Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: SMTP settings for RAIN ??

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    There are quite a few people making use of the ISP's SMTP servers... Let me put it this way, many lazy techies still use it, as they don't always know the users' password or are just plain lazy, so they use the ISP's SMTP Server, as a quick solution.

    Time is money and more calls = money. Been there, got the T-Shirt.
    Aahh...i guess i'm (was) one of those....but i've always was told by all ISP's i've been so far (like 5 of them) to use their smtp.blah.blah.co.za/net settings
    This comes as an email with all the email settings when you open a new website for instance.
    In short i never knew...up till now.
    Still it doesn't help Iburst and their helpline or any of their users NOT to HAVE decent FAQ about this.
    Get yourself an Electrical Vehicle...Save the Earth and your wallet.

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTR View Post
    R1200 for 30GB is a rip off...

    Mmm - when I chatted to I-Burst/RAIN a while ago (I'm on the Early.Connect package direct with I-Burst/RAIN), I was told -
    1.) There is no way that you can monitor your data usage at this stage (But I found that you can check total usage for the month on the dashboard for the router).
    2.) When the data cap is reached, it runs out and you will have no further connectivity until the start of the next month.
    3.) There is no ability to "Top Up" during the month once your data is depleted.
    4.) The above is in force until commercial packages are advised.

    Although the above related to the initial trail period which ended 31 Aug, there has been no further communication from I-Burst/RAIN as to any changes to the Early.Connect packages, so one could make the assumption that the above is still true. Not sure of your ISP and/or package arrangements.

    So, if you have nothing in writing to the contrary, then I assume you can make a case against them for providing "OOB" data contrary to your agreement cap, for not advising you that the capped amount of data has been fully utilised, for not providing you with the ability to monitor your data usage, and for not providing you with the ability to Top-up if needed. Hey, maybe if you fight it, you may get some refund?

    Just saying..
    I migrated (early connect option) and wanted to try the LTE-A (speed etc.etc.) Obviously took the cheapest option to try it out.
    So far it "sort off" works for me, but i need more data and can not find a way to upgrade to 50GB package.
    And yes, the modem has a dashboard with "estimate usage" but it is not very accurate.
    Iburst does not provide any other option for data monitoring on LTE_A (and I suspect my data sort off leaks out...cos i know my average usage)
    No Top Up option Yes but my data just kept rolling although I suspect there was throttling going on.
    I usually reach 20GB by 20th of month...so for the remaining 10 days data usage went to almost 50GB and was charged insanely heavy in my opinion.
    Im thinking to talk to the lawyers and see what comes out of this. Might not be worth knowing the rates lawyers charge though.

    I'm also interested if I can move to another LTE_A provider...?
    Get yourself an Electrical Vehicle...Save the Earth and your wallet.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMate View Post
    I migrated (early connect option) and wanted to try the LTE-A (speed etc.etc.) Obviously took the cheapest option to try it out.
    So far it "sort off" works for me, but i need more data and can not find a way to upgrade to 50GB package.
    And yes, the modem has a dashboard with "estimate usage" but it is not very accurate.
    Iburst does not provide any other option for data monitoring on LTE_A (and I suspect my data sort off leaks out...cos i know my average usage)
    No Top Up option Yes but my data just kept rolling although I suspect there was throttling going on.
    I usually reach 20GB by 20th of month...so for the remaining 10 days data usage went to almost 50GB and was charged insanely heavy in my opinion.
    Im thinking to talk to the lawyers and see what comes out of this. Might not be worth knowing the rates lawyers charge though.

    I'm also interested if I can move to another LTE_A provider...?
    Check your Early.Connect contract - you definitely have a leg to stand on.

    From mine -
    Top-ups
    No mid-month top-ups are possible. lf the data cap is
    exhausted you will need to wait for the 1st of the following
    month
    for the next data allocation. Your existing iBurst
    modem will continue to function.

    (The usage of the old modem was obviously changed with their notice of termination of the old network. But they allowed you to exceed your data allocation, contrary to your contract/agreement with them. Why should you be held responsible for exorbitant costs relate thereto for their inability to control/stop the usage).
    iBurst Termination
    The service will cease to function as the SIM card will be
    deregistered from the network. However as part of this
    process you will be invited to take-up one of the
    commercial offers available at that time, whether offered
    through iBurst or one of its appointed partners.

    (Nothing has been formally advised by iBurst/Rain re invitation to take up a commercial offer - and the sim card still works - so it's not yet terminated = agreement still in place(??).)
    However -
    Contract Duration
    This agreement terminates, without further notice on
    31st August 2017 and there shall be no further obligation
    between the parties as regards the subject matter hereof.

    But we are still active and being charged the originally agreed rate [if you did not exceed you monthly allocation, that is] (i.e. no additional contract or notification has been advised).

    Furthermore - there is NOTHING in my contract that states that if you exceed your monthly allocation that you would be required to pay R xx.xx per GB.

    I'm no legal beagle - just using common sense....

    Any one out there with contract experience and some legal background care to provide some comment or advice?

  4. #19
    Super Grandmaster SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Posts
    7,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMate View Post
    Aahh...i guess i'm (was) one of those....but i've always was told by all ISP's i've been so far (like 5 of them) to use their smtp.blah.blah.co.za/net settings
    This comes as an email with all the email settings when you open a new website for instance.
    In short i never knew...up till now.
    Still it doesn't help Iburst and their helpline or any of their users NOT to HAVE decent FAQ about this.
    So you were miss-informed. Technically, yes, it should work, but as you have experienced, it's not always the case. Also, if your account was set up for IMAP, it's best to use "your" mail server, as mail will be sync and then available on other devices.

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    All of a sudden I am having problems with this same issue. Worked till last night and now I am finding out my mails for the day did not go out. I was using smtp.afrihost.co.za as my outgoing server on Imap account. Now nothing works. I tried everything in this thread. ( I think :-)

    My Cpanel details
    Incoming Server: ilithyia.aserv.co.za
    IMAP: Port 993
    POP3: Port 995
    Outgoing Server: ilithyia.aserv.co.za
    SMTP: Port 465

    No joy with that either.

    Using Windows Live mail.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    All of a sudden I am having problems with this same issue. Worked till last night and now I am finding out my mails for the day did not go out. I was using smtp.afrihost.co.za as my outgoing server on Imap account. Now nothing works. I tried everything in this thread. ( I think :-)

    My Cpanel details
    Incoming Server: ilithyia.aserv.co.za
    IMAP: Port 993
    POP3: Port 995
    Outgoing Server: ilithyia.aserv.co.za
    SMTP: Port 465

    No joy with that either.

    Using Windows Live mail.
    OK, that was not my cPanel, but Client Zone details.

    cPanel manual settings actually works.
    Incoming Server: mail.klerksdorpcc.co.za
    IMAP Port: 143
    POP3 Port: 110
    Outgoing Server: mail.klerksdorpcc.co.za
    SMTP Port: 25
    Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Just been on a call for an hour to Afrihost, including holding time in the Q.

    Problem is that telkom account outgoing server stopped working.

    Afri confirm that it should be smtp.afrihost.co.za

    It did work the last few days on my Rain account.

    They explain that Rain does not have a smtp server yet and that users must use their ISP smtp, in my case afrihost.

    They are now investigating and will follow up with me in an hour, to hear if it started working again...

    Apparently I am not the first to report the problem. That he says after he tried for like 15min, working on my PC via anydesk.

  8. #23
    Super Grandmaster SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Posts
    7,579

    Default

    Use the SMTP server of your email provider, as mentioned previously in this thread... This will always work, no matter if you are on LTE/ADSL/FIBRE/WISP.

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Use the SMTP server of your email provider, as mentioned previously in this thread... This will always work, no matter if you are on LTE/ADSL/FIBRE/WISP.
    I think I did mention that smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net does not work on the Rain LTE account. No problem on my Telkom ADSL account.

    Is there something that I do not understand? It is not a hosting package email, like my others with Afrihost. Your comments helped me to sort those out.

    Also, Afrihost themselves confirm that I should use smtp.afrihost.co.za and that there is something wrong with it.

  10. #25
    Super Grandmaster SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Posts
    7,579

    Default

    If you are using and @telkomsa.net account or @vodamail.co.za account, try using port 587? It will help if you tell us the @something part of you email address?

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Afrihost sorted the problem. If it is a temp. solution, I can not tell.

    So for you Telkom email users out there, that switched to Afrihost's Rain LTE, use smtp.internet.co.za as your outgoing server for the time being.

    SharkBait, thanks for trying to get me a permanent solution. The answer on your question.
    @telkomsa.net
    Last edited by Xman; 10-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMate View Post
    Thanks,...tried it already and no joy....The server responded: 550 relay not permitted!

    is the LTE-A and dsl same settings on IS?
    cos Iburst have no answers...
    This is also the same error I get. I have been given the same smtp you tried by Afrihost support and it also gives a 2nd msg say "Time Out - try again"

    Told Afrihost support it does not work and they have failed to give me any other outgoing server setting.

    This means I have to switch back to ADSL in order to send mail.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Klerksdorp
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    This is also the same error I get. I have been given the same smtp you tried by Afrihost support and it also gives a 2nd msg say "Time Out - try again"

    Told Afrihost support it does not work and they have failed to give me any other outgoing server setting.

    This means I have to switch back to ADSL in order to send mail.
    Is the solution I got from Afrihost not working for you? What is your email's @something part?

  14. #29

    Default

    Thanks for posting this solution to sending mail. smtp.internet.co.za

    Now my mail is working spot on.

    I am still awaiting Afrihost support to provide another server setting for Rain. Support just seems to be non existend.

    Even leaving a msg on a live chat link only gets a reply 2-3 days later. I thought live chat puts you in touch with a person and not just a link that one MUST show on a web page.

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Use the SMTP server of your email provider, as mentioned previously in this thread... This will always work, no matter if you are on LTE/ADSL/FIBRE/WISP.
    Very interesting way of getting the outgoing server to work. I have over the years found that the actual data connection I am using is the only way of getting mail sent. I have tried using my mail ISP's outgoing server and it fails when I use any of the 3 main mobile networks for data.

    Rain via Afrihost
    Ping: 19ms
    Download: 50.52Mbps
    Upload: 8.87Mbps
    Last edited by ekkekan; 10-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 8ta smtp settings
    By PiscesLady22 in forum Telkom Mobile (8ta) Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. 8ta SMTP settings
    By appels in forum Telkom Mobile (8ta) Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-01-2011, 08:43 AM
  3. SMTP settings
    By rIPster in forum Telkom Mobile (8ta) Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-09-2009, 08:25 PM
  4. SMTP settings
    By kaspaas in forum MTN Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, 3G, EDGE and BIS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-01-2006, 11:56 AM
  5. SMTP settings
    By BloemGuy in forum MTN Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, 3G, EDGE and BIS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •