Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it still possible to get a prepaid meter from Tshwane?

Question Is it still possible to get a prepaid meter from Tshwane?

I want to install prepaid meters at units that I'm renting out, but I'm unable to determine if the city still provides this?

I've contacted three different sub-metering companies who tell me that the municipal-direct meters are no longer available and that sub-metering is my only option. I must take into account their bias though. I also don't like their business model since it means that my tenants will be paying 10% (sometimes even 14%) more for electricity, which is a massive margin and I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

They do smart meters. Expensive to install, but you can track usage in real-time on the web and they remotely connect/disconnect.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Matthysdt View Post
    I want to install prepaid meters at units that I'm renting out, but I'm unable to determine if the city still provides this?

I've contacted three different sub-metering companies who tell me that the municipal-direct meters are no longer available and that sub-metering is my only option. I must take into account their bias though. I also don't like their business model since it means that my tenants will be paying 10% (sometimes even 14%) more for electricity, which is a massive margin and I'm pretty sure this is illegal.
    The meter contract for Tshwane has been suspended subject to legal challenges.

It is illegal to charge more than the gazetted rate for electricity.

+ Reply to Thread