Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre installed - now how to activate?

Default Fibre installed - now how to activate?

Our complex (in supposedly the richest square mile in Africa) just got fibre last month. SADV did the build. They did the fibre drop into our unit two months ago (ran the cable from the outside into our unit at a termination point), and since then we've been waiting to go live.

I placed my order with WebAfrica - it appears our complex is covered by both Vuma and SADV, so I picked WebAfrica on Vuma. A few weeks ago, someone from Britelink contacted me and said they wanted to do the fibre install in our unit. I was confused as I knew this was already done, but I nonetheless accepted it and met the installer a few days later. When he got to my flat, he was surprised and said that his job is already done (yes, I knew this, it was done by SADV's people a few months ago). He then said that he just needed to install the ONT. He did so, and I was left with a Vuma branded Huawei ONT, next to the already installed termination point. I asked him why he did not hook up the ONT to the fibre termination point, as this seemed the obvious thing to do, but he told me that splicing was needed and that someone else would be in contact to do the splicing.

The next week, I was contacted by someone from DAC (I think) and they scheduled a splicing appointment. a few days later, the splicers arrived only to realize that that too had already been done. they then did a very shoddy job of connecting the ONT to the fibre termination point. (A yellow wire just dangling out of the termination point and going into the back of the ONT). Anyway, this was before there was much confusion as to whether the complex was in fact live. you see, the testing machine that they brought was apparently not indicating that our complex was live. eventually the guy connected the fibre termination point to the ONT directly, and the PON light was flashing. he said this meant that our complex was indeed live and there was probably something wrong with his testing machine.

Anyway, I asked him what is next, he said he will notify his people that the install is complete and they will in turn notify other people to do a configuration.

A few days went by and nothing happened, so I contacted Webafrica. when I told the support guy that my PON light was repeatedly flashing green, he said that's good. he then went onto his system and checked his portal, and said it indicates that my build was still in progress. I told him it was complete, but he said that until the installers advise procurement that the build is complete, they cannot do anything, and he said he would escalate to his procurement guys.

Is this correct? Surely there must be another way? WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED lol.

Any advice from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by yash0505 View Post
    Our complex (in supposedly the richest square mile in Africa) just got fibre last month. SADV did the build. They did the fibre drop into our unit two months ago (ran the cable from the outside into our unit at a termination point), and since then we've been waiting to go live.

I placed my order with WebAfrica - it appears our complex is covered by both Vuma and SADV, so I picked WebAfrica on Vuma. A few weeks ago, someone from Britelink contacted me and said they wanted to do the fibre install in our unit. I was confused as I knew this was already done, but I nonetheless accepted it and met the installer a few days later. When he got to my flat, he was surprised and said that his job is already done (yes, I knew this, it was done by SADV's people a few months ago). He then said that he just needed to install the ONT. He did so, and I was left with a Vuma branded Huawei ONT, next to the already installed termination point. I asked him why he did not hook up the ONT to the fibre termination point, as this seemed the obvious thing to do, but he told me that splicing was needed and that someone else would be in contact to do the splicing.

The next week, I was contacted by someone from DAC (I think) and they scheduled a splicing appointment. a few days later, the splicers arrived only to realize that that too had already been done. they then did a very shoddy job of connecting the ONT to the fibre termination point. (A yellow wire just dangling out of the termination point and going into the back of the ONT). Anyway, this was before there was much confusion as to whether the complex was in fact live. you see, the testing machine that they brought was apparently not indicating that our complex was live. eventually the guy connected the fibre termination point to the ONT directly, and the PON light was flashing. he said this meant that our complex was indeed live and there was probably something wrong with his testing machine.

Anyway, I asked him what is next, he said he will notify his people that the install is complete and they will in turn notify other people to do a configuration.

A few days went by and nothing happened, so I contacted Webafrica. when I told the support guy that my PON light was repeatedly flashing green, he said that's good. he then went onto his system and checked his portal, and said it indicates that my build was still in progress. I told him it was complete, but he said that until the installers advise procurement that the build is complete, they cannot do anything, and he said he would escalate to his procurement guys.

Is this correct? Surely there must be another way? WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED lol.

Any advice from anyone?

Get another provider...i would never put up with that...

OK, so I am with Vuma in my complex as well... Once they install into your Unit with a CPE box then you just contact vuma... i sent them a direct message on facebook which seems to get a solid response... As i had a hickup or two mainly due to the line needing to be provisioned on vumatels side... but when you chat with them they will be able to instantly pick up your line...

in my case i registered on vumatels site... if you have a vumatel line thats provisioned but doesnt have a package yet then if you logon to their portal it will give you the info about your line and give you the option to go choose a package which will then be activated within the hour...

From the sounds of it you went through web africa... "Hate that ISP" and only some ISP's offer that you can order through them as most require that you order your package through the vumatel site.

Anyways... just chat vuma up on Facebook... and or call them and ask them if they can provision you line so you can order your fiber... Once you line is provisioned they provide you with an Object Number for your CPE Box normally a number like VT-xx-xx-xxxx

This is what your ISP uses to activate your line... in my case because they couldnt provision my line they couldnt provide that number and i couldnt activate my package. When using vumatel if you logon to the portal (http://shop.vumatel.co.za) once logged in it will show this info there. if the line is not provisioned it wont show on your account...

Anyways Let me know if you have any success

Super Grandmaster

I'm with Afrihost + SADV fibre and I also recall having a few complications initially but not to the extent you're going through. After the installer arrived and left my place I was never advised by anyone that my line was activated, however when I plugged in my own router WAN port to their fibre termination point it just started working I seem to recall going through some sort of Afrihost portal sign up process initially on the first connect... hmmm... could have sworn this was the case but I can hardly remember now.

It seems my line uses IPoE so no need for entering any username and password into the router - Unlike what we're used to with ADSL previously. But I also have friends who currently use FTTH and tell me theirs is PPPoE. So I guess it depends on the provider and whether it is FTTH or something in a large complex? But there's a chance yours might be working already... holding thumbs.

From my limited experience nobody in the back-end and process side of things seems to know whats going on with fibre. I guess its complicated when one ISP deals with many installers with different infrastructure etc... And initially you were forced to sign up with the provider directly, only fairly recently has it become available via ISP's - So this adds to the confusion perhaps.

FYI the fibre takes a couple minutes (2 - 3 perhaps) to establish a connection when you reboot the router as well. A bit longer than ADSL.
    Last edited by Bobbin; 26-09-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    The meek shall inherit the Earth.

(A yellow wire just dangling out of the termination point and going into the back of the ONT)
    I thought that's normal...
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Maybe I'm confused but if SADV installed the termination point how can Vuma just use it? I think the termination point is actually vumatels because they won't use SADVs install that could become a legal issue. Don't know if I'm wrong so I stand to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Maybe I'm confused but if SADV installed the termination point how can Vuma just use it? I think the termination point is actually vumatels because they won't use SADVs install that could become a legal issue. Don't know if I'm wrong so I stand to be corrected.
    I also thought so but on most of the ISPs’ websites both SADV and Vumafibrehoods are listed as the fiber suppliers so maybe that’s why?

I am on the line now with Vumatel. I’ve been asked to hold the line twice now. The latest being after I was asked my ID number. Will let you all know what comes of it in the end *crosses fingers and toes*

I am on the line now with Vumatel. I’ve been asked to hold the line twice now. The latest being after I was asked my ID number. Will let you all know what comes of it in the end *crosses fingers and toes*
    So after a 20 minute call this is what happened. The lady came back on the line and asked me for my FSAN number. I confirmed whether this was the sticker that the installers put on the ONT after installation and she said yes. I then gave her the number. She said she is then going to escalate to their second level so that the people who did the install can configure the line. I asked her who these people were, and she said it is Britelink.

So I guess now I wait for Britelink to get themselves into gear? I am considering calling Britelink directly and nagging.

So I called Webafrica again. Told them the latest. They said they are escalating and unfortunately this step is sort of out of their hands. I said I understand but it is just frustrating that the installer doesn’t just change the status on their system.

So then I called Britelink on 0109004264. I was not going to give up without a proper try, so I held on for 9 minutes before someone finally picked up the phone (their automated queuing system is silly because it says “you are caller number” and then it pauses for like 30 seconds before telling you what number you are in the queue). Anyway I spoke to a lady and told her my situation. She asked for my name and my address. She said she sees on her system that splicing needs to be done. I told her it’s all done and that the ONT is connected and the PON light is flashing green. She asked me again just to be sure (I assume) and I said yes the splicing is complete. She said she would then update their system to say that the connection is complete and hopefully that will assist with the ISP getting into action.

Still no word on who “configures” the line. Let’s see where this goes. I have a feeling I am doing the work if the ISP and Fibrehoods lol.

Argh so I have just checked the Fibrehoods portal now. The status has changed from “pending installation” to “splicing in progress”. Feel like tearing hair out. It should say installation complete surely!

So anyway. i contacted Britelink. They asked me for my FSAN number. i gave it to them. They already had it (meaning the previous techie did in fact give it to them after doing the installation). They said they cannot pick up my ONT, and this is probably why it says splicing still in progress. They arranged for another techie to come to my flat today (his name is Innocent). He came today and after an hour of back and forth with his people on their WhatsApp group, he finally managed to get them to confirm that they were picking up the ONT. i asked him what next? He said that Reflex (sp?) must now configure the line and this will either be done today or tomorrow. He said he has informed his people that the installation is complete and it should show up on the portal.

I thanked him and went back to the office. i checked the fibrehoods portal. it still says "splicing in progress". Sigh.

So anyway. i contacted Britelink. They asked me for my FSAN number. i gave it to them. They already had it (meaning the previous techie did in fact give it to them after doing the installation). They said they cannot pick up my ONT, and this is probably why it says splicing still in progress. They arranged for another techie to come to my flat today (his name is Innocent). He came today and after an hour of back and forth with his people on their WhatsApp group, he finally managed to get them to confirm that they were picking up the ONT. i asked him what next? He said that Reflex (sp?) must now configure the line and this will either be done today or tomorrow. He said he has informed his people that the installation is complete and it should show up on the portal.

I thanked him and went back to the office. i checked the fibrehoods portal. it still says "splicing in progress". Sigh.
    Your ISP can escalate this for you.
    Cool Ideas Service Provider - www.cisp.co.za

I also thought so but on most of the ISPs’ websites both SADV and Vumafibrehoods are listed as the fiber suppliers so maybe that’s why?
    This doesn't always mean you can select any of the two. Vuma might have fibre in the road but they might not have installed any fibre to the units in your complex. If SADV did the install most likely you will need to go with SADV as they have fibre to your unit. Your body corporate will need to allow SADV and Vuma to install to the units and this is sometimes unlikely.

The ISPs websites are not always up to date with all the info, normally when vuma installed in the neighborhood they will show vuma is available, but if you in a complex you might have a different provider, on some IPS's sites like home-connect you will see if you put the complex name in it will show you the provider in the complex, that is if they have up to date information.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast