Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best solar pool heating

Default Best solar pool heating

Hi

Can anyone who is in the business or has one installed recommend what is the best type/brand?
    I see you get "fully wetted" and each claims to be better.
    I have an 8x4 and would like a toasty pool.....what number of panels would be best and more or less a price indication if you can please.

Quote Originally Posted by xinath View Post
    Hi

Can anyone who is in the business or has one installed recommend what is the best type/brand?
    I see you get "fully wetted" and each claims to be better.
    I have an 8x4 and would like a toasty pool.....what number of panels would be best and more or less a price indication if you can please.
    I've got a 9x4 (52k Litre) and have 8 panels ( those thin,flat, black looking ones ,i'll post a photo when i return from my trip) and they work like a charm in spring/summer. I dont even put my heat pump on, 4 years now.

I'll provide info soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Traveller View Post
    I've got a 9x4 (52k Litre) and have 8 panels ( those thin,flat, black looking ones ,i'll post a photo when i return from my trip) and they work like a charm in spring/summer. I dont even put my heat pump on, 4 years now.

I'll provide info soon.
    How long do you run the pump for?

I have a 95-100kl pool with 7 panels. I run pump for 5 hours. Previous owners ran for 8 hours. With a solid pool cover, the pool temp is currently about 24 degrees - I am in Joburg if that makes a difference.

Is that toasty warm?

75kl pool with 4 panels (similar to these) and a pool cover, in Bloemfontein. If I do not stop using the panels during high summer the pool temperature goes above 30C (not really pleasant any more!).

As far as the type of panel is concerned, I would not lose too much sleep over that. I am aware of some people "sommer" using black pipe with good effect - especially if there is a pool cover as well. I was told to install a minimum of 6-8 panels for my pool, but 4 is more than enough with the cover on. Apart from assisting with heating the pool, a cover also retains chlorine. At 30C a pool can go green overnight if you are not on top of the chlorine levels (even when using a salt chlorinator).

Grandmaster

Get as many panels are you can fit

We have a 4x3m pool and have 5 panels... Only need to run for short periods to maintain 30 degrees.

Blog Entries

Before you go the roof panels route, try it with the Solar Blanket alone, that is usually enough for most people - especially with smaller pools to raise the temp by 2 to 4 degrees.
    Then once you have done that, you will have a better idea of how many panels you are going to need, if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

Super Grandmaster

Have you looked at a heat pump?

I'd start with Enerflow.
    Last edited by Arthur; 28-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.

How long are you guys running your pumps with the solar panels. Consodering my pool is only 24 with a cover, thinking maybe to run it more?

Grandmaster

My pool has a solid safety cover (PVC). So it is technically in the shade all the time... so I actually need the solar water heating.

I only run the pump 1h per day, but on a Saturday morning (in Summer), it runs from 9am till we swim (around 13:00). In that time it raises the pool temp by about 4 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by InternetLuddite View Post
    How long are you guys running your pumps with the solar panels. Consodering my pool is only 24 with a cover, thinking maybe to run it more?
    5-6 hours. Cannot say how fast the temperature goes up / down, just that the pool temperature generally takes about 4-5 days to reach the "current daytime maximum temperature" (i.e. it lags about 4-5 days behind the average maximum temperature as the days heat up.)

We have a canvas type pool cover, which certainly contributes to pool heating.

THE MOTHER OF ALL CITIES - FAFK (airfield)

I had 6 panels for my 30kl pool.
    Worked like a dream. Water could get up to 36C on a good day. Most time it was 28 >32.

Late night swims or early morning straight out of bed swims were awesome.

Whatever they quote you for your pool get another 2 panels. The pool heats up quicker. The more water you expose to the sun the better.

These days with things like RPi you can build yourself a temp / timer to keep the pool temp constant and minimize pump on time.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke "

Fsck. I think my 7 panel solar panel jobbie running on for 5 hours a day to heat a 95k litre pool is not great. Three weeks later and with a solid PVC cover it's still only 24 degrees. 28-30 degrees would be awesome.

Thanks for info guys...28 degrees would be toasty....more or less what would installation cost for 8 panels in JHB?

THE MOTHER OF ALL CITIES - FAFK (airfield)

Quote Originally Posted by InternetLuddite View Post
    Fsck. I think my 7 panel solar panel jobbie running on for 5 hours a day to heat a 95k litre pool is not great. Three weeks later and with a solid PVC cover it's still only 24 degrees. 28-30 degrees would be awesome.
    too little panels - min 10 panels.

my panels were cheap. 40mm pvc piping with garden irrigation tubing. it lasted 7yrs and that's only because I removed them from my main roof to install a solar geyser

Name:  P7240009.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  138.6 KB

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke "

+ Reply to Thread