Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony XZ

Default Sony XZ

On 6 September Sony released firmware Build # 41.2.A.7.65 for the Sony XZ phone with September's security update.. very important because of increased Android malware activity. XZ clients on Vodacom already received their update on 19 September, South Africa always a bit behind, but MTN has to be one better : on the first of October we still haven't received anything.... please MTN wake up!
    Last edited by Piet Le Roux; 01-10-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Piet Le Roux,

I've made some inquiries on this and will revert to you ASAP, apologies on the delay.
    Avada Kedavra!

Blog Entries

Update: I've received feedback that the OS has been tested and approved, we are just awaiting a release date now, I'll keep you posted as I hear it.
    Avada Kedavra!

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi Piet

Update:

"The Fota team is investigating why FOTA was not released. But stated the update should will be available by Friday. The new security update have been released for Oct and will come update your devices next week."

Holding thumbs
    Avada Kedavra!

I have just downloaded 41.2.A.7.65
    Thanks for your efforts

Blog Entries

Yesssssss! Glad to be of service!
    Avada Kedavra!

But now the Oktober security/firmware update was released yesterday : build 41.2.A.7.76
    Could MTN make it available before November?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Piet Le Roux View Post
    But now the Oktober security/firmware update was released yesterday : build 41.2.A.7.76
    Could MTN make it available before November?
    Wait, hold on....does this firmware update once a month???
    Avada Kedavra!

That's what Google recommend and does for their own devices but very few phone makers have been able to keep up with monthly updates...Sony seems to be managing it.

Big question can MTN manage to "check" it monthly....or shouldn't they rather just trust the experts and stop messing around with something they know nothing about?

Blog Entries

That i cant answer, I'm sure it all boils down to risk and security, everything has to be checked before it's allowed.

I'll have another word with the guys, but it's definitely not commonplace for a manufacturer to release firmware so frequently unless there is a problem with the previous build that needed tweaking.
    Avada Kedavra!

I am sorry to say this but your reply just proves my point : local service providers are totally out of touch with the status quo and should leave firmware updates to the manufacturers and owners of these devices.

Google releases a security update each month, which aims to correct flaws in their system. The objective is to ensure continued protection for users and to react quickly to security problems that could arise. This is the best defence against increased malware activity but not all cell phone manufacturers have been able to keep to this policy. Sony are one of the few that been doing this every month for their X range....but MTN don't even know about this policy and stuff's up everything by taking more than a month to release these prompt updates...if they even release them at all!
    Last edited by Piet Le Roux; 17-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemort View Post
    That i cant answer, I'm sure it all boils down to risk and security, everything has to be checked before it's allowed.

I'll have another word with the guys, but it's definitely not commonplace for a manufacturer to release firmware so frequently unless there is a problem with the previous build that needed tweaking.
    Google releases monthly security updates. Just like microsoft releases monthly updates. As a cellular carrier, you should know this..

I dont know why cell manufacturers just dont apply updates from a central location rather then hand out to cell providers to push updates.. that makes no sense.. Updates will occur faster from manufacturer

I hope android O address much of these issues.. Since google themselves will now push out security updates to all Android O devices
    Last edited by RedhotNeo; 22-10-2017 at 04:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast