Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar panels and pushing back into the grid.

Default Solar panels and pushing back into the grid.

I recently invested around R400k on renewable energy,solar panels and inverters etc.Kwadukuza municipality then promptly installed a One Dierctional meter prohibiting me from pushing electricity back into the grid,therefor making my total investment almost obsolute.In other words in the day time i am self sufficient in genrating my power usage,except at night i have use from the drid.if i had my old disc meter i would give back power in day time and once that was done i would give my excess power to the grid at no charge,but i am being denied this gesture.Any takes from somebody what the legal implecations would be if itook the matter further.I am sure there are lots of people in the same predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballito self storage View Post
    I recently invested around R400k on renewable energy,solar panels and inverters etc.Kwadukuza municipality then promptly installed a One Dierctional meter prohibiting me from pushing electricity back into the grid,therefor making my total investment almost obsolute.In other words in the day time i am self sufficient in genrating my power usage,except at night i have use from the drid.if i had my old disc meter i would give back power in day time and once that was done i would give my excess power to the grid at no charge,but i am being denied this gesture.Any takes from somebody what the legal implecations would be if itook the matter further.I am sure there are lots of people in the same predicament.
    Should have done research and got clearance before your investment. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Super Grandmaster

I don't think it's allowed anywhere in south Africa, 1 because it would be unsafe and 2 because the eksdom and municipalities would have no money.
    Reliable ISP wanted
    Have money
    Will pay

Phone them up and ask to install a bidirectional smart meter - they can't say no.

As long as you are a monthly net user then there isnt an issue. If you are a net exporter - an electricity producer - then things get complicated

Tbh your panel installer guys should have done this for you

At the moment there is no framework to allow for small-scale PV systems to be connected to the grid. What you were doing is technically illegal, and you only derived the benefit due to the way older rotary meters measure power. To legally use your current system to feedback into the grid you will have to register as a generator with Eskom; then you will have to negotiate a feedback tariff structure with the Kwadukuza municipality amongst other legal and technical requirements. Your 400k investment will quickly balloon into a multi-million Rand outlay.

There is talk about bringing in a framework, but it will be a while. The two main push backs are the cross-subsidisation of electricity and the potential loss of revenue for municipalities. Cape Town is the only municipality who is currently pursuing a framework, and you can connect to the grid and feed back, but their program does come with a lot of conditions such as you have to be a net user, and you need to pay R13/day access.

Quote Originally Posted by reactor_sa View Post
    I don't think it's allowed anywhere in south Africa, 1 because it would be unsafe and 2 because the eksdom and municipalities would have no money.
    I think youíre wrong. This was posted by CityPower in June. Why do you say itís unsafe? It happens all over the world.

Grandmaster

I have heard of situations where feeding back is allowed by Eskom as long as you are a net user of electricity. In other words, you can use your generation facilities to off-set your electricity bill, but once you reach 0 consumption, you will not be paid for any additional in-feeds into the grid. Unfortunately, this information was obtained verbally and I have no link or any kind of written source. I also don't know if this was for large power users only or whether normal households are included.

Faaiez is right is see City Power have launched their pilot:

1.6 EMBEDDED GENERATION TARIFF
    1.6.1. In terms of the provisions of the Electricity Regulation Act, (Act 4 of 2006) (ERA)
    the generation of electricity is a licensed activity, unless exempted by the Minister
    of Energy. The tariffs are therefore subjected to the provisions of the ERA and are
    currently interim / pilot
    1.6.2. This tariff will only apply to customers that are net consumers of City Power and
    who have invested in embedded generation capacity, are grid-tied and comply
    with all regulations regarding grid connection
    1.6.3. All Embedded Generators are required to register with City Power and the
    equipment used must comply with the technical standards required by City Power
    1.6.4. All Large Power Users and Business Customers who would be willing to invest in
    embedded generation with the purpose of supplementing their electricity
    supply from City Power will have to be on a conventional tariff structure. If
    they are currently on a pre-paid structure, they will be required to migrate to a
    conventional tariff structure
    1.6.5. All Residential Customers who would be willing to invest in embedded generation
    with the purpose of supplementing their electricity supply from City Power will
    have to be on a time-of-use, conventional tariff structure. If they are currently on
    a pre-paid structure, they will be required to migrate to the time-of-use
    conventional tariff structure
    1.6.6. Embedded Generators that are at any time capable of feeding back energy into
    the grid will require meters with bi-directional metering capability
    1.6.7. All parties that would invest in generating capacity and who would elect to only
    feed into the grid (and never draw from the grid) will be treated as an additional
    electricity supplier under a negotiated power purchase agreement
    1.6.8. This embedded generation tariff is only applicable to a maximum generation
    capacity of 1 MW

The OP will have to contact Kwadukuza municipality and see if they have a system in place or are going to put something in place.

I know someone in Bloemfontein who got a 2 way meter.

Super Grandmaster

Make an appointment with the chief electrical engineer and discuss it face-to-face. I did that in 2012, submitted a detailed project plan with all the necessary technical documentation, and came to an agreement. The municipality installed a 4-quadrant meter at their expense, and I've been exporting ever since, with nett metering. I have fully recovered my investment. Details in The Solar Power Thread.
    Last edited by Arthur; 01-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.

My cousin in Rondebosch (CT) was part of a pilot project feeding solar power into the grid (all legally compliant). Subsequently a prepaid meter was installed, that deducts units when he feeds into the grid!? He still has a bidirectional meter, and has to get periodic refunds from the council. Not user friendly!?

Default Solar panels and pushing back into the grid.

Durban and kwadukuza are a bit more hard arsed about this. You should have done your research before spending that kind of money

Your only real option is to setup a battery bank to hold over your excess capacity from the day to use at night
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Each municipality has it's own rules. Eskom said they were coming up with a framework 2 years ago, but it faded away and disappeared. I've often heard that you can feed back at 'megaflex' rates; but Eskom continues to expressly forbid feedback before your meter unless you are 'wheeling' on an official wheeling rate.

In short - as with everything about electricity - all the rules are LOCAL... to your municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by Faaiez View Post
    I think you’re wrong. This was posted by CityPower in June. Why do you say it’s unsafe?
    Unsafe - Ring feedback. Say they are working on an electrical line somewhere, their part of the electricity feed is isolated, but now you feed electricity back into the system - POOF - another fatal electrocution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast