sun 10h00 - 22h00

Sat-Sun - 08h00-17h00

I'm sad to hear that you had such a frustrating experience over the weekend. We definitely do offer 24/7 support. You can contact our Team after hours by emailing [email protected] or by requesting an after hours callback by sending "HELP" to 32541.

It sounds like even though a billing error was picked up on your account, we still have to troubleshoot your slow access. Let me know if it happens to you again.
    "And that's why you always leave a note..."

Turns out due to some accounting error my fibre data account is locked.
    My call today was answered instantly, which I do appreciate, and the gentleman was able to get the information and promised to speak to the accounts department tomorrow.

It seems that I was double billed for my fibre and then a credit note was issued, but this hasn't gone as smoothly as one would expect.
    I'm glad to hear you were assisted speedily this morning. I'm sure our Team will be able to resolve your billing error with no trouble at all. Keep me posted with feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by llewxam View Post
    I tell you whats happening. Afrihost in my opinion has reached their target market share and just dont care about their customer base it has. I remember the days when they has issues on their network and we stuck with them but now the are becoming very arrogant.
    I can assure you that our business model will always keep our awesome clients first. If you ever find that your support request is not getting handled as quickly as you would like, drop me a PM and I'll help get it sorted quickly.

WTF!!!

Sun 10h00 - 22h00

Sat-Sun - 08h00-17h00

South Africa's version of 24 hours support means you are welcome to send them email after hours, but only expect an answer during business hours.

In comparison, you can email prominent companies like Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft, Google etc. and get a personalized response from a real human being within 10 minutes at any time.
    "Dude...we all need to look away from our computer screens and go see what's really going on in the world." - Sl8er

Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight View Post
    South Africa's version of 24 hours support means you are welcome to send them email after hours, but only expect an answer during business hours.

In comparison, you can email prominent companies like Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft, Google etc. and get a personalized response from a real human being within 10 minutes at any time.
    Our Support Team is available to answer emails and call clients back around the clock. With that being said,. we're definitely using every resource possible to improve support times on a daily basis.

Honestly, live chat available at least till midnight would be awesome. I hate waiting for an email or a call back, but if I can chat to a real person over text then I am a very happy man.

Honestly, live chat available at least till midnight would be awesome. I hate waiting for an email or a call back, but if I can chat to a real person over text then I am a very happy man.
    That definitely makes sense. I'll pass your feedback onto our team. We're always working on improving clients' support experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AfriFella View Post
    Our Support Team is available to answer emails and call clients back around the clock. With that being said,. we're definitely using every resource possible to improve support times on a daily basis.
    Have been with Afrihost for many, many, years and referred many, many, people there, and my experience has been that you never get an email response after hours, and the callback requests are just plainly ignored.

Name:  many-many-many-many-tickets-are-unassigned.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  61.1 KB

To be fair, Afrihost is not the only ISP lacking in this department by any stretch of the imagination.
    "Dude...we all need to look away from our computer screens and go see what's really going on in the world." - Sl8er

Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight View Post
    Have been with Afrihost for many, many, years and referred many, many, people there, and my experience has been that you never get an email response after hours, and the callback requests are just plainly ignored.

Name:  many-many-many-many-tickets-are-unassigned.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  61.1 KB

To be fair, Afrihost is not the only ISP lacking in this department by any stretch of the imagination.
    All tickets are definitely assigned and you will get a reference number when logged. When we are dealing with high volumes it's possible that there can sometimes be a delay, but as mentioned, we're working every day to improve response times. Once again, if you ever feel like you're experiencing a delay, drop me a PM with your ticket reference and I'll make sure our Team prioritizes your request.

I have been with Afrihost since the beginning. I stuck with them three or four years ago when their line speed took a massive dip and Gian asked us to give them a chance to redeem themselves. My suburb is now fibre ready so two weeks ago I signed for an Afrihost fibre bundle even though they are far from the cheapest. Big mistake. They immediately put through a connection fee even though they said this would be free. I have been trying ever since to get them to reverse it. Nothing except the machine generated response giving me a ticket number (VJM-174-36846) telling me that a human will contact me "real soon now". Same with every reminder I send.

After reading some alarming comments on MyBroadband and Hello Peter I decided to jump ship and so I unplugged my ADSL line and sent en email cancelling both the new fibre and my existing ADSL bundle. I know they don't take cancellations by email so I asked them to phone me to confirm. Again nothing. Now they have put through a debit for the new month. Now I guess I'm in for a real nightmare.

What a pity that the wheels are falling off this company that I once really admired.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast