Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You need city permission before using your flat as an Airbnb in Cape Town

Default You need city permission before using your flat as an Airbnb in Cape Town

You need city permission before using your flat as an Airbnb in Cape Town

As property prices and tourism continue grow in the Western Cape, an increasing number of home owners have begun letting out their property through the Airbnb app.

Super Grandmaster

Cape Town becoming more and more "nanny state" by the day.

Looking at the pic, the people protesting about airbnb, what is their grief?
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Airbnb is leading to rapid gentrification of certain areas.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    That's a good thing.
    After speculating about my d!ck size 10 times:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You really shouldn’t try and project your own problems and insecurities on other people, pencil d!ck.

A Djinn

Quote Originally Posted by Sl8er View Post
    Cape Town becoming more and more "nanny state" by the day.
    Nope, they just want more money from you.

“In terms of municipal planning by-laws, a block of flats cannot be used for holiday accommodation or hotel purposes,” said Herron.

“Any owner wishing to do short-term holiday letting from a block of flats, irrespective of the platform facilitating such letting – such as Airbnb or otherwise – must ensure the property is appropriately zoned, and must apply for consent from the city’s development management department.”
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

/subs
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool"

Oh, instead of rapid squalor... got it.
    saor is a dumbass

1) Cape Town has finite number of dwellings/properties (can't just expand cause of mountain and sea etc)
    2) Investors start buying properties to short term let i.e. airbnb
    3) Number of properties available to actually live in decline
    4) Thus demand > supply thus prices increase
    ???????
    5) People who actually live and work in this city no longer can afford to do so

My take on this as one of those affected (I cannot afford anything decent even with a well paying job) is that it is pretty evil. Yes the rich who already have wealth and are able to get into the market do very well. Tourism booms and those businesses do very well. All brilliant. The price though is you literally dislocate families and people who have a history and culture and make Cape Town, well Cape Town. It becomes a form of forced removal. If you think that is ok then cool. I personally do not.

EDIT: not directing that at you personally you are a pretty reasonable guy, rather speaking to the debate overall
    Last edited by AlmightyBender; 02-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    "Knowledge is a mirror"

Pushes the prices up so local south africans can no longer afford to rent in these areas. Try renting a bachelor flat in the cbd area or sea point for under R10000 a month, for example. Airbnb plays a big role here because people start renting out per day rather than per month. Anyone who actually wants to live in these areas needs to be pretty wealthy (relative to the population)
    LBRY is a free, open, and community-run digital marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyBender View Post
    1) Cape Town has finite number of dwellings/properties (can't just expand cause of mountain and sea etc)
    ???????

My take on this as one of those affected (I cannot afford anything decent even with a well paying job) is that it is pretty evil. Yes the rich who already have wealth and are able to get into the market do very well. Tourism booms and those businesses do very well. All brilliant. The price though is you literally dislocate families and people who have a history and culture and make Cape Town, well Cape Town. It becomes a form of forced removal. If you think that is ok then cool. I personally do not.

EDIT: not directing that at you personally you are a pretty reasonable guy, rather speaking to the debate overall
    That's my take on it as well. Because properties are so affordable here from an international perspective, the issue is only going to get worse. Feel for those who cannot afford to buy any properties there. Now, it's almost impossible imo.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waiting for the day when the whole of Cape Town is owned by foreign investors, and is milking every person in Cape Town for rent.
    Businesses included.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Hmmm... assuming properties close to airports would be rented more frequently(overnight stays etc)... good time to invest in properties boksburg side *strokes beard*

That's my take on it as well. Because properties are so affordable here from an international perspective, the issue is only going to get worse. Feel for those who cannot afford to buy any properties there. Now, it's almost impossible imo.
    There will always be areas that people can't afford to buy. This leads to the development of areas where they can. This is growth and progress. This happens regardless of the existence of Airbnb.

Besides which the scope for short term rentals is limited. It will reach saturation soon enough.
    After speculating about my d!ck size 10 times:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You really shouldn’t try and project your own problems and insecurities on other people, pencil d!ck.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyBender View Post
    ???????

Don't worry, I understood that.

Mmmm, I wonder if it is a bubble that will inflate enough to burst. Where are all the people coming from that can afford the high prices? At some stage there will be market saturation.
    saor is a dumbass

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast