Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gautrain vs Uber from Park Station to OR Tambo tomorrow(Public Holiday)?

Default Gautrain vs Uber from Park Station to OR Tambo tomorrow(Public Holiday)?

I've never used the Gautrain before, and I heard that Uber drivers can get harassed by taxi drivers, though I'm not sure how common that is.

My wife and I are arriving at Park Station by bus at about 5PM tomorrow (25th Sep) and it's a public holiday, so according to the train timetable there should be a train every 30 minutes. We're trying to decide on the safest way to get to the Holiday Inn near OR Tambo. We have 3 heavy bags plus some laptop bags so safety is the main concern.

Option 1:
    Take the Gautrain to OR Tambo and the hotel has a shuttle there that will pick us up. The only concern I have is lugging around our bags from the Bus area at Park Station into the Gautrain station. There's also a change of trains at Sandton. Is it safe at around 5PM to be walking from Park Station to the Gautrain platform?

Option 2: Call an UberX to fetch us at Park Station and drive us directly to the Hotel. This is my preferred option. I did a check on the App and the cost is similar to the train anyway. My only concern is if there would be any issues having Uber pick us up at Park Station. I imagine there are taxi's around the station. Do Uber drivers have any trouble there? And can they pick us up somewhere inside or very close to the station. I have no idea what the area is like.

Option 3: Use some other Taxi company. I have no idea which one to use or the cost etc. I'll have to call around I guess. Uber is just so much more convenient.

Thanks!
    K

The only place it is unsafe is prolly inside of park station. Once you are out of there you should be fine

Just take the Gautrain. It's much easier and quicker too

Super Grandmaster

With all that luggage, might be more convenient to just get the uber. I have no idea what the situation is at park station though. But the change over and then getting another shuttle doesn't seem to be worth it if the price is that not much different.

Thanks - I'm still kinda leaning toward the uber for the convenience with the luggage.

However, regarding the Gautrain - has anyone walked from the Park Station bus area over to the Gautrain station. I can't find any videos or images or an idea of the distance and whether or not it's a secure path.

Like, if we have to exit the station grounds and cross a city street or something? - I have no idea what the area is like at 5PM. If there was some internal walk way that joins the stations and it's secure than that's cool.

Thanks for all the responses.

Super Grandmaster

Have your driver meet you inside Park Station
    SEALAND Honary Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary

Quote Originally Posted by Neverwhere View Post
    Thanks - I'm still kinda leaning toward the uber for the convenience with the luggage.

However, regarding the Gautrain - has anyone walked from the Park Station bus area over to the Gautrain station. I can't find any videos or images or an idea of the distance and whether or not it's a secure path.

Like, if we have to exit the station grounds and cross a city street or something? - I have no idea what the area is like at 5PM. If there was some internal walk way that joins the stations and it's secure than that's cool.

Thanks for all the responses.
    The bus station to Gautrain entrance is on the same property. Uber will want t9mmeetbyou a block or 3 away. Gautrain will be safer and easier to get too.

Uber drivers don't come into Park station anymore. Better to take the Gautrain. I haven't walked from the bus area to the Gautrain station yet but it is right next to as far I can see

Thanks! I'm at the hotel now. We used the Gautrain. For anyone that might find this thread helpful in the future. When you get off the bus and enter Park Station, you just go up the escalator on the left and follow the signs to the Gautrain station, it's just outside the exit up there.. 30 seconds away. People do hassle you for that 30 seconds though, wanting to carry your bags or asking for change.

Once inside the Gautrain system everything was awesome and safe.

Thanks everyone.

Glad it worked out well.

+ Reply to Thread