Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low line speed after 2 hour downtime yesterday.

Default Low line speed after 2 hour downtime yesterday.

TL;DR: I was syncing at 5120kbps (interleave) on my router yesterday which allowed for actual ~4000kbps download speed, then my line went down for 2 hours and now I'm syncing at 4096kbps with an actual 3300kbps download speed. Help.

So my net goes down for 2 hours yesterday. It comes back up and now it only syncs at 4Mbit whereas it used to sync at 5Mbit? I'm paying for a 4Mbit but the point of being on interleave is that they sync you at a higher speed so that you get the full 4Mbit but at a cost of higher ping.

So I'm on interleave which means higher pings than "fast" AND I'm not even downloading at full speed? My actual throughput is only 3.3Mbit. Surely it should either be interleave (higher ping) + full speed OR fast (normal ping) + normal sync.

The following speeds are actual download rates: I used to be on fast sync a few months ago and was getting (fast) 180ms @ 3.6Mbit. Then they changed me to ADSL2+ and since then I was on (interleave) 210ms @ 4Mbit. Now this downtime has me on interleave at 210ms @ 3.3Mbit.

So basically worst of both interleave and fast sync.

Afripeople, can you guys find out WTF they did?
    Last edited by Vorastra; 27-09-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Afrihost Representative AfriMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vorastra View Post
    TL;DR: I was syncing at 5120kbps (interleave) on my router yesterday which allowed for actual ~4000kbps download speed, then my line went down for 2 hours and now I'm syncing at 4096kbps with an actual 3300kbps download speed. Help.

So my net goes down for 2 hours yesterday. It comes back up and now it only syncs at 4Mbit whereas it used to sync at 5Mbit? I'm paying for a 4Mbit but the point of being on interleave is that they sync you at a higher speed so that you get the full 4Mbit but at a cost of higher ping.

So I'm on interleave which means higher pings than "fast" AND I'm not even downloading at full speed? My actual throughput is only 3.3Mbit. Surely it should either be interleave (higher ping) + full speed OR fast (normal ping) + normal sync.

The following speeds are actual download rates: I used to be on fast sync a few months ago and was getting (fast) 180ms @ 3.6Mbit. Then they changed me to ADSL2+ and since then I was on (interleave) 210ms @ 4Mbit. Now this downtime has me on interleave at 210ms @ 3.3Mbit.

So basically worst of both interleave and fast sync.

Afripeople, can you guys find out WTF they did?
    We can definitely find out what they did. It's possible the moved you to another exchange that can't offer both modulation methods, but we can verify.

Where are you measuring the ping to?
    If AfriMan says it, it is so!

If you asked an excellent question, please post on Answers!

+ Reply to Thread