Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Entry level Gaming PC

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    A gtx 1060 3gb is only R600 more than a gtx 1050ti and for that R600 you get a LOT more performance.

R8900 will buy you i5-7500 CPU, H110 MB, 8GB RAM, 450W PSU, GTX 1060 3GB, Case these days, all brand new.
    Agree with all these, except I'd still go with a G4560 as it'll still be able to get the most out of the 3GB 1060 and at only about a thousand bucks.
    Fus Ro Dah

Quote Originally Posted by RokSwaab View Post
    I almost bought a 3GB 1060 myself but I knew I would have regretted it because eventually that amount of vram will be too little. In fact, I'd say 3GB should be the bare minimum vram for 1080p if you want good looking textures. But okay I guess it should be fine considering I was running games decent at 1080p with a 2GB card. It's just a strange design really and weird decision by nvidia. What you have here is a GPU perfectly capable of running games well at 1440p yet it's main limiting factor is the vram. That being said, even though it has 1GB less vram than the 1050 Ti, it's obviously still a much better card so the OP should go for that assuming he's okay with lowering the textures a bit.
    I've seen the 6GB card outperform the 3GB in far fewer situations than one would imagine, with only a few frames between the cards. But that's usually down to the 6GB card having a bit of extra muscle, with only a few situations being down to the extra memory. But yes the 6GB card is the better card and the better investment, but to see it perform better than the 3GB variant you have to start looking at 1440p gaming. By the time the 3GB card needs upgrading, you'll probably still have a much more usable card but it won't matter in most games. But that peace of mind may be worth the extra cash.
    Fus Ro Dah

I have not really seen many games require 3gb+ on my 6gb version and I mod games, even at 1440p it's ok. The design did not allow for 4gb unfortunately.
    There are quite a few games that use up to 4GB of vram even at 1080p. Games like AC Unity, Deus Ex Mankind Divided comes to mind. But that's also with the highest settings though. I know with my previous 2GB R9 270X I had to play with textures on medium in vram heavy games. But yeah I know what you mean, not every single game out there will be demanding on the vram. 3GB should be fine. Still though, if I look at it from my situation, I would have always had a bit of regret if I went with the 3GB version instead of the 6GB one.

Quote Originally Posted by Krosis View Post
    I've seen the 6GB card outperform the 3GB in far fewer situations than one would imagine, with only a few frames between the cards. But that's usually down to the 6GB card having a bit of extra muscle, with only a few situations being down to the extra memory. But yes the 6GB card is the better card and the better investment, but to see it perform better than the 3GB variant you have to start looking at 1440p gaming. By the time the 3GB card needs upgrading, you'll probably still have a much more usable card but it won't matter in most games. But that peace of mind may be worth the extra cash.
    Yep the card's actual power is quite similar to the 6GB version and the only advantage the 6GB has is the vram. But honestly, textures (imo at least) have a large impact on a game's visuals. With 4GB+ vram you'll have peace of mind. Not that I'm saying the OP should take a 4GB 1050 Ti over a 3GB 1060 though xd

There are quite a few games that use up to 4GB of vram even at 1080p. Games like AC Unity, Deus Ex Mankind Divided comes to mind. But that's also with the highest settings though. I know with my previous 2GB R9 270X I had to play with textures on medium in vram heavy games. But yeah I know what you mean, not every single game out there will be demanding on the vram. 3GB should be fine. Still though, if I look at it from my situation, I would have always had a bit of regret if I went with the 3GB version instead of the 6GB one.
    It will use as much vram as it can preloading stuff. If one looks at ghost recon wildlands for example it uses 4gb on the 6gb card while the 3gb card has all it's vram used but there is no stutering or anything like that. GTA V will warn you if the settings are gonna exceed the ram but I've found if you go like 200-300MB over it still runs fine. That does not apply to every game out there though.

Personally I would also go for the 6GB version but if you're on a tight budget then the 3GB version will do the job pretty well. If it comes down to picking a 4GB 1050ti or 3GB 1060 I'll take the 1060 without even thinking about it.
    Last edited by ponder; 05-10-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

It will use as much vram as it can preloading stuff. If one looks at ghost recon wildlands for example it uses 4gb on the 6gb card while the 3gb card has all it's vram used but there is no stutering or anything like that. GTA V will warn you if the settings are gonna exceed the ram but I've found if you go like 200-300MB over it still runs fine. That does not apply to every game out there though.

Personally I would also go for the 6GB version but if you're on a tight budget then the 3GB version will do the job pretty well. If it comes down to picking a 4GB 1050ti or 3GB 1060 I'll take the 1060 without even thinking about it.
    You are right indeed. Most of the time, the game just caches as much as it can. I remember Black Ops 3 back then stirred up some controversy because it was "using" 11GB vram. Regardless of that though, some games do in fact genuinely use more than 3GB vram. Believe it or not, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, stutters even on my 6GB 1060 using ultra textures. With very high textures then it runs without a hitch.Personally I do think that 3GB vram will be pushing it for the next few years but I guess it all just comes down to perspective. If you are fine with lowering textures a bit then 3GB should be enough. At the end of the day, 3GB should be enough to offer a good enough experience and it's not as if the OP wants the best machine money can buy.

Believe it or not, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, stutters even on my 6GB 1060 using ultra textures. With very high textures then it runs without a hitch.
    I'm running ultra textures without stuttering but I have some other stuff turned down (cloth physics comes to mind). I spent quite a lot of time going through all the settings tweaking for optimal looks/performance. I go through that process for all games I can't max out, wish I had a 1080ti then I won't have to worry

I'm running ultra textures without stuttering but I have some other stuff turned down (cloth physics comes to mind). I spent quite a lot of time going through all the settings tweaking for optimal looks/performance. I go through that process for all games I can't max out, wish I had a 1080ti then I won't have to worry
    Ya I have everything else turned up to the max. Perhaps I'll tinker a bit. I also enjoy tinkering but I guess I'm kinda different from other PC gamers in that depending on the game, I don't mind locking it to 30fps and pushing up the details as high as I can. Strange I know xd.

Ya I have everything else turned up to the max. Perhaps I'll tinker a bit. I also enjoy tinkering but I guess I'm kinda different from other PC gamers in that depending on the game, I don't mind locking it to 30fps and pushing up the details as high as I can. Strange I know xd.
    I was going to share my .ini config file with you last night only to realise it does not have one and that all the game settings are stored in the windows registry...

I was going to share my .ini config file with you last night only to realise it does not have one and that all the game settings are stored in the windows registry...
    I know MSAA is a killer so I don't worry with that. I max everything else while keeping the textures on Very High. I locked it to 30 because I don't enjoy framerates that fluctuate too much. Also I'm starting to become quite bottlenecked by my CPU in certain games so I lock the framerate in such cases too. Idk, I guess it is extreme but I tend to be either a locked 60fps or 30fps guy.

Do you have the same GPU ponder?

Do you have the same GPU ponder?
    Same as?

Got this one a year ago, https://www.wootware.co.za/galax-gef...hics-card.html

Same as in 1060 yes.

Sorry to hijack... Where does the RX570 fit in in all this?

Price wise and performance wise...

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Volksieboi View Post
    Sorry to hijack... Where does the RX570 fit in in all this?

Price wise and performance wise...

Ta
    Performance wise they trade blows with the GTX 1060 3GB, price wise the RX 570 4GB is about R700 more than the 3GB 1060 for the cheapest cards from both camps.

The issue with the 1060 & RE7 in that video is lack of vram, if you drop the shadow quality to high it's all good, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9ycYobK4U or you can turn shadow cache off http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,6.html
    Last edited by ponder; 08-10-2017 at 07:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast